E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
diablorojo

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
These freaking projects!!!! Please help!!!

Ok, so this is separate from my build thread because I need a different kind of input.

Background: been building, couldn't find effective tunning. Got with ESS for a one off tune for MS45 TS3 kit, however, they could not tune for the 260/268 camshaft.

Installed the ECU, car started right up. Started the car maybe 7 or 8 times over 2 days. The car is too loud so I was waiting until today to take the car to an exhaust shop. Went to start the car and it would not turn over.

Checked ECU and clears a cyl 6 misfire code.

I then went to pending codes and got:

P0365
P0335
P0340

Camshaft A, Camshaft B, and Crank sensor.

Checked the spark plugs and they look fine. Clears the code and tried it again and got the same codes.

So, what could the issue be.

I would have guessed the 260/268 camshaft, but the car started and drove fine, meaning it was slightly loby sound at idle but pretty steady idle.no problems revving, never revved over 3k.

Has anyone else experienced these codes?

I did put steel wool in the muffler to tone it done but it was fine and did not throw any codes, doubt that is relevant, but still an action that occurred.

Last edited by diablorojo; 11-12-2013 at 05:11 PM.
diablorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablorojo View Post
Ok, so this is separate from my build thread because I need a different kind of input.

Background: been building, couldn't find effective tunning. Got with ESS for a one off tune for MS45 TS3 kit, however, they could not tune for the 260/268 camshaft.

Installed the ECU, car started right up. Started the car maybe 7 or 8 times over 2 days. The car is too loud so I was waiting until today to take the car to an exhaust shop. Went to start the car and it would not turn over.

Checked ECU and clears a cyl 6 misfire code.

I then went to pending codes and got:

P0365
P0335
P0340

Camshaft A, Camshaft B, and Crank sensor.

Checked the spark plugs and they look fine. Clears the code and tried it again and got the same codes.

So, what could the issue be.

I would have guessed the 260/268 camshaft, but the car started and drove fine, meaning it was slightly loby sound at idle but pretty steady idle.no problems revving, never revved over 3k.

Has anyone else experienced these codes?

I did put steel wool in the muffler to tone it done but it was fine and did not throw any codes, doubt that is relevant, but still an action that occurred.
I don't think the cam lobe difference is an issue. (I'm running 272/256 cams on a 240/244 tune with no idle or starting issues)

The codes are for Cam Sensor Bank A and B, not the crank sensor.

Check the connection of these sensors to the harness block, and also try re-seating the connectors on the DME.

FYI, the engine will not turn over if there is a fault or disconnect of the DBW TB or the Accelerator pedal. Might be worth re-seating those connections as well.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
diablorojo

Will do, it did stop working once I put the ECU cover back on...
Old 11-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Why not run the cams that ESS had spec'd properly for the TS3 kit?
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
diablorojo

TS3 was/is the the goal of this project. It was close to my current set up to get the car running.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
Cam sensors might be damaged during assembly but two failing at the same time is not normal.

Check wiring as PEI stated.

Check the clearance btw sensor and cam Wheel.
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
diablorojo

I triple checked the connections and still no luck. I Guess I will change the sensors, but I wanted to know how to check for a signal from the CPU to the sensors first. How would I go about doing this?

Also, I have a code for all three sensors, I guess not far fetched with the changes made, but would one of those sensors going bad cause 2 or even 3 codes? I.e. Will a bad intake sensor cause a chain reaction code for an exhaust sensor code?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Hobbit382

My Ride: 99-328i 00-323i
Sorry I didn't chime in earlier, the crankshaft and camshaft sensors are powered up by fuse 3 in the ebox. 20a iirc. I HIGHLY doubt all three Sensors would go bad at the same time. Check the fuse and find the short if it hasn't already been rectified. You said it happened after putting the ebox cover on so my guess would be a pinched wire... If you need anymore help email me for a faster response.

Alex
Master BMW technician.
Hobbit382@yahoo.com
Hobbit382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
diablorojo

Solid yellow wire had come loose from where the piggyback was removed....moving on...
Old 12-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
since you guys are familiar with this, I just got P0365 and P0340 on my wife's E46 wagon. Codes were stored as pending, and after I went for a drive, I ran them again when I got home and they were gone. Both camshaft position sensors are new within the past 2 months. She has been having some odd stalling issues lately, and I'm wondering if maybe it has to do with one of the CPS electrical connectors. Whereabouts is the cam sensor to ECU connection you guys are referring to? Can anyone point me in the right direction with a picture maybe?

I did open the ECU box before just to take a peek, and it looked untouched since the car was new, I unplugged what I could and plugged it back in and everything was very tight.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
diablorojo

My problem was a broken wire from a previous ECU connection. My car threw codes but wouldn't start. You have a slightly different problem.