E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Low carb lifestyle

Changing eating habit isnt that difficult to accomplish. But few things you need to avoid are sugar and salt. As you know digesting too much sugar is known enemy of obesity, but salt is as bad as sugar. As far as i know, human body fat holds water to preserve body temperature, and it flushes out with nasty stuffs in our body along with over-digested vitamins. But residual salt in your system absorbs water, stays there and it eventually becomes body fat. So unless you regulate the amount of salt and sugar, low-carb diet will give you a disappointing result. I myself regulated sugar and salt intake for weeks, i havent had time to go to gym due to the class schedule, and yet, i lost 6 pounds so far. (174lbs to 168lbs). Fat loss would've been accelerated had i been less lazy.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89 View Post
Changing eating habit isnt that difficult to accomplish. But few things you need to avoid are sugar and salt. As you know digesting too much sugar is known enemy of obesity, but salt is as bad as sugar. As far as i know, human body fat holds water to preserve body temperature, and it flushes out with nasty stuffs in our body along with over-digested vitamins. But residual salt in your system absorbs water, stays there and it eventually becomes body fat. So unless you regulate the amount of salt and sugar, low-carb diet will give you a disappointing result. I myself regulated sugar and salt intake for weeks, i havent had time to go to gym due to the class schedule, and yet, i lost 6 pounds so far. (174lbs to 168lbs). Fat loss would've been accelerated had i been less lazy.

damn. it's almost 2014 and yet, the class of 2009 strikes again
Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #23
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Easiest way to regulate diet is to only make the right foods available to yourself, don't keep junk in the house and stay stocked up on healthy food so you aren't eating take out.

If you don't have time to cook everyday, cook in bulk when you do have time, get a slow cooker/crock pot, they are amazing.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #24
JamesH81

My Ride: Mondeo
Quote:

Don't worry, I'm checking out all food labels as I go. I reckon I've cut sugar by a minimum of 90% and salt by around half. Still getting used to preparing a variety of dinners to keep things interesting. I was a sugar-holic and cutting it to the degree I have has left me with terrible cravings but I'm working through it. I've heard people say that if you can stay away from sugars for between 2 and 4 weeks, the craving/addiction tends to diminish. This weekend will be a battle!
JamesH81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #25
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Re: Low carb lifestyle

Salt is an essential electrolyte, it does not turn to fat in the body lol. The reason why people recommend decreasing your intake is because it causes excess water retention in the body like you said... But the correlation between this and fat is that in order to remove fat deposits from your body, you essentially need to piss them out once the body has oxidized the cells. If you are retaining a ton of water you will also retain a ton of fat.

The typical American has a high sodium intake from processed foods and low average water intake, which made sodium become villanized... In reality if you are eating a healthy diet, exercising, and consuming enough water, sodium is an essential nutrient and does a lot of good for the body. In fact, sodium reduction diets are dangerous to an otherwise healthy persons well being.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #26
JamesH81

My Ride: Mondeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Easiest way to regulate diet is to only make the right foods available to yourself, don't keep junk in the house and stay stocked up on healthy food so you aren't eating take out.

If you don't have time to cook everyday, cook in bulk when you do have time, get a slow cooker/crock pot, they are amazing.
Had a massive clearout of the cupboards the other day. A bit heart breaking to do but it was necessary.

We have a slow cooker and intend to do pulled pork on Sunday.

One serious negative is the amount of money we're spending with this diet/change. All the processed sh!t is so cheap compared to all the meats and fresh greens we're now getting through.
JamesH81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #27
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH81 View Post
Right now I'm more concerned with getting my eating habits in order because it's been too wrong for too long.

As for the exercise, I have such little free time these days what with excessive work hours, a one-year-old and the hassle of preparing a move to Australia. Sadly exercise has to take a back seat for the time being.
Well do what you can.

Quote:

You basically just told me if I drink the ocean I'll be fat.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #28
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Low carb lifestyle

@dabears, thank you for filling gaps of my knowledge. I once heard stuffs about sodium i mentioned above, but i guess i misunderstood how it works. Thanks again!

And op, you can do this lol.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #29
dabears

Cooking and buying meat in bulk can help with costs. For instance you get more meat from a whole chicken for a quarter of the price of a package of chicken breasts. Once you get in the habit and get some experience you'll find plenty of ways!

Old 12-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #30
94jedi

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
So it's been established that salt is essential to a properly functioning...human. lol. Don't worry, a long time ago, I used to think the goal was to "turn fat into muscle". lol.

We are, by design, meant to live a low-carb lifestyle. Typical food today is simply too dense in carbs and sugar. It's a fact, these are food-like products, not real food. Even our fruits and veggies (organic or not, GMO or not) are not what they once were. Over time, we've made them sweeter and sweeter. Coincidentally, we did the same thing to dogs (I loved my pug but she bore very little resemblance to Lycaon pictus or hell, even Canis lupus) via selective breeding but that's another story lol.

