E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Turkey Brining

We're hosting this year and was wondering if anyone had any brining suggestions.

I know there is the honey brine from the Thanksgiving thread, but has anyone tried anything else? I was looking for more of a traditional flavor since my relatives are simple country folk. Also, I'll be working out of an oven since I don't have a BBQ large enough for a whole turkey.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese

BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
justinrn21

My Ride: 00 323ci / 91 318is
I brined a turkey last year. I kept it simple with salt, sugar, and pepper and let it sit overnight. It was one of the best turkeys I have made. I think the more traditional flavor works best unless you know exactly what kind of flavor your guests prefer
Old 11-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
I've used this recipe before and it works great.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/C...ey-2466350.php

Brine:

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups kosher salt

2 1/2 gallons cold water

2 bay leaves, torn into pieces

1 bunch fresh thyme

1 head of garlic, cloves separated and peeled

5 whole allspice berries, crushed

4 juniper berries, smashed (see Note)

I've also deep fried our last few turkeys and a goose and they came out awesome. It cooks at 3 minutes a lb and you free up your oven for side dishes and pie.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
I start the brine a day before I need to use it. I will take half of the required water and add whatever seasonings to it and bring to a boil for at least 45 minutes. Then I'll add ice to it to get it reasonably cool before throwing it into the fridge to fully cool down.

Anything that gets thrown into the brine will get passed onto the flavor of the meat.

Sage, rosemary and thyme are staples in any savory turkey brine in my opinion.
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I'm thinking this:
Quote:
Ingredients

3 cups Apple Juice Or Apple Cider
2 gallons Cold Water
4 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary Leaves
5 cloves Garlic, Minced
1-1/2 cup Kosher Salt
2 cups Brown Sugar
3 Tablespoons Peppercorns
5 whole Bay Leaves
Peel Of Three Large Oranges

Preparation Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat and cover.

Allow to cool completely, then pour into a large brining bag or pot. Place uncooked turkey in brine solution, then refrigerate for 16 to 24 hours.

When ready to roast turkey, remove turkey from brine. Submerge turkey in a pot or sink of fresh, cold water. Allow to sit in clean water for 15 minutes to remove excess salt from the outside.

Discard brine. Remove turkey from clean water, pat dry, and cook according to your normal roasting method.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-turkey-brine/

Maybe tweak it by loading the cavity with some fresh sage and a chopped up apple. It would add some flavor as well as moisture.

She has some good tips as what to do after the brining. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...after-brining/

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese

BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
dasblack

My Ride: '01 330ci
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
dasblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
Re: Turkey Brining

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasblack View Post
This..... honestly the best turkey you can make besides frying imo. One of the greatest shows on tv too. Have almost all of them recorded

xbox live: stopthisfall

Last edited by iwannagofast; 11-25-2013 at 10:41 AM.
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
+1 on keep it simple

1 gallon of water : 1 cup of salt : 1/2 cup of sugar (optional, brown or regular doesn't matter)

Last year I did the whole boiling the water with all the thyme/bay leaves etc in a cheese cloth, let it cool, add ice, etc etc then brine. It was good, but it wasn't necessary. Your basic salt and water is your essential, anything else, idk i personally can take it or leave it.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
The brine is everything. I have a secret concoction I soak my bird in for 24 hours prior to putting it in the smoke. Simple is ok but it's easy enough to add some very noticeable savory flavor with the moisture. I do not boil any of my ingredients prior to the brine but I do recommend something that has a bit of acidity to it. Apple cider is one of my main ingredients.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Quote:
Brining alters the chemical structure of proteins by breaking some of the bonds that give proteins their shape. The salt denatures the meat proteins, causing them to unwind and form a matrix that traps the water. According to David Krauss, a professor of biology at Boston College, those bonds are sensitive to changes in temperature, acidity and salinity, causing the proteins themselves to break down a bit in brines and allowing the salt, sugar, and other flavoring agents to permeate the food's flesh.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.

Last edited by joeski3d; 11-25-2013 at 07:33 PM.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
JJR4884

Turkey Brining

"Secret concoction"

Lol please, unless it's a multi generation recipe that has kept a family owned restaurant in business for all these years, share the wealth you pretentious old fart.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
"Secret concoction"

Lol please, unless it's a multi generation recipe that has kept a family owned restaurant in business for all these years, share the wealth you pretentious old fart.

i agree
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
joeski3d

Negative! I have plans to make money off this recipe.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
JJR4884

Turkey Brining

Who are you kidding, you are nearing retirement age.... Dish it my friend. I've put up enough damn recipes to request a "secret concoction"

Old 11-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #14
joeski3d

Not until my dreams are shattered kid.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
JJR4884

loser
Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
joeski3d

Winner, winner! Smoked turkey dinner!

Anyone know of a smoked turkey contest? I've been looking to get an award for my skills.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
JJR4884

I don't compete with stuck up self inflated losers who think they have "the best"

But I can assure you, going toe to toe with you with anything would be a walk in the park. I don't have dimentia and arthritis on my side holding me back.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
Re: Turkey Brining

Just did a gallon of boiling water. Pound of honey and salt and about 8 pounds of ice.... going to do this one in my orion bbq convection cooker smoker thingy with a mixture of apple and hickory. I also have another one I'm going to roast with alton browns recipe. Happy thanksgiving guys

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
I don't compete with stuck up self inflated losers who think they have "the best"

But I can assure you, going toe to toe with you with anything would be a walk in the park. I don't have dimentia and arthritis on my side holding me back.
LOL... someone step on your mouse balls kid? Piss off. I posted a link to a website that pretty much spells it out. If your reading comprehension skills are lacking you should be bitching at yourself. I couldn't care less about your need to know what I'm doing. All I know is my recipe has fans and draws a crowd. Self inflated? Hardly. I did it as an experiment one year. Others inflated it. I can't help it if they want it every year. I just enjoy making it. Friends, family and myself believe it to be better than any other bird we've ever tasted.

Not sure how you would like to be schooled in this department. I'm not going out of my way to prove something to you. It seems your the one with a complex. I'm the one that doesn't give a crap. Bring your best.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #20
JJR4884

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh someone is getting defensive!!!!

Relax old man, i'm busting your balls. You don't want to give your "recipe" out so I'm going to give you a hard time about it. I read the website, and I know a fair amount about brining as well. I think by now you should know I can hold my own in the kitchen or on the grill... but, I'm all about "sharing is caring" and enjoy giving out my little hints/tricks/recipes when it comes to certain dishes, especially on this website. I was intrigued by your "secret concoction" but if you want to take a selfish approach to your recipe and not share it with a few strangers across the country that are merely interested, well then that's just fine. I feel its extremely silly and slightly juvenile to be so protective of this recipe that you started just a year ago.

But suit yourself... its all good. Happy Thanksgiving