E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #601
raichean

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3 cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
Dear Fellow Beamers,

First time poster.

Thought I would share one important and basic thing about the AVIN Unit for the North American Buyer especially if they listen to AM Radio.

Based on the rave reviews by many in this and other forums I recently bought the AVIN unit for my 2004 X5 E53. I have to say the OEM look is perfect.

However disappointed to note that the basic AM radio is not designed for US frequencies. I live in the Chicago area and mostly listen to AM radio while commuting. Please see the Picture.

I cannot tune to 560, 780, 890, or 1000. It tunes only in the interval of 9 and this is what I could get.

Any work around or fix for this issue?

Also I saw couple of bright spot reflection when took the pciture. Need to investigate further if it is a reflection from the vehicle or from the AVIN Unit.

Checked with Tommy and so far no solution for the AM radio tuning.

Greatly appreciate any help. Disappointed that my $800 purchase cannot even tune to the basic AM radio.
Actually there is a work around, and Tommy is working on the settings. Tap on the ribbon display itself on either side of your preset, and it will jump by whole numbers.

For example, I listen to 570.. I jumped the dial around until it was whole numbers and then slide it up to 570, held preset 1 and BAM done.

So there you go! 8) Fix I believe is in the works as well.
raichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #602
Netweaver

My Ride: X4 E53
Thanks for the quick reply. Will try your solution and update tomorrow.
Netweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:01 AM   #603
tommy@avinusa.com
AKA: M3Evolution

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
Dear Fellow Beamers,

First time poster.

Thought I would share one important and basic thing about the AVIN Unit for the North American Buyer especially if they listen to AM Radio.

Based on the rave reviews by many in this and other forums I recently bought the AVIN unit for my 2004 X5 E53. I have to say the OEM look is perfect.

However disappointed to note that the basic AM radio is not designed for US frequencies. I live in the Chicago area and mostly listen to AM radio while commuting. Please see the Picture.

I cannot tune to 560, 780, 890, or 1000. It tunes only in the interval of 9 and this is what I could get.

Any work around or fix for this issue?

Also I saw couple of bright spot reflection when took the pciture. Need to investigate further if it is a reflection from the vehicle or from the AVIN Unit.

Checked with Tommy and so far no solution for the AM radio tuning.

Greatly appreciate any help. Disappointed that my $800 purchase cannot even tune to the basic AM radio.
Hi

We have a new software update that fixes the AM tuning and now you will be able to tune to 560, 780, 890, or 1000 AM frequency. If anyone needs the new update that fixes the AM tuning please email me at tommy@avinusa.com

Note: This update only addresses the AM tuning everything else is the same.
tommy@avinusa.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #604
Makki

My Ride: E46 330Ci
Well, even the FM reception is much worse than anything after 1976 (before I cannot tell)..

I'm living and driving just next to the most powerful FM-antennas in southern Germany, factory Diversity-antenna and never had any problem the last 25 years with FM before.. I'm at least disappointed..

Michael
Makki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #605
alirz

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe.2003
@Tommy. How are GA build releases communicated to Avant 2 owners? Is it only if someone asks about it and you send them the link, will it be posted here on the forums or you will send emails to registered owners?
Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
alirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #606
tommy@avinusa.com

Hi

When new build release are available it will be announced in their respective thread post. The actual update software will only be emailed to registered owners. For questions or help with the update please email me at tommy@avinusa.com
Old 06-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #607
Netweaver

My Ride: X4 E53
Tommy,

I downloaded he AM Radio fix and it works fine with tuning properly the Chicago AM frequencies in multiples of 10KHz.

Thanks a lot.

PK
Netweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #608
Makki

I'm still a little confused about the "update strategie"; if your lucky you get a mail, if not (as in this case for AM) your just lost..

Michael
Old 06-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #609
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Tommy,

I am getting the sound of transmission whine when using AM radio. I get the AM audio but the background noise is the afore mentioned whine. Is this something that can be fixed with a software update? Or is it a hardware issue?

