E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 289 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #41
M_South_Afrikanna

My Ride: e46 325i
Re: Review: Navall E46-RN502 - New Android Head Unit with MirrorLink Support

God dammit I just got a dynavin and now I see this. So far im thinking this would be all around better unit for me. If anyones interested ill be selling my 5 day old dynavin for 550 with shipping. Not thread jacking lol continue on good sirs with the great review

Sent from my SGH-M919 using BimmerApp mobile app
M_South_Afrikanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #42
tstaroveski

My Ride: 2002 BMW 318D E46
Hello again,

I have just managed to complete the "Part 5 - Review of usage 1/2" (post #6) : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...56&postcount=6

This part covers the user interface and configuration options.
The next part will deal with the usage of applications and accessories. Hopefully I will manage to complete this part in the next several days.

With best regards,
tstaroveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #43
ePhan

My Ride: 99 323i & 04 325xi
Review: Navall E46-RN502 - New Android Head Unit with MirrorLink Support

We're you able to get the mirror link to work? Great review so far!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ePhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #44
tstaroveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePhan View Post
We're you able to get the mirror link to work? Great review so far!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Hi ePhan,

Thank you for your kind remarks.

The "Mirrorlink" works in a way that the unit installs the "MagicLink" app on the cellphone. Connection can be made either wirelessly or wired using the USB. The wireless works very well - you can access cellphone's media content (DLNA), but the remote screen option is not available. Wired connection provides the remote screen option, but I have not yet managed to get it working properly.

This has been reported to Sean and he thinks the problem might be related to the USB cable length or the USB cable itself. I am using the rear USB + my cellphone's factory cable as I don't have mini USB to micro USB needed for the front USB. Anyway he is currently trying to solve this and I will post a detailed report in the post #7 - "Usage of applications and accessories" on this feature as soon as I get some more info.

p.s. The second part of the usage review is about 50% done. I still need to test some things such as different video/audio codecs, iPhone/iPad support etc.

With best regards,
Old 12-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #45
pillow

My Ride: E46 316i
Hi Tstaroveski,

Fantastic review, you cover a great amount of detail. I was wondering if you could hopefully answer some questions of mine.

1st, I notice there is a network 3g signal icon in the status bar. Does this unit have built in sim card slot for 3g network access?

2nd, is there any chance you could test this statusbar application: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.wp7barfree

It replaces the default status bar with narrower one so more screen space for applications (and looks nicer too!)

3rd, Do you have any pictures of the illumination in the night time? I want to see how different the SRC button is to all of the other ones.

4th, Do you know if there are any planned firmware updates or where to find out?

Thanks very much and I look forward to part 2 of the main review!_nr_
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #46
guardedandburnt

My Ride: 2004 330ci
tstaroveski,

I wanted to thank you for your very thorough review and detailed installation and operation instructions. Between you and Sean I am starting to get this sorted out for myself. Great job you are doing.
guardedandburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #47
tstaroveski

Hello again and thank you all for your remarks.

Regarding pillow's qustions:
1st: I does not have the sim card slot, but I will try to use the USB 3G dongle to see if it can be used instead of the Wi-Fi dongle (which was provided with the unit).

2nd: I will try to install it and report back with some screenshots. So far I haven't yet activated any of my google accounts on the unit (and therefore cannot download any apps yet). This is because I am still testing some contact/dialing features without using any google accounts.

3rd: Gladly (thank you for this idea). I can take some pictures of all LED button tones. Hopefully I will manage to do so today and report back.

4th: So far I had received and installed only one firmware update which was received directly via e-mail. I will ask Sean if I may post it here for the reference. I also asked about the second one, and just yesterday he replied: "I have heard that there will be a major update on March 2014 , Not Confirmed !".

Regarding guardedandburnt's remarks:
We both firmly believe that any non-objective or misleading information is simply counterproductive and not fair. In my humble opinion, this is potentially a great unit loaded with rich features, but it might need some more work in terms of software updates/development to truly provide the customer satisfaction we are all hoping for.

Right now I am still testing the unit and reporting my findings back to Sean. This gives him a chance to comment or fix any of the issues I find. After I am done, all my findings in the remaining part of the review will point to the things that are working fine as well as to those that still need fixing. Since this is the pure Android unit, I believe it can be easily updated without any hardware modifications/revisions. This opinion is also based on the fact that the last update fixed the background noise which I taught would be impossible without bringing the unit to service (is seemed that the update files also contained some compiled binaries for the DSP part of the unit).

There will be the "Issue tracker" and the "Wish list" posted in the conclusions. That way everyone will have a chance to track the effects of the software updates as they become available. This will hopefully result with software updates from which everyone will benefit.

