E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #21
tstaroveski

My Ride: 2002 BMW 318D E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ePhan View Post
Have you thought about using a google drive/docs for your comparison chart? That way all you have to do is update it?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I strongly believe it should be possible if you have Android head unit with internet connectivity and the access to the media SD card from the OS side (regardless of the specific head unit). Please note that it is fairly difficult to include every possible feature of every possible head unit in the table (that's why I had only specified those considered to be the most important). I even tried to do so but ended up jammed either with the row filled with the question marks ?, or with the infinite waiting for seller replies on my inquires.

This particular unit is "pure Android" so it should have direct OS access to the media SD card. Is is also capable of supporting microSD cards with capacities of up to 64GB. Hence, it should be very possible to use the Google drive or similar apps. I will try this feature once I get it up and running. Stay tuned.

Last edited by tstaroveski; 11-08-2013 at 12:36 AM.
tstaroveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
tstaroveski

Hello again,
I have managed to make the "base install" of the unit. So far I can confirm that the GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, Steering wheel controls, front (DVR) and the reverse camera are working fine.
I can also confirm that the unit has full control of the steering wheel buttons. All of them work. "R/T" button serves as the home button (as well as the "SRC" button on the unit), "Voice" button calls the Bluetooth dialing screen.

Here is a short video of the unit booting taken during the installation. The video clearly shows the time required to fully boot the unit, how the steering wheel controls work and also the soft shut down feature:

The installation procedure has been fully documented. Installation videos and pictures will be uploaded on Post #3.
Parts 1 and 2 of the review have also been completed. Stay tuned for part 3....

Best regards

Last edited by tstaroveski; 11-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #23
nissan00b

My Ride: 323 Ci
Very nice and thorough review so far! I've had my WinCe enco for about a year now and I'm looking to upgrade to either this or a Dynavin.
nissan00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #24
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstaroveski View Post
...The installation procedure has been fully documented. Installation videos and pictures will be uploaded on Post #3.
Parts 1 and 2 of the review have also been completed. Stay tuned for part 3....

Best regards
Can't wait for the installation videos!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #25
ePhan

My Ride: 99 323i & 04 325xi
Sweeet! I was worried about the lack of the home button! ^.^
ePhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
Bigo1087

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP
delete me

2006 IB ZCP. TCKline S/A, Vorshlag Camber Plates, BMW SSK, H&R Front Swaybar, Intrvaee II, HID Fogs, OEM ZCP Wheels 245/275.

Last edited by Bigo1087; 11-11-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Bigo1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #27
Bigo1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy@avinusa.com View Post
I agree very nice review

Wait. I'm confused. Your are selling BOTH this Unit AND the ///avin unit????

2006 IB ZCP. TCKline S/A, Vorshlag Camber Plates, BMW SSK, H&R Front Swaybar, Intrvaee II, HID Fogs, OEM ZCP Wheels 245/275.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #28
N4NOOK

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigo1087 View Post
Wait. I'm confused. Your are selling BOTH this Unit AND the ///avin unit????
From what I can gather yes they are, confused me (well still am confused tbh)
N4NOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46
Send a message via Skype™ to RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com
HI Guys Navall is Our brand and Our product and can be bought only at www.bmwradios.com. I am trying to stay out of this Post/review until he is done so that it is his observations and unbiased opinions. Both of us, and of our products. I did offer compensation for the work to be done but refuse to influence his findings. That was done publicly on another posting here. There was some confusion earlier with Avin but Tommy from Avin has graciously deleted his post after all was explained to him. Now I will continue to sit back and watch this OP do what he is doing far beyond anything I expected ! I think you will all agree.

Best regards
Sean AKA RadioGuy
RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #30
Bigo1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com View Post
HI Guys Navall is Our brand and Our product and can be bought only at www.bmwradios.com. I am trying to stay out of this Post/review until he is done so that it is his observations and unbiased opinions. Both of us, and of our products. I did offer compensation for the work to be done but refuse to influence his findings. That was done publicly on another posting here. There was some confusion earlier with Avin but Tommy from Avin has graciously deleted his post after all was explained to him. Now I will continue to sit back and watch this OP do what he is doing far beyond anything I expected ! I think you will all agree.