The variable many people seem to forget about is "Activity Factor". If you're sedentary person who's daily exercise consists of nothing more than walking, carrying groceries, etc. (i.e. the normal non-active person), then you should be eating very few carbs per day. There's simply no need for the type of fuel that carbs provide. If you get too much of it, you're body will store it with the intention of later use (which never happens). If you're an active person, then you may need a little more. If you strength train, then you need even more. If you do crossfit multiple times a week with intensity, you're going to need a lot more. For a professional athlete....well, you can see where this is going.

The other caveat here is that the above suggestions are just for "maintenance" of current bodyweight (bones, lean mass, adipose tissue) and proper metabolic/hormonal function.

If you want to lose fat, then your requirements (with activity levels AND performance of tasks factored in) would be less than maintenance levels.

There is nothing wrong with being "low-carb" all the time, in fact, it's beneficial.

Some other thoughts:

For fat loss, It usually all boils down to calories in vs calories out, but not all calories are created equal.

Natural non-man made fat is good for you. The low-fat fad was the biggest scam pulled on human beings since..._____________(you fill the rest in lol).

The Paleo diet is just a template...a starting point for a lifestyle. Paleo diet for my mom (overweight, type II diabetic, very sedentary) will look very different from Paleo diet for a competitive crossfit athlete.

The best advice is to just eat real food. When in doubt, JERF. Eliminate all the processed junk, anything that has more than 2-3 ingredients and/or comes in a box. Trash it all, and start over. Yes, you'll have to go to the market several times a week because stuff goes bad. Guess what - that's a good thing. If it can last 3 years in your cupboard, it's probably bad for you. Eat veggies, meats, poultry, fish, some nuts, a little fruit, and if you're activity level demands it, add in some starches. That's it. There's the secret to health and longevity (when combined with fitness). It's ok to cheat and live a little on occasion but make it the exception rather than the norm. Depending on where you live, it may be expensive to do so, but in the long-run (health-wise), it will always be less expensive than health-care.
94jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #31
94jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Cooking and buying meat in bulk can help with costs. For instance you get more meat from a whole chicken for a quarter of the price of a package of chicken breasts. Once you get in the habit and get some experience you'll find plenty of ways!

Agreed! prep your food in advance as well so that you're not caught unprepared when those cravings hit!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #32
94jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH81 View Post
Had a massive clearout of the cupboards the other day. A bit heart breaking to do but it was necessary.

We have a slow cooker and intend to do pulled pork on Sunday.

One serious negative is the amount of money we're spending with this diet/change. All the processed sh!t is so cheap compared to all the meats and fresh greens we're now getting through.
If you stick with it for a long time, you'll notice your palette will change. About 13 years ago, I used to drink anywhere from 6-10 cans of coke/pepsi per day. I went on the atkins diet at that time and stopped. After about a year on that diet and massive fat loss, I decided to have a sip of coke for old times sake. I couldn't stand it. It was like drinking straight syrup.

Along the same lines, since about October 2010 I've been eating, mainly pastured meats, grass fed, etc. On rare occasions we have to buy regular meats from the grocery store. I kid you not, regular meat tastes so bland. And forget about going out to a restaurant to eat. Although I'm not anti-salt/sodium, restaurant food is soooo over salted I can barely eat it.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #33
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
personally, i think a big reason why the whole low-carb fad was so successful is because people generally eat too many carbs as part of their normal diet. it's better to understand how much you need and plan accordingly than to just blindly avoid any foods with carbs in them.
Well said.

[/end thread]
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #34
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
If you stick with it for a long time, you'll notice your palette will change. About 13 years ago, I used to drink anywhere from 6-10 cans of coke/pepsi per day. I went on the atkins diet at that time and stopped. After about a year on that diet and massive fat loss, I decided to have a sip of coke for old times sake. I couldn't stand it. It was like drinking straight syrup.

Along the same lines, since about October 2010 I've been eating, mainly pastured meats, grass fed, etc. On rare occasions we have to buy regular meats from the grocery store. I kid you not, regular meat tastes so bland. And forget about going out to a restaurant to eat. Although I'm not anti-salt/sodium, restaurant food is soooo over salted I can barely eat it.
I'm glad someone on here understands the difference between grocery and Butcher meat. I find it to be night and day. Both from a taste and nutritional standpoint

Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #35
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I'm glad someone on here understands the difference between grocery and Butcher meat. I find it to be night and day. Both from a taste and nutritional standpoint

I think it's less of a matter of 'understanding' (..which most of us do), and more of a matter 'whether the extra cost is worth it'. The cost/benefit analysis isn't in favor of the more expensive meat.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-10-2013 at 05:26 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #36
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I think it's less of a matter of 'understanding' (..which most of us do), and more of a matter 'whether the extra cost is worth it'. The cost/benefit analysis isn't in favor of the more expensive meat.
Diminishing returns definitely applies!