E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 202 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #541
Qtonic

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyEsco View Post
Hey can you take a video of you using it? I'd like to see if you can have it on FM radio mode and you change the stations from the steering wheel.
You can change the stations from the wheel. I believe it cycles through your presets. For more information about the radio you can check out this video around 3:25...

Qtonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #542
raichean

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3 cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtonic View Post
You can change the stations from the wheel. I believe it cycles through your presets. For more information about the radio you can check out this video around 3:25...

It does.. it cycles through the presets. All of my steering wheel controls work perfectly!
raichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #543
PeteyEsco

My Ride: '02 325xiT
Sweet, thanks!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
PeteyEsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #544
Qtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
It does.. it cycles through the presets. All of my steering wheel controls work perfectly!
Agree. I've been really impressed with all the wheel buttons! I just recently discovered that the R/T button cycles through the different inputs, which is sweet.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #545
Bishopgoldy

My Ride: '05 M3 '92 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtonic View Post

Can you dowload open mic and see if the hotkey "ok google" actually works???? Im really thinking about upgrading

Bishopgoldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #546
Qtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopgoldy View Post
Can you dowload open mic and see if the hotkey "ok google" actually works???? Im really thinking about upgrading

I have gotten 'ok google navigate to...' to work using the google voice search app. The problem is that google maps seems to be crashing when navigating. I will test other commands and also look into open mic as well.

Also it seemed that the voice search app was applying a lot of noise suppression when the car was on. The M3 makes a quite a droning sound and it seems to be interacting with that. I need to experiment more, but for now I have to practically yell if the car is on. Interestingly, bluetooth calls seem to do ok with the car on, so thankfully the hardware seems able to do fine. Mic setting may even be an option in voice search app. Just need to play around a bit more.

I'll try out other functions and report back.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #547
Bishopgoldy

Good to know

Old 04-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #548
RelaxIN

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Yes... same here... Google NAV is crashing on me as well... again, I'm sure a fix will be out. I'd like to find a nice High rez BMW wall paper for the background or even a nice live wallpaper equalizer for the background... I'm also going to pick up a 32G Micro SD card tonight as well... What are you guys using if I might ask...?
RelaxIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #549
Bishopgoldy

3 class 10 16gb and 2usb on a hub Kensington and SanDisk

Old 04-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #550
alirz

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe.2003
You think someone has reported the crash and is someone going to be looking into it?

alirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:50 PM   #551
Qtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alirz View Post
You think someone has reported the crash and is someone going to be looking into it?
Yeah when I reported it they were already aware of it. It's being investigated.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:50 PM   #552
skelzy

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Hey, so I installed the AVIN unit and it works fine and has power however I have no sound. I have JL stealth boxes and an aftermarket amp. Wondering if I'm supposed to use this wire off the included plug and run it to my aftermarket amp? It's labeled "Amp-Con" and is orange... Any thoughts?

Old 04-29-2014, 12:10 AM   #553
Qtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelzy View Post
Hey, so I installed the AVIN unit and it works fine and has power however I have no sound. I have JL stealth boxes and an aftermarket amp. Wondering if I'm supposed to use this wire off the included plug and run it to my aftermarket amp? It's labeled "Amp-Con" and is orange... Any thoughts?
The stealthboxes are for your subs, correct? Do you get any sound from your regular speakers?

Did you run the RCA cable back to the sub amp? If so then yes, you need to run a small gauge wire back to the amp and connect it to the Amp-Con wire.

If you didn't run the RCA cable and instead were planning to use line level inputs on the amp, then that would be different. Report back and I'll try to help you from there as best as I can.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:21 AM   #554
Qtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopgoldy View Post
Update: The open mic app from the play store says the device isn't supported (says it's for phones). But you can see my review of Google Voice Search in this thread.

