E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
JamesH81

My Ride: Mondeo
Low carb lifestyle

Over the past 3.5 years I've put on a lot of weight. I went from a healthy 175lbs to 225lbs in that time and I've been stuck in a rut for so long.

In the past, I would go to the gym 4 of five times every week and my progress in fitness was good and I was left feeling great. However, in the 3.5 years since I've done very little exercise and eaten too many of the wrong foods.

I was looking for a spark that would put a rocket up my arse so that I'd change my terrible lifestyle. I got talking to a friend about low carb foods and he swears by it. His dad has lost 77lbs since January - he did have a lot to lose but all he has done is change his eating habits and has not increased his levels of exercise.

So my question is is a low carb diet beneficial overall? I'm sure I can lose weight over the long term but I also want to get fit again and I'm wondering how a lack of carbohydrates might impact upon my energy levels in the gym.

Since Saturday I have stayed away from carbs and have had plenty of good meats and green leaves. Over 3lbs have disappeared in the last few days so am I on the right track and should I continue this?
JamesH81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Eat paleo. It's kind of lower carb by default and people do really well on it. http://greatist.com/health/ultimate-...eo-infographic
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
JamesH81

Thanks mate, I'll take a look at it.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
personally, i think a big reason why the whole low-carb fad was so successful is because people generally eat too many carbs as part of their normal diet. it's better to understand how much you need and plan accordingly than to just blindly avoid any foods with carbs in them.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
JamesH81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
personally, i think a big reason why the whole low-carb fad was so successful is because people generally eat too many carbs as part of their normal diet. it's better to understand how much you need and plan accordingly than to just blindly avoid any foods with carbs in them.
I would have to agree. I think that moderation in most things is ok. One thing I do not feel too happy about with low carb diets is the high fat intake. They claim you eat less as your hunger is suppressed when eating high fat foods. But I still don't like the idea. I'm going to continue with this diet for at least a month and then reconsider my options. Right now I just want to shift some weight before Hawaii in January
Old 11-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
That's exactly what it is imo.

Paleo preaches no cal counting but when you go paleo you automatically are lower carb because it's no grains. So bread, pasta, oats, rice are out. They're usually replaced with veggies so by default the cals are going to be lower. When I switch back to paleo I'm going to need to make sure my cals are still pretty high so I'll be eating lots of potatoes, and taking shots of olive oil.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Re: Low carb lifestyle

For me Paleo is just a list of foods I can eat, since everyone is different you still need to figure out your macro requirements.

Personally I am in the gym four days a week, so I eat a ton of white rice or potatoes for both my meals those days. I also play hockey once or twice a week so carbs on those days as well.

There are no bad macronutrients, just bad sources.

If I were you, id stick to eating some carbs on days you lift weights, and for the rest of your meals focus on eating animal protein and salads. Eat until you are full. If you do this, you will see results.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Twichel04

My Ride: 1999 323i
I tried the Low Carb thing, and while it did help a little, I never lost much weight. I used to be 150, but I had worked my way up to 190. With the low carb diet, I only dropped about 5 lbs, and then I started having problems with hypoglycemia. Because of that, a low carb diet would have never worked for me, so I kind of gave up. After about a year I was starting to feel down on my self again (still in the 185-190 range). I decided to give counting calories a shot. I also cut out caffeine at the same time (for other reasons) I was a soda-holic... So in my calorie cutting, I quit Mountain Dew cold turkey (very hard to do, lol) and went from having about 4 or 5 cans a day to one can a day of Sprite Zero (no calories, no caffeine). I also started doing more cardio. Nothing major, I never actually went to the gym, I actually used Wii Zumba (only when no one was home to see me do it, of course, lol) But anyway, after about 50 days, I am now down to 160 and still dropping.

I was actually happy after I got to 165, so I cut back on the cardio, but I had got in the habit of eating a lower amount of calories during the day and eating smaller portions, so even with out exercise, I am still loosing weight.

