E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 273 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #61
Dazza335iC

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '92 335iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfer View Post
Subscribed.

The must be the best written, most comprehensive product review that I've ever read anywhere on the web. Outstanding work, tstaroveski!
I couldn't agree more! Excellent review
Dazza335iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:20 AM   #62
coys

My Ride: E46 330Ci Clubsport
Any updates on this,how are you finding things?

I am tempted to go ahead with a purchase are there any problems you have found?
coys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #63
guardedandburnt

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by coys View Post
Any updates on this,how are you finding things?

I am tempted to go ahead with a purchase are there any problems you have found?
I've been using mine for a while now. I'm quite happy with it so far. There is room for some improvement here and there which will probably be addressed in future updates but it runs smoothly and does what I want. Still haven't got the mirrorlink working. I'm missing the cable. I bought a cable that fits but still no love. Might be proprietary and I can't locate the one that comes with it. Anyway, I would recommend it if you don't mind screwing around with Android and apps to do your thing at first.
guardedandburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #64
ePhan

My Ride: 99 323i & 04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardedandburnt View Post
I've been using mine for a while now. I'm quite happy with it so far. There is room for some improvement here and there which will probably be addressed in future updates but it runs smoothly and does what I want. Still haven't got the mirrorlink working. I'm missing the cable. I bought a cable that fits but still no love. Might be proprietary and I can't locate the one that comes with it. Anyway, I would recommend it if you don't mind screwing around with Android and apps to do your thing at first.

Yeah it's ok so far. They're working on Jelly Bean to work w/ the mirror link. But i agree w/ you. Ton's of room for improvement.

Because of this deck i've gotten more involved w/ the android side of things. Would be cool if there was access to the developer forums to see what's cooking or what nightly builds (if there is) for it.
ePhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #65
RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46
Send a message via Skype™ to RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com
Updates and improvements are Coming guys/gals , Also tstaroveski will be soon finishing his review.
All in all Out of our first 100 units , We are pretty happy. the beauty being , the room for improvement, in many respects is being dealt with as we speak.
and all current units will be updated as soon as they come available.
RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:22 AM   #66
randylep

RADIOGUY@bmwradios.com,

Can you tell us what the "Updates and improvements" are that are coming?

What items are there in the "room for improvement" list?

Are the known issues hardware or software? If the issue can be fixed in software, will a software patch be released? Ideally, it would be nice to know an "expected" date for each known issue as well.

Why am asking about all these details? I bought one of the early Dynavin D99 units which had several issues which could have been fixed in software but never were. About 6 months later they released the D99+ which fixed many of these issues, but at the price of purchasing a whole new unit. It would be nice to have a list of all the known issues to know if they are something I can live with or if I will have to buy another unit in three months to get the fixes.

It does look like a very promising unit that would be a good replacement for my Dynavin, just need to know the status of the design and the level of support it will have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com View Post
Updates and improvements are Coming guys/gals , Also tstaroveski will be soon finishing his review.
All in all Out of our first 100 units , We are pretty happy. the beauty being , the room for improvement, in many respects is being dealt with as we speak.
and all current units will be updated as soon as they come available.
randylep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #67
RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylep View Post
RADIOGUY@bmwradios.com,

Can you tell us what the "Updates and improvements" are that are coming?

What items are there in the "room for improvement" list?

Are the known issues hardware or software? If the issue can be fixed in software, will a software patch be released? Ideally, it would be nice to know an "expected" date for each known issue as well.

Why am asking about all these details? I bought one of the early Dynavin D99 units which had several issues which could have been fixed in software but never were. About 6 months later they released the D99+ which fixed many of these issues, but at the price of purchasing a whole new unit. It would be nice to have a list of all the known issues to know if they are something I can live with or if I will have to buy another unit in three months to get the fixes.

It does look like a very promising unit that would be a good replacement for my Dynavin, just need to know the status of the design and the level of support it will have.

Well If I Did that , Some would be guessing, Some would be me being hopeful and some would be wishful thinking ! LOL

In Short I would rather not until it is all 100% confirmed.
I am not trying to be difficult, it is just that things ebb and change and I don't want people to feel that they have been misled.

What I can Confirm is that the current units will be able to be updated. I assure you that because these are Pure Android , it will be nothing like the Dynavin , and you wouldn't have to replace the units. All new Firmware and updates will go straight onto these units. They actually have an Update process that is just the touch of a screen.

Last edited by RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com; 01-17-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #68
guardedandburnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylep
I'm in exactly the same boat. My D99 is in my closet now. I also had the misfortune of purchasing a dead Enco unit, that I abandoned in Chinese customs prior to that.

The D99 is fine and Jeff is a fantastic rep (Sean has been very helpful too) but I ended up realizing that I wanted a single OS Android system.

My biggest gripe with this Navall is the iPod interface. It's so lame to be barely usable. Luckily with Android we have many more options and I am happy with the arrangement I have worked out. I have been assured that interface will be addressed in the upcoming release due out very soon. We will see.

The Mirrorlink is another more minor one. I'd like to see that working and what possibilities it might yield. The phone functions are fine without Mirrorlink though for now.

Other than that, as I said, I am happy with my purchase so far and would recommend this unit. With some attention Android gives you many options and possibilities and that is the great thing about an Android.