The good news to me is that the newer version of the search app works well and resolves the issue with the noise cancellation with the engine running that I mentioned earlier.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #555
jrj127

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Connecting to two Bluetooth devices

I have the 1st generation AVANT E46 model. I am using the RaceChrono app to datalog GPS & OBD-2 data during track events. I just got an external Bluetooth GPS receiver and cannot seem to get both the external GPS & OBD-2 data simultaneously. Is the AVIN unit capable of connecting to two Bluetooth devices simultaneously? I will not be pairing my BT phone to the AVIN during this time.

External Bluetooth GPS: QSTARZ BT-Q818XT
Bluetooth OBD-2: included with purchase of AVIN unit (black w/ blue button)

I do not understand the AVIN's Bluetooth pairing scheme. The only option in the settings are to scan for OBD devices. When I do the scan, I see the GPS & OBD-2 devices. It would not connect with the GPS device until I entered the PIN to 0000. After I did that, RaceChrono could get data from the GPS device. However, it wouldn't read from the OBD-2 device anymore.

I tried deleting the 0000 from the PIN setting but it would not let me. I believe this PIN of 0000 prevents me from connecting to the OBD-2 device at all.

This is all preliminary from this morning so I have not tried many options. I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Jared
jrj127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #556
Walter_

My Ride: 2004 325 SMG coupé
Why using the QSTARZ BT-Q818XT with bluetooth, if u use the usb, your enable the 5 or 10 Hz wich is faster than the 1hz over the bluethoot
Walter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #557
jrj127

BT-Q818XT is capable of 10 Hz GPS rate over Bluetooth. The AVIN unit should be capable of that as well. AVIN should also be able to read OBD-2 over Bluetooth simultaneously.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #558
tommy@avinusa.com
AKA: M3Evolution

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj127 View Post
I have the 1st generation AVANT E46 model. I am using the RaceChrono app to datalog GPS & OBD-2 data during track events. I just got an external Bluetooth GPS receiver and cannot seem to get both the external GPS & OBD-2 data simultaneously. Is the AVIN unit capable of connecting to two Bluetooth devices simultaneously? I will not be pairing my BT phone to the AVIN during this time.

External Bluetooth GPS: QSTARZ BT-Q818XT
Bluetooth OBD-2: included with purchase of AVIN unit (black w/ blue button)

I do not understand the AVIN's Bluetooth pairing scheme. The only option in the settings are to scan for OBD devices. When I do the scan, I see the GPS & OBD-2 devices. It would not connect with the GPS device until I entered the PIN to 0000. After I did that, RaceChrono could get data from the GPS device. However, it wouldn't read from the OBD-2 device anymore.

I tried deleting the 0000 from the PIN setting but it would not let me. I believe this PIN of 0000 prevents me from connecting to the OBD-2 device at all.

This is all preliminary from this morning so I have not tried many options. I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Jared
The Avant can connect to Bluetooth Handsfree and only one Bluetooth data profile at a time. This mean you can only connect the OBD2 device OR your GPS device at any one time and not both at the same time.
tommy@avinusa.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #559
jrj127

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy@avinusa.com View Post
The Avant can connect to Bluetooth Handsfree and only one Bluetooth data profile at a time. This mean you can only connect the OBD2 device OR your GPS device at any one time and not both at the same time.
Thanks, Tommy. Am I correct that this is a software limitation in the Bluetooth stack? It seems to be a non-standard Android Bluetooth stack. If so, I would really like the software to be updated to handle this situation. This would be a great feature to allow multiple Bluetooth data profiles. As I mentioned, I will not need a Bluetooth Handsfree during this event; could that free-up the capability for two data profiles?

Or, could I use the USB port to connect a Bluetooth dongle to allow the second data profile?
Old 05-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #560
PeteyEsco

My Ride: '02 325xiT
Anyone using the Garmin app on thier Avin?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.obn.client

I do not like using Google for navigation.
PeteyEsco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, avant, avin, dynavin, eonon, m3evolution