E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 206 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #581
alirz

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe.2003
Official: ///AVIN BMW E46 Full Android Multimedia Navigation System - Info an...

Can the music player be set to only show root level folders from the media sd card?

Currently it's pulling all sub folders and displaying them. This is making it impossible for me to find songs/artist that I want to look for.

I keep my music arranged with a folder structure of : artist folder > album(s) folder > song files

I would like to have the music player show music in a similar way so that I can simply Browse by artist first and dig down to a max of two folder levels.

Thanks

Last edited by alirz; 05-10-2014 at 11:29 PM.
alirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #582
Qtonic

My Ride: M3
moved to other thread

Last edited by Qtonic; 05-10-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Qtonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #583
keBMW

My Ride: E46
Anyone notice with the AVIN unit...
1) when using onboard navigation programs Sygic, Navigon, or Copilot (all USA or North American versions from Google Play) other audio is disabled?
--For example, if listening to the radio during GPS-navigation, the radio (or BT or USB) audio will cease as soon as the text-to-speech directions are broadcasted by either Navigation program listed above. Vice versa, if the radio audio dominates, then the navigation audio ceases (perplexing). The audio of thes Nav programs work well my phone Android 4.x. Note: these programs no longer have an option to adjust their audio separately, even though the instructions on their respective websites indicate such. Navigon, simply states adjust the navigation audio using the separate media volume control on your phone--this is not an option for the AVIN headunit.

I have not tested with WIFI-dependent Google maps. I want to use this unit without paying extra for WiFi streaming through my phone, since I know of other NAV head units that don't require paying extra for superb onboard navigation. See Pioneer unit options below:

AVIC Pioneer options:
Touchscreen Display; Onboard Navigation
Built-in Bluetooth; Disc/SD/USB Playback
iPod/iPhone Control; Android Connectivity
HD+Internet+SiriusXM Radio; Audio Section
AV Connections; OEM/Remote Control

2) occasionally, upon close observation, Chinese characters appear on USA AVIN unit in radio broadcast identification?

3) Ipod song loading is slow (Ipod Classic 160 GB with 9000+ songs). One song loads over 30 minutes and that one song will cycle over-and-over. MP3 media on USB drive is workaround with default media player or Google Play app, but the caveat is this audio will cease if running a Nav app with maps loaded to the memory card. If your IPOD device loads songs quickly, please kindly inform on the type of Ipod unit you are using, its capacity, and estimate number of songs loaded...Thanks.

4) while the warm bootup is seconds fast, it only lasts for 2 days (if that option is user-selected, shorter times are available. I am not sure why "infinity" time or "never cold-boot" option is not available). Thereafter, the next start up is a cold boot (the cold boot time (30-45 sec) is on par with big name competitor 2-DIN units. However, the reverse camera software does not work during the cold boot). NOTE: the warm boots will again last for 2 days; the cycle is repeated when I use my car each weekend. What's your opinion on this feature? Probably none, if you use your car everyday.

5) large phonebooks (500+ contacts) upload slowly in the bluetooth function? Has anyone used this function, or is your phonebook relatively small? The built-in microphone works great and external mic option is great for conversation, but playing music via bluetooth only shows the BluetoothTM symbol; no title nor artist is displayed.

6) the stylus works consistently better than the finger, especially when scrolling through menus.

The unit looks great in the 2-DIN space in the car and the visual eye candy is excellent. There are cool accessories, such as OBD 2 readouts and the Radar detector interface But the slow IPOD interface and the audio bug with the onboard navigation virtually negates the "navigation" feature of the AVIN: I might imagine users who use their phones to stream data to the AVIN may experience better navigation.??? Any feedback from those who stream data through your phone would be invaluable. Photos or videos by users in 2014 in the US showing a tethered phone device (on the highway) serviced by one of the BIG providers (ATT, Sprint, Verizon etc) would be helpful to some members on the XOUTPOST community.

For me, I give it one for the decent visual radio UI, and one for the limited EQ function and the other non-existent audio tweaks for the audiophile. For casual listener, the audio adjustments, while minimal, are satisfactory--but the OEM unit's sound adjustments were satisfactory.

I give two for the lack of native Onboard Navigation that does not require Wifi data and IPOD interface that does not meet expectation of an $800 stereo that advertises these functions.

