E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
KCHPFM3

My Ride: HPF 2.5 M3
Question Oil leak in HPF 2.5 from timing chain cover

It's a long story but after a year of finally sorting out my 2.5 by discovering I needed to replace the dual vanos...I have a small oil leak that is apparently coming from the timing chain cover.
After trying to seal it a couple times with a liquid sealent it still leaks after wot runs. I know the main reason is the bolts aren't made to be torqued more than 15lbs or so on the cover and that the cover is also not built to handle 600+ horsepower.
The leak is more annoying than a real problem and the only thing that is "off" on the car (knock on wood), and only ends up leaving a small drop on the floor after it makes it's way down the next day. But as you all know we like to have our cars running perfect.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or can possibly offer a solution?
Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
coinage

My Ride: 02 M3
Oil leak in HPF 2.5 from timing chain cover

Which part of the cover is it leaking from? If it's the top (head to t-cover), I'm dealing with that and my intial thoughts are head lift as I seem to be getting some excessive cooling system pressure after a few pulls. I'm a stock block though w/ e85 and 15psi. Planning on L19's and OE headgasket this winter with a worked over head I have on the shelf. I bought ray's (yellowssm) car last month for anyone wondering lol.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

To be installed: SuperSprint V1,ClutchMaster FX700 twin disc clutch,VAC Solid Diff Bushings, Solid Sub Frame Bushings, AS SSK

03 TiAg/Black SMG- For Sale $17K PM for details

Performance Installs,Maintenance,GT1,Engine Builds,Diff Installs,Fab Work PM for details
coinage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
KCHPFM3

Not exactly sure where leak is originating from but the top would make sense as the shop I take the car to suggested the head gasket be replaced. I question the diagnosis as there hasn't been any coolant leaking in. As you can imagine.. not super excited about replacing head gasket.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
GRK///M3

My Ride: LSB M3

Did you check the timing chain bolt on the right side of the timing chain cover. Its near the oil filter housing. It loosens over time which will give you a small oil leak.

Last edited by GRK///M3; 11-15-2013 at 11:34 PM.
GRK///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
KCHPFM3

Thanks for the tip, I will check it and see if that's the case.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
GRK///M3

My Ride: LSB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCHPFM3 View Post
Thanks for the tip, I will check it and see if that's the case.
Did you find it?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
KCHPFM3

I didn't have a chance to get under there today. A couple of weeks ago I had it in the shop to check the leak again and I would think they would have checked that. If I don't have time tomorrow I will call the them on Monday to check.
This was a different place than the shop that did the vanos replacement. The vanos shop thinks I need to replace the head gasket while the other shop says it's the timing chain cover and probably not worth the time to try and seal it again.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Re: Oil leak in HPF 2.5 from timing chain cover

The side gaskets are one use. once front cover is tighten and remove you have to replace them. same goes with head gasket that goes around top of front cover. At the bottom its connecting to pan which has a rubber seal which stays good for awhile even after removing cover or pan a few times..as long as its not damaged or just to old. You need new side gaskets. They are five bucks each. and the top needs to be seals with black rtv. to put it on so it seals the pan needs to be lowered by loosening all the pan bolts and side power steering bolt. Also remove front main seal to install cover otherwise it'll make it harder to put on to make sure top os sealed right. Install seal afterwards with plastic sleeve on crank. Seal press also best but I've done it with two inch punch and hammer before haha. Anyways there is really not a lot of pressure there so wot won't effect it to much, check Vanos sealing plate, did you use beisan o rings?

Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
The side gaskets are one use. once front cover is tighten and remove you have to replace them. same goes with head gasket that goes around top of front cover. At the bottom its connecting to pan which has a rubber seal which stays good for awhile even after removing cover or pan a few times..as long as its not damaged or just to old. You need new side gaskets. They are five bucks each. and the top needs to be seals with black rtv. to put it on so it seals the pan needs to be lowered by loosening all the pan bolts and side power steering bolt. Also remove front main seal to install cover otherwise it'll make it harder to put on to make sure top os sealed right. Install seal afterwards with plastic sleeve on crank. Seal press also best but I've done it with two inch punch and hammer before haha. Anyways there is really not a lot of pressure there so wot won't effect it to much, check Vanos sealing plate, did you use beisan o rings?

Great info

Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
KCHPFM3

Very good info indeed! I forwarded this info to the tuning shop that replaced the vanos to see that all of this was done. I typically am not comfortable doing this type of work on my own. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Re: Oil leak in HPF 2.5 from timing chain cover

Where are you located?

Old 11-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #12
lrinco01

My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Where are you located?

His Location says Kansas city.. thats about an 8 hr drive to you jesse

he can ship it to you and have you go over the whole kit/engine?
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
KCHPFM3

Yes, I'm in Kansas City. The whole kit was actually sorted during the year it was in the shop. It was running very rich so we followed the hpf trouble shooting guide ended up sending almost everything back to hpf to test under their recommendations. Turned out nothing was wrong with the kit and we needed to replace the vanos. We unlocked the AEM and re-tuned the car and it's running perfectly (585 whp w/o meth, 690whp, w/meth). The only issue is really the small oil leak. Thanks again for your thoughts guys!
And I haven't heard back from the shop yet...