E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #161
nut

My Ride: 04 LSB M3 SMG
Some apps are, but you should be able to use most apps unless they specifically requires more demanding hardware specs of the unit.

All you see at the app store from Avin are compatible since app store recognizes your unit's android version shows only compatible apps to you.

•Koni Yellow + Eibach
•VMR VB3 19" + Ventus V12 EVO K110
•Brembo GT 355mm 6pods + 345mm 4pods
•Headlamp retrofit: S2k projector + 85122cm + eas AE
•Avin Avant 2 + BU cam, Alpine PDX F4 + RS audio BASE, JL 600/1v3 + 10W7
•SCSL dual CF trunk
•E90 key retrofit w/ greater remote distance! + Start Engine button mod
•Auto-fold side mirror retrofit

nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #162
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Thanks. So not much point choosing apps until it's installed in the car then.

Last edited by SKR7; 12-26-2013 at 02:48 PM.
SKR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #163
matt0

My Ride: 318i e46
Which way have people been running the extension cable to the boot/trunk? Across the glove box side or past the gauge cluster? Also would you run it along the floor behind the trim etc...

First time doing any wiring work on a e46.
matt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #164
nut

Easier way is routing harness to the following route:
headunit - behind glove box - tuck into/along door sills - under back seat - trunk

Short cut but bit of fishing required(for under carpet):
headunit - gear box thru armrest - under carpet - under & behind back seat - trunk

•Koni Yellow + Eibach
•SCSL dual CF trunk

Old 12-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #165
nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR7 View Post
Thanks. So not much point choosing apps until it's installed in the car then.
Once you log in to google play store with your unit, you can see which app is compatible for your device from each app page.

•Koni Yellow + Eibach
•SCSL dual CF trunk

Last edited by nut; 12-26-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #166
Bishopgoldy

My Ride: '05 M3 '92 325is
Re: Official: ///AVIN BMW E46 Full Android Multimedia Navigation System - Info and Q&

I missed the DHL guy by like 10 minutes..... I drove around for 40 minutes looking for his ass lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using BimmerApp mobile app
Bishopgoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #167
Dr3wX5

My Ride: X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0 View Post
Which way have people been running the extension cable to the boot/trunk? Across the glove box side or past the gauge cluster? Also would you run it along the floor behind the trim etc...

First time doing any wiring work on a e46.
I was having trouble routing the wires under the door sills. So what I did was shove them more under the carpet, away from the door sills. This allowed me to attach the door sills easier as well as reattaching the B column. There is a channel connecting the back seat to the trunk. I fed the wire through that channel which brought the cable to the right cargo hatch area in the trunk. From there, have the cable follow the existing cable harnesses into where the OEM radio tuner is. Its pretty simple once you get the cables past the back seat.
Dr3wX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #168
matt0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
Easier way is routing harness to the following route:
headunit - behind glove box - tuck into/along door sills - under back seat - trunk

Short cut but bit of fishing required(for under carpet):
headunit - gear box thru armrest - under carpet - under & behind back seat - trunk
Thanks man, I'll investigate both
Old 12-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #169
matt0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopgoldy View Post
I missed the DHL guy by like 10 minutes..... I drove around for 40 minutes looking for his ass lol

My unit was set to be delivered last Friday in the late afternoon to my work and as per usual with DHL especially they don't even bother coming and say that there was no one at reception despite us having two people at reception at all times. Luckily the driver updated it on the tracking status as I called up DHL immediately and they sent the driver back.

Our company has found that a lot with our local areas DHL driver, super lazy. If you call up they will normally send him back.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #170
Bishopgoldy

My Ride: '05 M3 '92 325is
Re: Official: ///AVIN BMW E46 Full Android Multimedia Navigation System - Info and Q&

Thanks!!! Well im camping out for his ass tomorrow lol not going for that ****

Bishopgoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #171
Dr3wX5

I have experienced a few problems with the head unit and was wondering if other people have the same problem.

1. Phonebook reloads every time car turns on. This takes too long and when I receive phone calls the name is listed as unknown.

2. If switching from radio to Spotify, Spotify does not automatically play. You have manually shut down the radio app and then go back to Spotify.

3. I have the 3G USB Modem with T-Mobile and it is way too slow. Spotify has to buffer many times during a song and that is with good signal. There is a significant delay in switching tracks. THIS is the BIGGEST CONCERN FOR ME. Hopefully there is a fix for this.

4. What is the button "AS" do on the head unit? When I pressed it, all my FM preset stations reset to 87.5

5. TORQUE only shows boost gauge... Cannot seem to find other info like mpg, rpms, range, etc...

If these problems can get resolved I would rate this head unit a 10.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #172
nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr3wX5 View Post
I have experienced a few problems with the head unit and was wondering if other people have the same problem.

1. Phonebook reloads every time car turns on. This takes too long and when I receive phone calls the name is listed as unknown.

2. If switching from radio to Spotify, Spotify does not automatically play. You have manually shut down the radio app and then go back to Spotify.

3. I have the 3G USB Modem with T-Mobile and it is way too slow. Spotify has to buffer many times during a song and that is with good signal. There is a significant delay in switching tracks. THIS is the BIGGEST CONCERN FOR ME. Hopefully there is a fix for this.

4. What is the button "AS" do on the head unit? When I pressed it, all my FM preset stations reset to 87.5

5. TORQUE only shows boost gauge... Cannot seem to find other info like mpg, rpms, range, etc...

Mine is not auto syncing phone book everytime but it seems to save my previous sync to the memory. It DOES takes a bit when reload.

Cannot comment about spotify since I don't use this. Pandora works good, but there's background crashing issue, in my case.

