E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
KhanArt

My Ride: 04 M3 JB/Cinn
Anyone in NOVA running catless and with the SAP delete?

My car is registered in NOVA and I am running catless on my E46 M. I already have my O'2 is a ready/passing state so I can pass emissions.

However I am planning to do my SAP delete soon and will need to have that put in a ready/passing state as well so I do not get a CEL light.

My question is... is there anyone in NOVA that is running catless and with a SAP delete that has both sensors in a ready/passing state and not had any issues passing emissions?

I did some searching and all I found some states only allow one sensor to be in a ready/passing state. I do not know if VA is one of those states.

If I won't pass it's not worth it for a few lb's of weight savings and a cleaner engine bay.

Thank you
KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
KhanArt

My Ride: 04 M3 JB/Cinn

How about either?

Anyone running catless or with the SAP delete?

I know someone on here from NOVA has to be doing either if not both..
KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
My 01 330ci passed emissions inspection with SAP delete.

on M3's deleting the DTC's for post 02's set the monitors to ready.

So in essence deleting the DTC's for SAP, and POST 02's it will pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0lar View Post
There are two ways that DTCs are commonly deleted, or at least suppressed, within the MSS50/MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP, and several 'uncommon' ways which won't be covered.

Let's start by learning how to identify a DTC string within the DME. A firm understanding of the DTC errors and their respective codes themselves will be of great assistance. NikolaiD has posted an excellent reference/list that can be located here.

Once you have an idea of which DTC you'd like to suppress, it's important to understand the actual binary string within the DME that represents your DTC. These strings are not located in the same position in all binaries. I'll do my best to provide a list of each DTC and location within each version, but will probably only start with the most commonly-suppressed DTCs for the time being.

The string is 14 bytes long, and generally starts with the hexadecimal DTC code itself, and finishes with a 'FF' terminator. For example, if we look at NikolaiD's chart, we can find that code 170 (AA), 'Minimum flow of secondary air', which is most commonly associated with the secondary air pump delete, has a code of 'AA'. Thus, within a sample 211323002501JD79 MSS54HP DME, we find a 14-byte string at offset 0xE3BE representing that particular DTC that looks like the following:

Code:
AA 01 01 01 01 01 01 00 01 02 03 28 27 FF
METHOD 1:
The first method, and coincidentally also the easiest, I'll mention is the one that I believe to be most appropriate (I reserve the right to change my opinion).

To suppress this DTC, simply alter the string by replacing the 13[sup]th[/sup] byte with '00' as follows:

Code:
AA 01 01 01 01 01 01 00 01 02 03 28 00 FF
METHOD 2:
The second method is to actually zero out the entire 14-byte string as follows:

Code:
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
----------------------------------

Regardless of which method you employ, the DME's errors must be cleared after reflashing the DME with the updated binary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3vertsmg2 View Post
Question,

Will this only suppress the CEL? Will it also set the secondary air pump emissions monitor to ready?

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
There is a no EOBD variant for the E46 M3. But since we have much finer control of the DME nowadays, I don't really recommend flashing it (since it would disable OBD altogether). You're best off turning off the error codes you want to turn off. It has been reported that 0'ing out the entire string for the cat efficiency codes sets the monitors to ready.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 11-27-2013 at 01:09 PM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote