E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #21
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
sorry I posted a link and decided to remove it.

I've seen several reviews of the DF come out this week and they are mixed. Chase Jarvis said its too plastic. Vs others saying it's well built. lol

Last edited by saxual328ci; 01-21-2014 at 11:42 PM.
saxual328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #22
Adamo99

My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
I'm planning to run out and check one out later today. I love the look, specs, and the whole idea of it. I find I use my 5DII and 1DIV and bag full of L lenses as really expensive point and shoots, and rarely carry anything around any more. This looks like something you could carry around on a vacation without it being much of a hassle.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #23
3quarterI

My Ride: 2010 Honda Insight
A hipster review of the Nikon DF

Sent from my HTCONE using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by 3quarterI; 01-22-2014 at 11:47 AM.
3quarterI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:51 PM   #24
guitarhead429

My Ride: is not an M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torok.Designs View Post
Would love it if you guys kept talking about this. I'm looking into upgrading
If one were to upgrade from an entry level (You shoot a D5200, correct? Saw the F/S thread) to a prosumer camera, I think you're better off upgrading to a D7xxx, D6xx, or D800 (as stated before by others). The Df is too expensive for the kind of functionality* it gives you. Nikon markets the camera as being a camera for "slowing you down" and "taking time with the shot". In other words, it's for a wealthy - but serious - amateur/hobbyist looking for a high quality camera that reminds him/her of the good ol' days when cameras had metal knobby bits and weighed a ton. The Df is as much of a camera as it is a fashion statement, sadly. For the price a Df body you can get a D600 and a fast prime or zoom. It's just not worth it.

In fact, any prosumer camera made since 2008, Nikon or Canon, is by far a better buy than a Df. Most all DSLRs since then have excellent image quality - its the pixel-peeping and low-light abilities that sets them apart really. Hell, go grab a used D700 and some expensive glass, I guarantee you that in terms of at-a-glance image quality and day-to-day usability you are at little disadvantage to someone with a newer DSLR.

Granted, if the food you put on the table every night depends on your camera-clicking, a shiny new D4 is the best way to go. At least it fits the job description better than a Df does
----------------
TL;DR - Df is as much a camera as it is a fashion statement. Most all DSLRs (esp. full-frame) made after 2008 are better buys than a Df as they are more cost-effective and leave room for expensive, more capable glass.

*EDIT: What I mean by "functionality" is how the camera is used - controls, knobs, buttons, etc. From what I've seen it quite different from standard DSLR (obviously) yet also not the same as most traditional film cameras in that you can digitally override the manual knobs. It would take some time getting used to for sure. Nothing difficult, just different.

|Nikon D90|35mm f/1.8|SB-700|
Flickr

Last edited by guitarhead429; 01-24-2014 at 01:00 PM.
guitarhead429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #25
Adamo99

My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
I played with one last night. It's not as small as I was expecting- it's about the same size as a D600/D610, with a slightly smaller hand grip. It's cool, but it's not $2,999 cool. If it had the AF system from the D4/D800, it would be fantastic and worth what they're asking- but it doesn't, and it's not.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #26
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Price is a little high. Definitely for someone who buying for looks.

Last edited by saxual328ci; 01-25-2014 at 12:48 PM.
saxual328ci is offline   Reply With Quote