I realize that other aftermarket 2-DIN units that need a faceplate to mount the unit removes some of the visual appeal that the AVIN unit showcases. But the cohesive programs installed on for example a 2014 Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Soundstream, Kenwood (particularly those which offer fast Nav, BT, and Ipod interfacing) might outweigh what is lost aesthetically (not saying these are necessarily the best alternatives, but I would definitely explore these as options based on commentary by a company such as Crutchfield).

Would I recommend the E53 Full Android [2.3.4] "GPS" Navigation AVINUSA unit to a friend...? Likely NOT
keBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #584
jrj127

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by keBMW View Post
1) when using onboard navigation programs Sygic, Navigon, or Copilot (all USA or North American versions from Google Play) other audio is disabled?
I exclusively use Waze and normally the nav voice interrupts the Radio but usually Radio works ok after that. Recently it has not been working and I had to the re-select Radio app then go back to Waze. Annoying.

Quote:
5) large phonebooks (500+ contacts) upload slowly in the bluetooth function? Has anyone used this function, or is your phonebook relatively small?
I see the same behavior. This makes the BT phonebook sync completely useless. I want to specify a contact list/group to sync with the AVIN so that it is maybe a dozen contacts. With people's entire contact list in Google, no one has just a few contacts on their phone anymore. Key bug.

Another serious issue I have is the speakers are not correctly mapped. Either this is a software mapping issue or the wiring harness I have is miswired. The mapping is such that the front speakers are actually the two right speakers. This makes it interesting because the nav voice is only played on the right side of the car. I proved this by using the fader in the radio app. I may have to rewire the harness to resolve the issue. Has anyone else observed this?

Cheers,
Jared
jrj127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #585
vamuch

My Ride: 2006 330CI
Am comparing this to the Navall-can you tell me why your unit is more advantageous for the price?
vamuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:12 AM   #586
tommy@avinusa.com
AKA: M3Evolution

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Jared: It might the be harness that you received last year. That has been fixed since last year. Shoot me an email we can send you a new replacement harness to correct speaker output.
tommy@avinusa.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:23 AM   #587
tommy@avinusa.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamuch View Post
Am comparing this to the Navall-can you tell me why your unit is more advantageous for the price?
Hi if you are referring to the S150 Android model then we also have that model for only $599.99
https://avinusa.com/bmw-e46-android-s150-series.html

The Avant-1 model in this thread is no longer available.

We now have the newer Avant-2.

AVANT-2 Series: Android In-car Navigation System
1 year US warranty
2 second start time *
Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean)
1.0 GHZ Dual Core CPU
1.0 GB RAM
Capacitive Multi Touch Screen
Higher Resolution (1024 x 600 )
Support USB Hard Drive (externally powered)
CarLink Wireless Control via Android Phone or Tablet
Wifi Built-In
Support for Apple AirPlay / DLNA

For more info on the Avant-2 specs and video demo follow the link below.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-e46-avant2-f...on-system.html
Old 05-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #588
vamuch

My Ride: 2006 330CI
Can you compare your unit to the Navall and explain the pricing differential to me? They seem very comparable-have narrowed down my choice to these two units. thanks
vamuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #589
tssgery

My Ride: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamuch View Post
Can you compare your unit to the Navall and explain the pricing differential to me? They seem very comparable-have narrowed down my choice to these two units. thanks

I would be very interested in a side by side comparison as well. I'm currently leaning towards the Avant2 due to the great comments regarding customer service and availability in the US, but the Navall2 seems very comparable and [much] less expensive.
tssgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #590
Bigo1087

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP

2006 IB ZCP. TCKline S/A, Vorshlag Camber Plates, BMW SSK, H&R Front Swaybar, Intrvaee II, HID Fogs, OEM ZCP Wheels 245/275.

Last edited by Bigo1087; 05-21-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Bigo1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #591
menty

My Ride: E46 M3
With regards to the original AVANT unit, (purchasing used from the US)
1. will it work with an Australian Radio settings
2. Does it have an external mike?
3. How does it link up to an Android phone/ ipone?
4. navigation. I assume it just uses google maps?
5. I have a car with GPS and nav (cd changer in the boot). Is this still P&P?

Last edited by menty; 05-20-2014 at 08:44 AM.
menty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #592
BlueMonk

My Ride: E46 318i
double

Last edited by BlueMonk; 05-30-2014 at 03:12 PM.
BlueMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #593
BlueMonk

My Ride: E46 318i
double

Last edited by BlueMonk; 05-30-2014 at 10:26 AM.
BlueMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #594
Walter_

My Ride: 2004 325 SMG coupé
Hey Tommy.

