E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 202 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #521
Haug523

My Ride: Bmw E39 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy@avinusa.com View Post
Haug523: If our chip suppliers develop new drivers that support Android 4 that might be an option. Keep in mind though that Android 4 is more demanding and requires faster cpu and more system RAM to run properly. So if Android 4 is possible on the Avant-1 units it might run slower and less responsive then the current Android version.
Ok, but will you continue to develope this for E39 aswell as the E46 so that there will be an V2 for the E39 also?
Haug523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:08 AM   #522
Walter_

My Ride: 2004 325 SMG coupé
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy@avinusa.com View Post
Haug523: If our chip suppliers develop new drivers that support Android 4 that might be an option. Keep in mind though that Android 4 is more demanding and requires faster cpu and more system RAM to run properly. So if Android 4 is possible on the Avant-1 units it might run slower and less responsive then the current Android version.
Are you talking about Kitkat? How could kitkat be slower if its developed for less powerful devices.
I read many reviews about Kitkat talking about this...

Android Kitkat boot up in 21 seconds instead 40 seconds for Android Jelly Bean.
Any device with Android 4.4 will benefit from the memory optimization, and it's a breeze to skip in and out of apps and games. This speedy performance is no surprise on a powerhouse like the Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 with their 2GB of RAM, but it really stands out on a device like the Moto G with 1GB of RAM.
That's what makes KitKat so important for the budget end of the Android market.
Google's Project Svelte enables the platform to run reliably on devices with just 512MB of RAM. It could be a viable update for devices stuck on Gingerbread.
A 'low memory' mode can automatically scale back animations and ensure that the hardware can cope. The real barrier to this is persuading manufacturers and carriers to update old devices when they'd prefer you to buy a new one.

If i read this i would think that any AvinUSA Avant will run smoother and faster with Android Kitkat or am I wrong?
Walter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #523
SmokeyDP

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_ View Post
Are you talking about Kitkat? How could kitkat be slower if its developed for less powerful devices.
I read many reviews about Kitkat talking about this...

Android Kitkat boot up in 21 seconds instead 40 seconds for Android Jelly Bean.
Any device with Android 4.4 will benefit from the memory optimization, and it's a breeze to skip in and out of apps and games. This speedy performance is no surprise on a powerhouse like the Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 with their 2GB of RAM, but it really stands out on a device like the Moto G with 1GB of RAM.
That's what makes KitKat so important for the budget end of the Android market.
Google's Project Svelte enables the platform to run reliably on devices with just 512MB of RAM. It could be a viable update for devices stuck on Gingerbread.
A 'low memory' mode can automatically scale back animations and ensure that the hardware can cope. The real barrier to this is persuading manufacturers and carriers to update old devices when they'd prefer you to buy a new one.

If i read this i would think that any AvinUSA Avant will run smoother and faster with Android Kitkat or am I wrong?
What this guy said:
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...-of-ram-440357

It runs fine on my Galaxy S with 512MB of ram but it has an older 1GB CPU so perhaps that is the bottle neck.
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels

Last edited by SmokeyDP; 04-06-2014 at 08:44 AM.
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #524
X-310-e46-X

My Ride: e46
Anybody got one of these beautiiful units for sale? Used? I'm poor.
X-310-e46-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #525
Bishopgoldy

My Ride: '05 M3 '92 325is
I might depending

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Bishopgoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #526
raichean

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3 cabrio
I have ordered the Avin Avant-2, including ODBC remote module and rear backup camera for my E46 M3 vert. Also, I have committed to doing a detailed DIY guide, of the quality level I did for my convertible repair guide last year. So.. will have new info soon, parts are on the way, and I am super excited to get on this project!

Lots of variables.. already knuckle-chewing over where to put the GPS receiver! 8)
raichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #527
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Mines on the strut bar directly behind the HU. Works perfectly and is hidden.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #528
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR7 View Post
Mines on the strut bar directly behind the HU. Works perfectly and is hidden.
Great info thanks! Really looking forward to this project and the final results.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #529
PeteyEsco

My Ride: '02 325xiT
Can you still change stations and control the volume from the steering wheel?
PeteyEsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #530
Bishopgoldy

Was seriously doubting my purchase the last few days but tommy's support makes this unit worth the trail and error seriously!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #531
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyEsco View Post
Can you still change stations and control the volume from the steering wheel?

So the steering wheel controls absolutely work, and flawlessly including things like the phone I didn't have before.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #532
raichean

So just got my unit installed and running this afternoon, not bad considering it was like 2 hours after it got dropped off! I plan on building out the DIY install and review ASAP, but initial impressions are simple..

GOOD GOD WOW!

Yeah.. seriously impressed!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #533
Dan04E46

My Ride: '04 S54B32 Coupe
Link to diy here please.

DAN WAS HERE
2001 330Ci= Sold :(
2004 M3 coupe= Mine! :D
Dan04E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #534
Bishopgoldy

Ok im having serious issues with my head unit, I use usb and sd for music playback and movies. Well if I have both hooked up everytime I go back while in usb it will search for sd and switch, sometimes if sd is not installed it will say no sd and close out. Also with the usb everytime I shut my car off, it will say usb was unexpectedly ejected and even though the usb is still installed it wont allow me to use it until I hard boot the unit.about 2 times. Lastly in power amp it will occasionally tell me folder is missing, and freeze... is anyone else having these issues and what can I do to fix it

Old 04-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #535
Walter_

My Ride: 2004 325 SMG coupé
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopgoldy View Post
Ok im having serious issues with my head unit, I use usb and sd for music playback and movies. Well if I have both hooked up everytime I go back while in usb it will search for sd and switch, sometimes if sd is not installed it will say no sd and close out. Also with the usb everytime I shut my car off, it will say usb was unexpectedly ejected and even though the usb is still installed it wont allow me to use it until I hard boot the unit.about 2 times. Lastly in power amp it will occasionally tell me folder is missing, and freeze... is anyone else having these issues and what can I do to fix it

Did you try other sd cards and usb sticks?
I am curious about the solution
Walter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #536
tommy@avinusa.com
AKA: M3Evolution

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopgoldy View Post

If there is no sdcard inserted in the media slot it is normal for the sdcard app to close because it did not detect any sdcard. There are two separate apps one for USB and for SD.

When you turn off your car do you have the unit set to go into standby mode or full shut down?
tommy@avinusa.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #537
Bishopgoldy

Different sd cards yes

Old 04-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #538
Bishopgoldy

You all mis understood, if im in the usb app and I select a song, then when I hit the back button or icon to chose anothe r song or video it closes and says no sd inserted. Then when I shut the car off and come back later it says it was unexpectedly disconnected and wont recognize me inserting it again unless I reboot it about twice. And it is set up for standbye

Old 04-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #539
Bishopgoldy

Ok an update, now if usb inserted, after playing a song approx 5 minutes, usb unexpectedly ejected itself.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #540
PeteyEsco

My Ride: '02 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
So just got my unit installed and running this afternoon, not bad considering it was like 2 hours after it got dropped off! I plan on building out the DIY install and review ASAP, but initial impressions are simple..

GOOD GOD WOW!

Yeah.. seriously impressed!
Hey can you take a video of you using it? I'd like to see if you can have it on FM radio mode and you change the stations from the steering wheel.

Thanks

PeteyEsco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, avant, avin, dynavin, eonon, m3evolution