It might not be related to your 3g modem issue but my wireless connection via tetheing works fine for me. I'm using Tmo $50 plan and enabled Tether with LTE from my nexus4 and have rarely had speed/connection problems. I think wireless part is hard to tell since it gives very different results depending on user's device. At least, it works fine for me...

Regarding to Torque, mine reads quite more info than yours, maybe it's OBD bluetooth device specific?

•Koni Yellow + Eibach
•SCSL dual CF trunk

Last edited by nut; 12-27-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #173
matt0

For torque you have to add the gauges and graphs you want manually. Press the menu button in torque.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #174
Dr3wX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0 View Post
For torque you have to add the gauges and graphs you want manually. Press the menu button in torque.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using BimmerApp mobile app
I think my problem is connecting via Bluetooth. Can you connect while having your phone connected? When my phone is connected and I go into Bluetooth I don't see an option for search for obd2 devices. But I did see you can add gauges so I will play with that.

Thank you
Old 12-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #175
matt0

Just installed my unit yesterday but my main two issues are;

IPod takes about 20 minutes to index every time the unit is turned on. Has someone found a better iPod player/manager? Or can you make the iPod app stay open when the unit goes in stand by so we don't have to index every time?

Also my button lights do not seem to be illuminated.

Apart from those two the unit is great.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #176
tommy@avinusa.com
AKA: M3Evolution

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr3wX5 View Post

1. For privacy and security purpose the Bluetooth phonebook contacts, call logs, etc does not save on the unit. Many cars are driven by more then one person eg.. BMW Service Center, Valet, Wife, Kids, and your recent call logs and contacts might not want to be shared.

2. The radio app is meant to be kept running in the background and does not auto close when other apps such as Navigation apps are open.

3. The 3G Modem is capable of download speeds up to 7.2mbps. That is faster then some home DSL internet connections. The actual speed you might be getting will vary depending on many different variables, such as carrier, your data plan, signal strength, your location etc.

4. AS = Auto Scan

5. The free version of Torque that is included with the unit has less features then that of full Pro version. You can add different gauges within the app.

www.avinusa.com

email: tommy@avinusa.com

///M3Evolution Dynavin Android Rom
AKA: m3evolution

http://www.youtube.com/user/AVINUSA

$50 OFF BMW E46 Avant-2 Coupon Code: e46fanatics
tommy@avinusa.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #177
Dr3wX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy@avinusa.com View Post
1. For privacy and security purpose the Bluetooth phonebook contacts, call logs, etc does not save on the unit. Many cars are driven by more then one person eg.. BMW Service Center, Valet, Wife, Kids, and your recent call logs and contacts might not want to be shared.

2. The radio app is meant to be kept running in the background and does not auto close when other apps such as Navigation apps are open.

3. The 3G Modem is capable of download speeds up to 7.2mbps. That is faster then some home DSL internet connections. The actual speed you might be getting will vary depending on many different variables, such as carrier, your data plan, signal strength, your location etc.

4. AS = Auto Scan

5. The free version of Torque that is included with the unit has less features then that of full Pro version. You can add different gauges within the app.
Thanks Tommy. It looks like I will cancel my Tmobile account since its only month-to-month, and I will get a mobile hotspot device from AT&T and share my family data plan. The newer devices have 4G LTE and that will hopefully solve my internet problem. Can you confirm if such a device would work? I believe it just creates a wi-fi network and from there the head unit should be able to automatically connect. The only downside is I would have to take it out every few days to charge -- but i can live with that.

Is there anyway to get an update for the head unit to remember the contact list? I can understand why it was designed that way for privacy, but it does not affect me personally. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 12-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #178
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
I have an lte wifi hotspot from att that I use here at the office, on trips, etc...works great and was relatively cheap to add to our family plan. I think its the "Sierra wireless elevate" if I recall.

It will charge from a USB so If you are just going to use it in the car you could use a simple USB cig lighter charger, or hardwire a charger any number of other ways, so it charges anytime the car is running

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #179
Dr3wX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions View Post
I have an lte wifi hotspot from att that I use here at the office, on trips, etc...works great and was relatively cheap to add to our family plan. I think its the "Sierra wireless elevate" if I recall.

It will charge from a USB so If you are just going to use it in the car you could use a simple USB cig lighter charger, or hardwire a charger any number of other ways, so it charges anytime the car is running
Sounds good. Could I charge it from the USB from the head unit that I was using for the 3G Modem?
Old 12-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #180
Dr3wX5

OBC Functions still work! (Somewhat)

Hello all,

So I noticed that I am still able to access some OBC functions with the new head unit installed! If you press the BC button on your steering wheel stick thing, you are able to cycle through the parameters on your cluster. However, this is limited to what you chose to be visible from the Onboard Computer under the OEM Head unit.

For example, I disabled a bunch of metrics such as Speed Limiter, Distance, Arrival, etc.. but I chose to display Range, Fuel Consumption 1, Fuel Consumption 2, Date, and Time. These changes were made on the original OEM Head unit. The ones that you chose to appear on your cluster WILL REMAIN AVAILABLE after you install the AVIN Head unit. So I am still able to access my range, consumption, time and date. So if you still have your old OEM Head unit, you can connect that and customize what you want to show on the cluster, then reconnect the new head unit. Easy fix. I am not sure if this applies to e46s, but it works for my e53.

All this is still accessible from torque, but its nice to also have this easily accessible from your cluster.

Hope this helps,
Andrew

P.S. Where do i go to change the steering wheel controls?

Tags
android, avant, avin, dynavin, eonon, m3evolution