With best regards

Last edited by tstaroveski; 12-12-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #48
ePhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
Hi Tstaroveski,

Fantastic review, you cover a great amount of detail. I was wondering if you could hopefully answer some questions of mine.

1st, I notice there is a network 3g signal icon in the status bar. Does this unit have built in sim card slot for 3g network access?

2nd, is there any chance you could test this statusbar application: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.wp7barfree

It replaces the default status bar with narrower one so more screen space for applications (and looks nicer too!)

3rd, Do you have any pictures of the illumination in the night time? I want to see how different the SRC button is to all of the other ones.

4th, Do you know if there are any planned firmware updates or where to find out?

Thanks very much and I look forward to part 2 of the main review!_nr_

I can say the LED colors are RED, M3 yellowish, and amber (for non m3) They're pretty spot on and I was quite surprised! However the SRC button the hang up button and the call button are static to red & green.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #49
guardedandburnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstaroveski View Post
Regarding guardedandburnt's remarks:
We both firmly believe that any non-objective or misleading information is simply counterproductive and not fair. In my humble opinion, this is potentially a great unit loaded with rich features, but it might need some more work in terms of software updates/development to truly provide the customer satisfaction we are all hoping for.
I am not sure if it seems I made a disparaging comment. If so, quite the contrary. I was trying to commend you on your efforts and thank you for the help you have provided me in my own installation of this unit.

As I have not yet completed the installation and have very limited experience with it so far, I would reserve comment until later. My initial impressions are quite positive.

Regarding the install, I am having trouble finding out how to finish the rear-view camera install and perhaps you could help. I have a camera already installed so it is probably not the one Sean is providing but I am quite sure something similar. I have only the yellow rca camera jack connected. Nothing else. It does show the rear view correctly when I put the car into reverse but when I take the car out of reverse the screen does not revert back to normal. It seems to show some sort of background noise image, mostly dark.

My cables seem different than what you are showing, with the red wire coming out of the yellow rca plug. My harness has only the yellow rca plug and a separate connector marked CAM-12V.

Do I need to connect this CAM-12V cable to something and if so what?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131212_091632.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	538436  

Last edited by guardedandburnt; 12-12-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Image not showing
Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #50
ePhan

Is it wireless?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #51
tstaroveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardedandburnt View Post
Regarding the install, I am having trouble finding out how to finish the rear-view camera install and perhaps you could help. I have a camera already installed so it is probably not the one Sean is providing but I am quite sure something similar. I have only the yellow rca camera jack connected. Nothing else. It does show the rear view correctly when I put the car into reverse but when I take the car out of reverse the screen does not revert back to normal. It seems to show some sort of background noise image, mostly dark.

My cables seem different than what you are showing, with the red wire coming out of the yellow rca plug. My harness has only the yellow rca plug and a separate connector marked CAM-12V.

Do I need to connect this CAM-12V cable to something and if so what?
Hi guardedandburnt,
I will respond assuming you have used the wired connection as I did. At this moment I have not yet mounted the reverse camera, but it has been tested with the cable provided with the unit.
Actually this was 5m long, unshielded RCA cable consisting of three wires: common ground, video signal (analogue) and the red wire (separated from the RCA connector on both sides) which is intended to feed reverse gear signal.
I have connected both +12V camera power supply wire and the red wire from this cable to the reverse light power supply in the trunk lid. The red wire was then connected to the pin 12 of the main head unit connector (you have to cut the blue wire coming from the CAN box decoder and connect the red wire to this pin/input on the unit). This way the camera will receive it's power supply as soon as you put the gear in reverse. Since the camera is analog it will start feeding the analog signal almost immediately. At the same +12V reverse gear signal is fed to the dedicated input in the unit and it will start displaying the video regardless of what it was doing previously (this works even during unit booting).

This works, but I don't honestly believe the unit was originally designed to work in this way. By observing the unit's software and the CAN decoder wiring, I think it is was originally designed to detect the reverse gear from the CAN messages (the same way you get the steering wheel controls) and then sent it to from the CAN bus decoder to the head unit by sending 12V signal to the pin 12 (blue wire). However, at this time this feature does not seem to be completely implemented yet. In addition, EU and USA versions of BMW E46 may differ in terms of OBD/CAN protocols. This is why the CAN messages may differ between different versions of E46 models. If you did not cut the blue wire, your CAN decoder is probably decoding the reverse gear, but is for some reason doing it the wrong way (e.g. It does not change the condition of this signal properly). This is why you have to provide this reverse signal the hard way.