If I can help out trying to answer any specific questions or whatever, I am happy to do so.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #69
guardedandburnt

As aside, Android is an open OS and there seems to work going on at xda-developers on this unit (RoadNav S150). Might be interesting to keep an eye on what comes out of that arena.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2503964
Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #70
RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardedandburnt View Post
I'm in exactly the same boat. My D99 is in my closet now. I also had the misfortune of purchasing a dead Enco unit, that I abandoned in Chinese customs prior to that.

The D99 is fine and Jeff is a fantastic rep (Sean has been very helpful too) but I ended up realizing that I wanted a single OS Android system.

My biggest gripe with this Navall is the iPod interface. It's so lame to be barely usable. Luckily with Android we have many more options and I am happy with the arrangement I have worked out. I have been assured that interface will be addressed in the upcoming release due out very soon. We will see.

The Mirrorlink is another more minor one. I'd like to see that working and what possibilities it might yield. The phone functions are fine without Mirrorlink though for now.

Other than that, as I said, I am happy with my purchase so far and would recommend this unit. With some attention Android gives you many options and possibilities and that is the great thing about an Android.

If I can help out trying to answer any specific questions or whatever, I am happy to do so.

Hi Guarded

We have to try and move that D99 for you ! Ill email you to discuss selling it.
You are Spot on, Jeff is a great rep and we will have ongoing updates and improvements. Which is why i joined here.
You guys are gonna need a conscientious seller to provide you guys updates when they come available. The Navall also has a few unique add ons and more to come on the next round of updates. I don't think I would buy one of these from just anyone ! . And really shouldnt be applying updates unless they come from the factory. I have had 2 bricked already with people playing with the firmware via XDA.

Like they used to say on Hillstreet Blues , BE CAREFUL OUT THERE !
Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #71
RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com
Past Site Sponsor

Just a Little Bump while we wait for Tomislav to finish his review !
Old 02-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #72
coys

I am looking forward to hearing the final review and also feedback from your customers who have already purchased.

Just wondering if you would be prepared to offer a discount to forum members,i am sure if you could be more competitive in your prices compared to Eonon you could grab a lot more interest especially from prospective purchasers in the UK.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #73
madbull1986

My Ride: 320d Touring
Quote:
I am looking forward to hearing the final review and also feedback from your customers who have already purchased.

Just wondering if you would be prepared to offer a discount to forum members,i am sure if you could be more competitive in your prices compared to Eonon you could grab a lot more interest especially from prospective purchasers in the UK.

I am leaving my video of the headunit

Great Unit is all i can say, any question, please fell free to ask

[youtube]
madbull1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #74
tstaroveski

My Ride: 2002 BMW 318D E46
Hello again,
I believe I owe everyone apologies for the delay and for the late response. Due to my unexpected work obligations I simply could not find enough time to finish the review earlier.

Since I posted my previous message, Sean has read the review (Part 5 - Review of usage 1/2) and graciously offered to send me the the new unit free of charge. I had been using this replacement unit for over a month now without any problems and reboots. I will do my best to finish the Part 5 - Review of usage 2/2 this week. Basically, the text is done and I need to finish and upload the videos. The only things I haven't managed to test are the DVB-T tuner and the iPhone interface.

With best regards and many tanks for your patience.
tstaroveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #75
coys

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbull1986 View Post
I am leaving my video of the headunit

Great Unit is all i can say, any question, please fell free to ask

[youtube]

Last edited by coys; 02-24-2014 at 05:25 AM. Reason: ...
Old 02-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #76
coys

Great video,looks good,i noticed that you have TomTom files in one of your folders,have you managed to get it working yet?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:29 AM   #77
coys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstaroveski View Post
Hello again,
I believe I owe everyone apologies for the delay and for the late response. Due to my unexpected work obligations I simply could not find enough time to finish the review earlier.

Since I posted my previous message, Sean has read the review (Part 5 - Review of usage 1/2) and graciously offered to send me the the new unit free of charge. I had been using this replacement unit for over a month now without any problems and reboots. I will do my best to finish the Part 5 - Review of usage 2/2 this week. Basically, the text is done and I need to finish and upload the videos. The only things I haven't managed to test are the DVB-T tuner and the iPhone interface.

With best regards and many tanks for your patience.

How comes you needed a new unit,was there problems with the original or was the new one a upgraded model?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #78
RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
How comes you needed a new unit,was there problems with the original or was the new one a upgraded model?
We decided to replace it as it was not performing to our standards. it had a Slight Hiss, which had been corrected and an Upgrade had fixed it and the GPS was not locking on like it was supposed to Probably just the aerial. So rather than play around with it we sent a new one at no cost to him ! It was the least we could do after this amazing review especially !

the one he returned is now performing flawlessly by the way ! We did change the antenna and Do another upgrade . It was sold as Slightly used !
Old 02-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #79
morgado

My Ride: MG ZT
if i buy one of this units for mg zt how long will take for me to get at home in portugal ?
morgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #80
RADIOGUY @ bmwradios.com
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgado View Post
if i buy one of this units for mg zt how long will take for me to get at home in portugal ?
I have in Inventory in the UK Now so ABout 1 Week it will be there
And No Import taxes ! From UK
VAT is Due 6.5% And thats all

Cheers

Sean

Tags
android, e46-rn502, head unit, mirrorlink, navall