E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
adamdp

My Ride: Not BMW anymore :'(
Burning oil as fast as gas!!

Ok, so maybe not quite as fast but getting too close. My 2002 325xi is losing oil at a ludicrously high rate: 140 miles/qt in mixed driving, about 350 miles/qt highway. Even though it's losing oil, there are no leaks that I can find, no burning oil smell, no discoloration of exhaust, and the engine is running fine. Every once in a while there is a smell of rotten eggs which I believe is related to the catalytic converter. My question is, is my car really just burning that much oil and, if so, how long can it go before the engine dies? The car has 193,000 miles, no mods of any sort.
adamdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
quick question, what oil are you using?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
How long have you owned this car? What is the recent oil burning history? Did it start this all of a sudden?
Checked the plugs for condition?
Smoke out of the exhaust? Done the test for bad oil rings?
Coolant is oil free?

Last edited by Stinger9; 11-12-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Got to start with the basics, engine temperature, you cannot use the dash gauge, you have to use either the Hidden OBC Menu, 4th link below in my signature or spend $30 or less if you have a smart phone or Windows laptop for a decent OBDII scan tool. See this link - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

Next, as requested, what brand and weight engine oil are you using AND when/how long/how many miles ago was the oil changed??

Then are you 100% sure there are no oil leaks? You would be surprised the lower engine cover will hold a LOT of oil. Only way to confirm is get under the car and remove the engine cover. Oil Filter Housing Gasket is a very common leak point.

Then has the CCV system ever been replaced and has the dipstick ever been removed and cleaned?

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Check for a plugged up oil return in the dipstick tube. Causes massive amounts of oil consumption.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
adamdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
How long have you owned this car? What is the recent oil burning history? Did it start this all of a sudden?
Checked the plugs for condition?
Smoke out of the exhaust? Done the test for bad oil rings?
Coolant is oil free?
I've had it for almost 4 years. I'm the second owner but I bought it off my parents who took good care, never missed a service or oil change. The plugs were replaced about 10k ago. Absolutely no smoke out of the exhaust. I'll have to get back to you on the coolant. There was a previous oil leak in the engine, i don't remember exactly where (can find out when I look back at my records) that had visible oil dripping onto the driveway.

After that leak was fixed, it was burning a little bit but not nearly as much, maybe a quart every 2k? Then over the last 2-3 months it went to a quart per tank, now quart per 150 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Got to start with the basics, engine temperature, you cannot use the dash gauge, you have to use either the Hidden OBC Menu, 4th link below in my signature or spend $30 or less if you have a smart phone or Windows laptop for a decent OBDII scan tool. See this link - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

Next, as requested, what brand and weight engine oil are you using AND when/how long/how many miles ago was the oil changed??

Then are you 100% sure there are no oil leaks? You would be surprised the lower engine cover will hold a LOT of oil. Only way to confirm is get under the car and remove the engine cover. Oil Filter Housing Gasket is a very common leak point.

Then has the CCV system ever been replaced and has the dipstick ever been removed and cleaned?
Thanks, i'll look into the OBC. Right now it's on Moile 1 5w-30, oil last changed about 2k ago. IIRC, the oil filter housing gasket was actually replaced previously for another leak (this stupid car has had a lot of oil issues the last 1.5 years) but I'll double check the service records tonight.

The CCV system has not been replaced. What would just cleaning off the dipstick do? It has never looked unusually dirty or covered in gunk when I've checked the oil level.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Replace the CCV, it's that.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

The DIY I followed

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=starless+ccv

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
adamdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
Check for a plugged up oil return in the dipstick tube. Causes massive amounts of oil consumption.
How would I check for that? Just pulling the dipstick and looking for gunk?

Also, thanks everyone for the quick help!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
adamdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
oh boy does that look like fun
Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
adamdp

Just out of curiosity, sometimes when the car idles it's revving up and down too much, it actually stalled on me once. Any chance the CCV could be a related issue?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
CCV, stat! It is possible to hydrolock the engine if it ingests enough oil due to catastrophic CCV failure.

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdp View Post
oh boy does that look like fun
Arguably one of the hardest DIY's on the car due to the sheer lack of space to work with. It's not THAT bad but if you're new to fixing cars this will break you

Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdp View Post
Just out of curiosity, sometimes when the car idles it's revving up and down too much, it actually stalled on me once. Any chance the CCV could be a related issue?
Clean the throttle body and ICV as you're replacing the CCV and I would just replace both upper and lower intake boots.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
adamdp

Quote:
Arguably one of the hardest DIY's on the car due to the sheer lack of space to work with. It's not THAT bad but if you're new to fixing cars this will break you
Nice to see you take pleasure in my demise
Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #16
adamdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl View Post
CCV, stat! It is possible to hydrolock the engine if it ingests enough oil due to catastrophic CCV failure.

Any ideas on cost to have a shop do this? Any chance I can keep it under $500?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Burning oil as fast as gas!!

Mobil 1 5W-30 ist verboten!!! It does not have the "BMW LL-01" imprimatur. Only Mobil 1 0W-40 meets the LL-01 spec!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
adamdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Mobil 1 5W-30 ist verboten!!! It does not have the "BMW LL-01" imprimatur. Only Mobil 1 0W-40 meets the LL-01 spec!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
AHHHH! good to know! but would that cause the problem? far as I know it's been on mobil 1 5w-30 for almost it's entire life.

Last edited by adamdp; 11-13-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
adamdp

Quote:
Replace the CCV, it's that.
From everything I've read on the forums and on youtube vids, it seems more and more likely that its the CCV. If i brought it to my mechanic, would a crankcase pressure test give me a definitive diagnosis?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
The parts for CCV are around $150. Labor would probably be 4 hours book time. A good mechanic could probably do it in an hour-hour and a half...if he doesn't need to remove the intake for the cold weather kit (which you don't need).

You can do this diy...it seems a lot tougher from the reading than it is. Only issue I had was connecting the vent hose to valve and getting the left screw into the ccv without it dropping...coz I didn't have a magnetic bit. I used dumdum (aka butly tape, 3M window weld roll) on my bit to hold the screw on.

It's your CCV...undoubtedly.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote