E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2002, 07:11 PM   #1
manik
N_D_N

My Ride: 2002 M3 convt :: SMG
Send a message via AIM to manik
Anyone using Porterfield RS4 Brake pads?

Just wondering if anyone out there is using Porterfield RS4 brake pads ? Have you had any problems ?

Any effect on your OEM rotors from these Kevlar pads in the long run?

How about extensive squeaking?

thanks in advance...

-- manik

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:03 PM   #2
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Pads

I found the Porterfields to be harsh on rotors but good at light braking tracks such as Lime Rock Park. On the street, they squeal, leave a little more dust than stock, and seem to wear out rotors a little faster than stock pads.

Are you looking for a strictly street pad or a dual purpose street/track pad for your first few driver schools? The R4S is more of a dual purpose pad.

Ed

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 08:52 PM   #3
JawKnee
JawKnee Motorsports

My Ride: Nissan 350Z Track
Send a message via AIM to JawKnee
Re: Pads

Quote:
Originally posted by teamdfl
I found the Porterfields to be harsh on rotors but good at light braking tracks such as Lime Rock Park. On the street, they squeal, leave a little more dust than stock, and seem to wear out rotors a little faster than stock pads.

Are you looking for a strictly street pad or a dual purpose street/track pad for your first few driver schools? The R4S is more of a dual purpose pad.

Ed
The only pad that I'm comfortable running on the track and the street are stock Jurid/Textar pads...

• '05 Honda S2000 '03 Nissan 350Z Track ('00 BMW Dinan 3)
  • '04 Subaru WRX Wagon ('01 BMW 330i)
  • '04 Honda CBR600RR
  • '05 Honda CBR600RR
  • JawKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2002, 02:21 PM   #4
    manik
    N_D_N

My Ride: 2002 M3 convt :: SMG
    Send a message via AIM to manik
    Re: Pads

THanks for the info TeamDFL,

Yeah, I am looking at a dual purpose brake pad setup. My main reason to switch my pads was to get LESS brake dust and so I wanted to go with AXXIS, but the guy at the auto shop suggested I go with Porterfields coz they are *better* than Axxis and leave the same amount of dust as the Axxis, but perform better.

I definitely DO NOT want squeaking and want to keep my rotors healthy. I already switched to Porterfields and I am getting a lot of squeaking and its driving me nuts. If these pads are not going to perform as I was told, what worth are they for street? I don't goto the track with my convt, so there goes that advantage !

Whats your opinion on AXXIS ?

-- manik

Quote:
    Originally posted by teamdfl

Ed
    manik is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2002, 04:27 PM   #5
    Amir

My Ride: shoes
    Axxis/pagid pad combo wore my rotors out fast!!!! I installed them with 11k miles on the car, I now have 19.5k and all 4 of my rotors are warped, and I'm replacing them today as a matter of fact. They are very harsh on the rotors. Just don't except warranty to cover your rotors, they wouldn't cover mine, but it's not a big deal since stock rotors are very cheap...

Amir
    Amir is offline   Reply With Quote