E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #21
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
You don't have to replace the whole CCV system. Disconnect what is hose #4 on the diagram and check for blockage. Engine oil is supposed to drain back into the oil pan through there.
If it's blocked, oil is pumped into the combustion chamber and burned.
Jack up the left front of the car and remove the lower engine cover, it'll be easy to see.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...94&hg=11&fg=15

Last edited by lszlszx; 11-13-2013 at 10:04 AM.
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #22
adamdp

My Ride: Not BMW anymore :'(
A little bit more info, looks like the hoses and pressure regulating valve were replaced about a year ago.
adamdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Was the part genuine BMW?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #24
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Burning oil as fast as gas!!

First replace your CCV system like everyone's mentioned and double check for external leaks...

If oil consumption continues then, like my e46 did, then you have a internal problem. I had excessive blow by caused by fail piston rings. I'd lose a quart of oil every 700 miles, or 2 weeks. I switched to a 10w-40 oil to slow consumption slightly.

Eventually the car started to foul plugs and then lost compression in the 2 bad cylinders. Basically the car would need a new engine. So I cut my losses and got rid if it while I could.

Hopefully that's not your problem. It was caused by the previous owner overheating the car without my knowledge.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
adamdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
First replace your CCV system like everyone's mentioned and double check for external leaks...

If oil consumption continues then, like my e46 did, then you have a internal problem. I had excessive blow by caused by fail piston rings. I'd lose a quart of oil every 700 miles, or 2 weeks. I switched to a 10w-40 oil to slow consumption slightly.

Eventually the car started to foul plugs and then lost compression in the 2 bad cylinders. Basically the car would need a new engine. So I cut my losses and got rid if it while I could.

Hopefully that's not your problem. It was caused by the previous owner overheating the car without my knowledge.

Did you notice any smoke or burning oil smell when you determined it was the piston rings? So far, I have no smoke or smell
Old 11-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #26
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
CVV warnings are scarier than the job actually is if you have patience and time. I enjoyed it.

Check the dipstick tube, means the tube that the dipstick fits into. It is a double walled tube and gunk can be trapped in the outer section causing problems like you have.

Do you think you can do this job? What is your experience?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #27
adamdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
CVV warnings are scarier than the job actually is if you have patience and time. I enjoyed it.

Check the dipstick tube, means the tube that the dipstick fits into. It is a double walled tube and gunk can be trapped in the outer section causing problems like you have.

Do you think you can do this job? What is your experience?
One time I replaced the xenon bulbs.

I can get the pressure test done for free so hopefully that will at least give me a definitive answer. If i need to replace the CCV, I'll take a long look at the different DIY's, maybe see if anyone in the regional forums can help out. I'm not inept, but most of my DIY experience is with electronics and woodworking, not cars.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdp View Post
most of my DIY experience is with electronics and woodworking, not cars.
I do all three and skills are not transferable to cars.
You'll have to be the judge; it's just one step at a time and there are plenty of DIY pics and instructions.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #29
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Burning oil as fast as gas!!

It's easy to tell if your ccv is causing the oil consumption-remove the DISA valve and inspect the inside of your intake manifold. If it's relatively oil free you ccv is probably ok. I replaced my ccv As few weeks ago and I pulled the DISA. The inside of the intake manifold had a nice coating of oil.

markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
It's easy to tell if your ccv is causing the oil consumption-remove the DISA valve and inspect the inside of your intake manifold. If it's relatively oil free you ccv is probably ok. I replaced my ccv As few weeks ago and I pulled the DISA. The inside of the intake manifold had a nice coating of oil.
Not sure this is an absolute way to condemn the CCV system?

The intake is always kind of gritty and an oily on almost all the cars I have removed the DISA.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #31
lszlszx

Quote:
A little bit more info, looks like the hoses and pressure regulating valve were replaced about a year ago.
Then it's unlikely that's the problem, unless they didn't do the job right.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #32
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
AHHHH! good to know! but would that cause the problem? far as I know it's been on mobil 1 5w-30 for almost it's entire life.
Way below spec for viscosity, HTHS 2.9 and should be at least 3.5, and a whole lot more.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #33
adamdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
Way below spec for viscosity, HTHS 2.9 and should be at least 3.5, and a whole lot more.
Understood, but would that lead to the high oil consumption by causing a particular part to fail?
Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #34
lszlszx

It depends who you ask. Some people do claim reduced oil consumption by switching to a different oil.
Next time use the "proper oil", but my guess is, you won't see a difference.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #35
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Understood, but would that lead to the high oil consumption by causing a particular part to fail?
M1 5W30 is closer to a 20W than the 40W it should be. That usually means higher oil consumption
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #36
adamdp

Definitely not the CCV, double checked and no oil leaks

Anyway, other ideas? Someone mentioned the dipstick. What exactly should I be looking for with that?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #37
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Could be the CCV inner valve not sealing correctly, there will be NO oil leaks as it is all internal to the CCV.

Other thing to consider is if the converters/exhaust is clogged. Simple back pressure gauge test is all that is needed for that, but there may be other symptoms.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #38
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Before everyone here jumps all over the CCV, you really need to do some investigating. It is not ok to immediately post up "It's the CCV, replace it immediately" and think you are correct without asking further questions. Some people come on here, ask advice and go right out and buy a replacement part when that part might not be the culprit.

Two suggestions I have for you:

Open the hood, and closely, and I mean CLOSELY investigate the bottom side of the engine near where the exhaust manifolds are with a flashlight. REALLY get in there and look at the edge of the valve cover. Is there any oil at all anywhere near there? Feel and dig with your hand, does it come up with any fresh oil on your hand? Inspect the area particularly on top of the exhaust manifolds, a cracked or leaking valve cover can dump tons of oil out, right over the manifold which in turn burns up on the manifold and can bring the oil smell into your car. A consequence of it burning up is that it is not dumping all over the side of your engine or falling down underneath and showing oil everywhere.

Second suggestion: Remove the plastic shield, get underneath the car and have someone else start the car and let it run. Then have them rev the engine while you really closely inspect the oil pan gasket. My wife's E46 was blowing out at least a quart every 100-150 miles or so, with barely any signs of anything near the engine. Turned out to be a leaky oil pan gasket that could ONLY be seen when the engine was revved, a little bubbling out of the very bottom corner up front, some of it was blowing back to the rear of the car and coating the transmission pan, but no where even close to what you'd expect for a quart ever 100-150 miles dumping over all of that area...

These could be two distinct possibilities. Inspect both closely, then perhaps, CCV.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #39
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Quote:
oh boy does that look like fun
I don't know why everyone thinks changing the CCV is so hard. It tok me about 2 1/2 hours just goofing around. And I have some big ass hands. Don't let it intimidate you.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #40
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
I don't know why everyone thinks changing the CCV is so hard. It tok me about 2 1/2 hours just goofing around. And I have some big ass hands. Don't let it intimidate you.
+1
I agree. Some people like to sit and do jigsaw puzzles for fun. I found this enjoyable to figure out where all the pipes went and connecting them properly. Satisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
M1 5W30 is closer to a 20W than the 40W it should be. That usually means higher oil consumption
And yet at almost 100K miles I use non-LL01 brand name 5W-30 and burn close to zero oil at my 8K oil changes. So it is possible.