Best regards
Sean AKA RadioGuy
SO this isn't your unit listed on the avin website with it specifically calling out this review?????

http://avinusa.com/bmw-e46-android-s150-series.html

Last edited by Bigo1087; 11-11-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #31
RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com
Past Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=Bigo1087;15827690]SO this isn't your unit listed on the avin website with it specifically calling out this review?????

No , It is Not Navall, ours is Proprietary
I hadnt checked the website to see that it was removed , that is between the OP And Avin I suppose as it is his Posting.

Last edited by RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com; 11-11-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #32
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
well this is getting confusing!

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #33
RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSystems View Post
well this is getting confusing!

Hey Jeff. Welcome to the Frey ! LOL

I used to buy Dynavin for the 75's and ZT's, Even in the D90 / Petrut days 2010 ! We spoke once a long time ago. Have you seen the low price product Website Dynavin has ? Under a different brand name? Go Plus ?

Navall is our brand and the Firmware is customized to our requests. Not so confusing.

Kind regards
Old 11-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #34
tstaroveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com View Post
HI Guys Navall is Our brand and Our product and can be bought only at www.bmwradios.com. I am trying to stay out of this Post/review until he is done so that it is his observations and unbiased opinions. Both of us, and of our products. I did offer compensation for the work to be done but refuse to influence his findings. That was done publicly on another posting here.
On a personal note I would just like to state that I have agreed to write the thorough and objective review, which I would have done anyway. Not only did Sean agree to this, but he in fact insisted on it, claiming that he "doesn't believe in misleading, just my true experience". From my experience in dealing with Sean, I can only say that he is one of the fairest people I know so far. Whether the review is objective or not, judge for yourself.

Regarding the review,
"Part 3 Installation of the head unit" is now finished (Post #4 of this thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...49&postcount=4 ). I hope you will find at least some useful information in this part. Please sorry for my English in the videos - I find it much easier to write rather than speak.

I will be testing the unit for a few days. Then I will report back with my findings.

Best regards
Old 11-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #35
tstaroveski

Hello again,
Please sorry for the delay. This week I had to take my BMW to the service as well as the mandatory technical examination. This week I will be on a business trip until Saturday afternoon. The review will be my first priority as soon as I return. While on the trip, I will be testing the unit (especially navigation as I have to travel 400 Km in both directions).

With best regards
Old 12-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #36
madbull1986

My Ride: 320d Touring
Anxious for more posts!!!
Very good job
madbull1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #37
ePhan

So I got this unit w/ the wireless reverse camera. I hooked up the back up camera to the reverse lights and the license plate light. (for the led) The light on the transmitter lights up blue when I put it in reverse. The receiver end I connected it it and it seems like it's working. The receiver is lighting up Red. But when I shift it on the head unit to reverse I get nothing. Any ideas?

There's also a blue wire coming out of the video line. Not sure if this needs to be connected to anything. I thought it might but I can't identify which wire coming out of the harness is the "Reverse" Any idea Sean or Tstraoveski? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #38
Jarrettm3

My Ride: m3
If you look at part 3 of tstaroveski at the beginning of the thread. Towards the end of part 3 he shows pics of the antenna wiring with the reverse wiring.
Jarrettm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #39
Crestwood1001

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Re: Review: Navall E46-RN502 - New Android Head Unit with MirrorLink Support

Solid thread

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Crestwood1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #40
ePhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrettm3 View Post
If you look at part 3 of tstaroveski at the beginning of the thread. Towards the end of part 3 he shows pics of the antenna wiring with the reverse wiring.
Thanks that did the trick! Note that on Tstaroveski post that it is indeed the blue wire. Not the blue/white and definitely NOT the pink wire.

Tags
android, e46-rn502, head unit, mirrorlink, navall