If the unit does not receive +12V reverse gear input, and you have managed to find constant +12V power supply in the trunk lid, you will be able to view the video using the recorder app, but the unit will not automatically switch to reverse video display. On the other hand, if the unit receives the +12V reverse gear signal but the power supply to the camera is not present, you will see the blank screen.

CAM-12V cable can either be ignored (that's what I did), or you can use it as power supply for the camera (instead of using the reverse light as power supply). If you decide to use it for power supply you will be able to record and view the reverse camera at all times, but you will also have to route this wire all the way to the trunk lid. Please note however, that this alone will not solve the problem regarding the reverse signal detection. For reverse signal you will still need one additional wire if you did not receive the three wire RCA cable i mentioned in the first paragraph.

Alternatively, If you already managed to route the CAM-12V to the trunk lid, you can still connect the camera power supply to the reverse light and use + wire of CAM-12V cable for the reverse signal. In that case you will obviously have to modify this cable by cutting the both ends and soldering the + wire to the reverse light on the one side and to the pin 12 of the head unit's main connector on the other. This would in such case be my suggestion.

I hope this info was at least somewhat helpful. I will be waiting for your response.

Best regards,

Last edited by tstaroveski; 12-12-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #52
tstaroveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
Hi Tstaroveski,
Regadrding the pics, here are some showing different LED colors:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07636.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	538497   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07635.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	538498   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07634.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	538499   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07633.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	538500  

Name:	DSC07631.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	538501   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07630.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	538502  
Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #53
guardedandburnt

tstaroveski,

I must thank you again for the concise and thorough reply. Very helpful. I do have a camera hard wired through the car into the trunk. I had this installed at a shop with my last stereo installation and therefore am not quite familiar with the details of the wiring, etc. This time around I am doing everything myself (full replacement of everything stereo related) and as I stated previously, I am using this camera and not one from Sean, so things are a little different from what you have in front of you. I do have a couple of wires up front for the reverse gear, etc. I think I can work it out from what you have described and will make an attempt, hopefully tomorrow. I will report the details of any successes or failures in the interest of helping others in the future. Thanks one more time. Really appreciated.

Later on.... Finally got the camera working properly today and the dash is all buttoned up nicely again. Really quite easy but I didn't know what to do with that camera for a bit until you made it clear. Now I will live with it for a while and perhaps add my impressions to the mix.

Last edited by guardedandburnt; 12-14-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #54
tstaroveski

You are most welcome guardedandburnt.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #55
pillow

My Ride: E46 316i
Hi Tstaroveski,

Thank you for the pictures, very helpful!

I'm just wondering, does it bother you that the SRC button is a different colour to the other buttons?

I can understand answer/hang up call being green/red because that's a normal thing, but I cannot understand why the SRC button is highlighted differently to the other buttons.

Otherwise, I look forward to seeing if Statusbar+ works, as well as the rest of your review.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write up your experience for us all!
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #56
tstaroveski

My pleasure pillow.

Personally, the SRC button is not bothering me. It's just a small design detail that some people might like and some might not.

I will try this app you requested and report back if it works.

With best regards
Old 12-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #57
ePhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardedandburnt View Post
tstaroveski,

I must thank you again for the concise and thorough reply. Very helpful. I do have a camera hard wired through the car into the trunk. I had this installed at a shop with my last stereo installation and therefore am not quite familiar with the details of the wiring, etc. This time around I am doing everything myself (full replacement of everything stereo related) and as I stated previously, I am using this camera and not one from Sean, so things are a little different from what you have in front of you. I do have a couple of wires up front for the reverse gear, etc. I think I can work it out from what you have described and will make an attempt, hopefully tomorrow. I will report the details of any successes or failures in the interest of helping others in the future. Thanks one more time. Really appreciated.

Later on.... Finally got the camera working properly today and the dash is all buttoned up nicely again. Really quite easy but I didn't know what to do with that camera for a bit until you made it clear. Now I will live with it for a while and perhaps add my impressions to the mix.
I was curious. Did you have a stock navi deck before?
Old 12-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #58
guardedandburnt

ePhan,

No, it was a Dynavin D99. Before that it was the stock business head unit.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #59
Chewy

My Ride: '03 LSB M3 Vert SMG
How's part 5 and part 6 going tstaroveski?

Really want to get one of these as my Dynavin has died.

The "Issue tracker" and the "Wish list" will help so much.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #60
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Subscribed.

The must be the best written, most comprehensive product review that I've ever read anywhere on the web. Outstanding work, tstaroveski!
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, e46-rn502, head unit, mirrorlink, navall