Low carbs can work great for some people, but not for others. Like Debears said, you have to find what works best for you. Counting calories is also nice because you can still eat what ever you want, you just have to be more aware of portioning. I still eat pizza and hamburgers, chicken wings, etc... just in moderation.

OrientBlau 323i - M3 bumper - Eibach Pro Kit - Style 63 X5 wheels - 19x9 & 19x10

Last edited by Twichel04; 11-12-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Twichel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
DylloS

I couldn't imagine drinking anything but water when I'm thirsty. I'd be fat as sh1t.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Twichel04

My Ride: 1999 323i
I used to be 100% mountain dew... I wouldn't drink anything else. now its water about 98% of the time and the occational sprite zero (cause I still need some carbination every now and then, lol).

OrientBlau 323i - M3 bumper - Eibach Pro Kit - Style 63 X5 wheels - 19x9 & 19x10
Twichel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
dabears

Remember there is more to health and fitness than weight and fat. You should try eating paleo with a strong effort for at least a month. Then see how different you feel on a daily basis. The problem with calorie counting etc is that it isn't sustainable. You were hypoglycemic for a reason, your body is too dependent on carbs. If you had stuck with it, that would have subceded. The beauty of paleo is your body naturally feels satisfied within the proper calorie range due to the quality and non processed state of the food you are eating.

I also think you should be doing a weight routine three times a week, it helps your body deal with nutrients in a positive way, and deters muscle loss when losing weight. Otherwise you'll look just as soft as before, just with less size overall.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Remember there is more to health and fitness than weight and fat. You should try eating paleo with a strong effort for at least a month. Then see how different you feel on a daily basis. The problem with calorie counting etc is that it isn't sustainable. You were hypoglycemic for a reason, your body is too dependent on carbs. If you had stuck with it, that would have subceded. The beauty of paleo is your body naturally feels satisfied within the proper calorie range due to the quality and non processed state of the food you are eating.

I also think you should be doing a weight routine three times a week, it helps your body deal with nutrients in a positive way, and deters muscle loss when losing weight. Otherwise you'll look just as soft as before, just with less size overall.

I may try the "whole 30" in a few months. See if I can do 100% paleo.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
dabears

I've heard nothing but great things, it will also help if one you are done you reintroduce foods once at a time, very good way to see what your body can and cannot handle after a significant cleanse.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #14
JamesH81

Thanks for all your input fellas.

One other question: given my height (5'9") and my starting weight of 227lbs, what would you consider a healthy amount to lose each week based purely on the intake of the paleo diet and limited exercise?

My target weight is 176lbs, FYI.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH81 View Post
Thanks for all your input fellas.

One other question: given my height (5'9") and my starting weight of 227lbs, what would you consider a healthy amount to lose each week based purely on the intake of the paleo diet and limited exercise?

My target weight is 176lbs, FYI.
at first you can probably lose 4lbs or so a week then about 1-2. Don't worry about the scale. Just do what you have to do and check every so often.

What will you training look like?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
JamesH81

That's good to know. So far, in the last 6 days I've lost almost 5lbs. I have a bike trainer which I'll do 30-45 mins on each day (moderate resistance). Eventually want to get into running and basic weights.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #17
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Exactly, don't worry about the scale, weight can fluctuate, just in the past couple days I've weighed anywhere from 195-201, I guarantee you I didn't lose 5 lbs of fat this week.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
JamesH81

I know it's wrong but I do obsess a bit about the scales.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH81 View Post
That's good to know. So far, in the last 6 days I've lost almost 5lbs. I have a bike trainer which I'll do 30-45 mins on each day (moderate resistance). Eventually want to get into running and basic weights.
why eventually? Why basic. Go hard as hell on the weights. Do you want to make some progress or good progress?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #20
JamesH81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
why eventually? Why basic. Go hard as hell on the weights. Do you want to make some progress or good progress?
Right now I'm more concerned with getting my eating habits in order because it's been too wrong for too long.

As for the exercise, I have such little free time these days what with excessive work hours, a one-year-old and the hassle of preparing a move to Australia. Sadly exercise has to take a back seat for the time being.