The competition has an update in hardware and software (A9 1.6 GHz and Android 4.2.2)*
Do you have plans to make such an update too?
Walter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #595
PK8

My Ride: M5
Can you upload/download and you use your own wallpaper/background for the screen?

2008 M5
2011 X5 xDrive35i Premium
2005 325Ci
2007 E92 335i (Retired)
2005 X5 4.4 (Retired)
1999 540i (Retired)
PK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #596
tommy@avinusa.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK8 View Post
Can you upload/download and you use your own wallpaper/background for the screen?
Yes you can change and use your own wallpaper.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #597
Mad_Scientist

My Ride: '04 325Ci
The above problems are why all my questions about upgradablilty.. I'll probably end up going with a real tablet and get one of the setups that let's you do hi-fi stereo from your phone.. Stick it in the trunk and send it to Amps then speakers.
Mad_Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #598
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
I just ordered one for my E53. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully I wont encounter any issues with it.

I have the Dynavin D99+ in my E46. I will be comparing them side by side.

Last edited by Patton323I; 06-09-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Patton323I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #599
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Quote:
--For example, if listening to the radio during GPS-navigation, the radio (or BT or USB) audio will cease as soon as the text-to-speech directions are broadcasted by either Navigation program listed above.
Yes, and I prefer it mute the other audio when broadcasting directions. Once the directions are complete the other audio comes back on. Does yours not revert back to the original audio signal once directions are complete?

Quote:
3) Ipod song loading is slow (Ipod Classic 160 GB with 9000+ songs). One song loads over 30 minutes and that one song will cycle over-and-over. MP3 media on USB drive is workaround with default media player or Google Play app, but the caveat is this audio will cease if running a Nav app with maps loaded to the memory card. If your IPOD device loads songs quickly, please kindly inform on the type of Ipod unit you are using, its capacity, and estimate number of songs loaded...Thanks.
Yes, this isn't ideal. I've got my ipod in the glove compartment and my son usually grabs it and starts controlling the unit while the artist list loads. It should only need to load once though. Not sure why it reloads each and every single time the unit fires up the iPod. This is an oversight from the programmers I feel.

Quote:
The unit looks great in the 2-DIN space in the car and the visual eye candy is excellent. There are cool accessories, such as OBD 2 readouts and the Radar detector interface
I rarely listen to anything other than the four pipe soundtrack coming out the back. This coupled with the OBD11 apps I use make it a winner for me.

Quote:
For me, I give it one for the decent visual radio UI, and one for the limited EQ function and the other non-existent audio tweaks for the audiophile. For casual listener, the audio adjustments, while minimal, are satisfactory--but the OEM unit's sound adjustments were satisfactory.
Not sure why an audiophile would consider this unit acceptable. The S/N ratio isn't the best as you would know. Thats not news though however it does appear better than the competing generics.

Quote:
I give two for the lack of native Onboard Navigation that does not require Wifi data and IPOD interface that does not meet expectation of an $800 stereo that advertises these functions.
BMW updates for their OEM navi hardware are exhorbitant. My one off Aussie Peso payment for the Sygic app makes me happy.

Quote:
Would I recommend the E53 Full Android [2.3.4] "GPS" Navigation AVINUSA unit to a friend...? Likely NOT
Depends on what else is available for our cars. BMW have ensured not much with a double din facia and single din rear. Without spending serious coin this unit is the pick of the rest I believe. Its only my opinion though. Its a shame you're not enjoying it as much as most seem to be.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #600
Netweaver

My Ride: X4 E53
Dear Fellow Beamers,

First time poster.

Thought I would share one important and basic thing about the AVIN Unit for the North American Buyer especially if they listen to AM Radio.

Based on the rave reviews by many in this and other forums I recently bought the AVIN unit for my 2004 X5 E53. I have to say the OEM look is perfect.

However disappointed to note that the basic AM radio is not designed for US frequencies. I live in the Chicago area and mostly listen to AM radio while commuting. Please see the Picture.

I cannot tune to 560, 780, 890, or 1000. It tunes only in the interval of 9 and this is what I could get.

Any work around or fix for this issue?

Also I saw couple of bright spot reflection when took the pciture. Need to investigate further if it is a reflection from the vehicle or from the AVIN Unit.

Checked with Tommy and so far no solution for the AM radio tuning.

Greatly appreciate any help. Disappointed that my $800 purchase cannot even tune to the basic AM radio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	561726  
Netweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, avant, avin, dynavin, eonon, m3evolution