Cheers,
Matt
Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #610
SKR7

Tommy,

I am getting the sound of transmission whine when using AM radio. I get the AM audio but the background noise is the afore mentioned whine. Is this something that can be fixed with a software update? Or is it a hardware issue?

Cheers,
Matt
Old 06-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #611
alirz

I've mentioned at numerous times that also get a lot static if I simply turn up the volume a bit when nothing is playing. Apparently its related to the fact that the avant has a higher Pre amp output than the one radio therefore when the amount amplifies the unit the noises are more prominent. At least thats my understanding of the cause

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #612
Makki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR7 View Post
Tommy,

Cheers,
Matt
If your hearing the RPM's of the engine in an increasing frequency a "suppressor choke" (sorry, only translated, German "Entstördrossel"/"Entsörfilter") for the Avin and/or amp might help greatly.

Though I wonder why this 5-bucks-piece isnt built in, with no/silent input I also experience dissorted noise on the speakers.

Michael
Old 06-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #613
alirz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makki View Post

Though I wonder why this 5-bucks-piece isnt built in, with no/silent input I also experience dissorted noise on the speakers.

Michael
+1 to that
Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #614
SKR7

Is it possible to plug the $5 buck hardware into the aerial line in?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:02 AM   #615
Gatriel
Grüß Di'

My Ride: KL38444
Can someone post a PDF of the S150 user's manual? I am wanting to place an order tomorrow, but am wanting to see a drill down of what EXACTLY I am purchasing before I part with some fiat.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-e46-android-s150-series.html

There is no manual listed -- and by "Wifi Ready" I assume that simply means you can plug a USB WiFi adapter into the unit? Anyone have recommendations on what works and what doesn't?

Thanks!

EDIT -- Also, here in Germany the OEM radio has this feature, when there is an "emergency" (typically someone trying to kill themselves by driving the wrong way on the AutoBahn) the FM Radio cuts into whatever source your are on to play the "emergency broadcast message."

Does this unit have that capability?

More of my posts get deleted than anyone elses.

Last edited by Gatriel; 07-03-2014 at 03:03 AM.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:35 AM   #616
tommy@avinusa.com

Yes the S150 unit comes with a Wifi USB dongle included.

Send me an email at tommy@avinusa.com and I will send you the S150 operating manual.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:50 AM   #617
Gatriel
Grüß Di'

Just sent you an email.

Also, how can I order the mounting bracket from you?

Old 07-03-2014, 04:14 AM   #618
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
EDIT -- Also, here in Germany the OEM radio has this feature, when there is an "emergency" (typically someone trying to kill themselves by driving the wrong way on the AutoBahn) the FM Radio cuts into whatever source your are on to play the "emergency broadcast message."

Does this unit have that capability?
Geisterfahrer. Makes me shudder just thinking of the word. One of the things I remember about Autobahn driving when I lived Germany is that, almost daily, there'd be an emergency message "*******, *******, Falschfahrer an der A..." interrupting whatever I was listening to.

Isn't it simply an RDS TA (traffic announcement) signal broadcast on FM radio frequencies? The difference being they don't wait for a regular scheduled bulletin, or for even for the song to end. Which is extremely sensible, considering you could have a closing speed of 500 km/h with him if he is heading towards you.

As long as the ///Avin has RDS TA, and you leave the radio tuned to a station that broadcasts Traffic Announcements, then it should work.

Incidentally, the best RDS radios have dual tuners: one for the station you're listening to and the other constantly scanning all other frequencies for TA signals. But, although we've had it for 15 years in Europe, RDS is not really used in America, and it would be unfair of me to criticize any of these global market double-dins for only being able to receive one FM frequency at at time.
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:15 AM   #619
Gatriel
Grüß Di'

Per page 17 of the owners manual, this unit DOES have the capability to jump over sources for emergency information.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 AM   #620
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
By the way, should any e46fanatics admin read this, "Ach_tung" (without the _ ) isn't a swear word! Don't know why it's been automatically bleeped out?
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, avant, avin, dynavin, eonon, m3evolution