E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #21
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Look at this way.. (my analogy for Nikon DSLR) D5200/D5100 = BMW 325ci D7000/D7100 = 330ci D300s/D800 = M3 lol What they all have in common is they will take a photo using a shutter and aperture. (drive, park, etc) The faster you go up the more torque and horsepower you have. (horsepower = faster shutter) Also a better build. Here is the kicker. When you get your hands on it (i.e. inside the car) the controls are very similar. Menu screens are almost the same except for the entry levels. They added this sorta tutorial type screen. When you go up in models, you get more menu options. That's basically it. When I got my first DSLR I had a headache for a week trying to learn Nikon technology. I had been shooting a film SLR for years, so I realized I had to learn Nikon technology but not at once. Thus the headaches. lol

Which one felt comfortable in your hands? D5200 or D7000? Go with that one. The reason I got my first DSLR was I was missing a lot of shots with my P&S camera. I do still use my SLR but I hated when camera labs stole my photos or f-d up my negatives. I've had my D90 for 5 years. Hopefully I will be able to upgrade in the year. While I've been waiting I've been learning to shoot other fields like portraits, kids, real estate. Oh and learning how to edit. So it could be awhile, but whatever you decide try to get as much out of the camera as you can before you upgrade.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
^ Thats my thinking as well.
I used pentax SLR back in the day. I still have it back home.
Then I jumped to canon P&S megazooms for the ease of carrying.
Trying the nikon DSLRs, they are very much different to use.

I feel D7000 is a bit too advanced, but again I also feel I will outgrow the D5xxx soon. Well, I will keep looking and trying out in the stores for about a couple of weeks. May be there will be a christmas deal too by then.

The issue is, most of the big chain stores do not have both cameras on display at the same time. They will either have a d5200/d5100 or d7000.
I will try to stop at Mike's camera on by way back from work and see if I can compare them side by side.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #23
saxual328ci

NP That's dilemma a lot of people have. Is it too advance (mid grade camera) or will I outgrow the entry level. The mid grade DSLR will give you a little of both. You still have your AUTO settings like the entry level but you have more customizing in camera and more controls on the outside of the camera (quick access). Also, faster shutter, more accessories available. etc But I don't see either as a learning curve. There are so many videos online, you can easily pick it up in no time, which what ever camera you get.

Good luck
Old 12-08-2013, 02:13 AM   #24
trj

Went to a camera shop today and handled D5200 and D7100(they didn't have D7000 display model), but also got a chance to use canon T4i.
Coming from canon p&s, canon felt more comfortable.
Have anyone used canon T4i and nikon D5200 both?
They did have Canon T4i with a 18-135mm STM lens for $650. D5200 was priced at $700 with 18-55mm kit lens.
Also, the auto focus motor on canon, that means cheaper older lenses. hmmm..
Except for the 39 focus points on nikon, canon seemed to win for me. Will the 39 focal points make that much of a difference when taking pictures of games?

Confused again (more).
Old 12-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #25
trj

Come on guys.
Need a little more help now. Give me some points to sway in one direction whether canon 650D with 18-135mm EF-S STM lens or nikon D5200 with 18-55mm lens. I will soon be purchasing a 50mm or a 35mm f/1.8 prime for any of the brands I go for.
With canon 18-135mm STM lens, I won't have to buy another telephoto lens for now(till I decide doing wildlife photography, which may be next year in summer). Although video is not something I want to use the DSLR for, the auto focus and silent STM lens zoom did look really useful in person.

I went to the store again and tried them both. Touch screen of canon is actually much more user friendly I found and fits my hand pretty well(because of bigger grip may be). And the 18-135 STM lens is so silent and smooth.
Oh I did try the canon SL1, it was smaller than my sx10is and felt like I would drop it nose first if I put any heavy lens on it.

Also did more research on the 650D and D5200. Looks like D5200 actually has 9 cross type focus points which is same as the 650D. 39 focus points in d5200 is more of computer generated ones. 650D uses some hybrid technology for the focus and the points are distributed more widely whereas the d5200 cross type focus are more or less concentrated at the center.
Looking at some video review on youtube of both the cameras being compared, they are not much different except in low light where the d5200 wins.

With a faster prime, will low light shooting still be a hic up for canon? I don't plan on shooting on pitch black nights, but I would like to take indoor pictures and outdoor campfires during the camping season. Faster/larger aperture prime?

I know I was swaying away from canon but handling both the cameras at the store, I am feeling a bit more comfortable with canon 650D. May be because I was using a canon before or the touch screen just works fantastic or may be the bundled lens playing tricks on me. The d5200, 18-55mm completely sucked against the 18-135mm STM. Although I am not experienced with the DSLRs, I still could tell the difference between the focusing time, pictures and the lens operation smoothness.

The local camera shop might just be really annoyed with me if I go to the shop to test them again . So, I would like your opinions who have more experience than me.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #26
saxual328ci

Canon vs Nikon. Basically you are buying into a system. When I got my first DSLR I had conducted several test. Mind you I've been shooting basically all my life. Its something I love to do. So my moving towards a DSLR was that I wanted a camera that could capture low light and fast moving subjects. In my group of friends I'm the one that will research the hell out of gadget.

Canon vs Nikon. These are things (test) I did before deciding. First I looked at both menus screens to see which one I could navigate without referring to the menu. The grip is important to me. If I'm going to be holding a camera, it needs to be comfortable for me. The last thing is price of lenses. Which system has larger choices of lenses especially in the range I want to use? This is why I shoot with Nikon midrange camera. I could have gone with semi pro but an old wrist injury makes it difficult. Price for an entry level is a few steps away from a midrange. What you get is more control. If that's not important to you than stay with the entry level DSLR. Canon entry level cameras give you a little more control vs Nikon entry level. Which system to go with is up to you. Either will work.

Next, go to flickr and search the camera you are looking at getting. You can even search camera and lens type. i.e. D5200 18-55mm And see how others are using their camera.

Cliffnotes

The D7000 is about the same size as the D7100. Almost identical. More choices of lenses available.

Canon shoots video better.

Here is a write up of the difference between D5200 and canon 650D (aka T4i)
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ni.../verdict.shtml

If you can, test the type of set up you want to move to. Go to the camera store and see if they have the DSLR and lens you want to use. See how that feels in your hand. Ex 650D and 70-200mm or D5200 and 70-300mm D7000/D7100 with 70-300mm lens.

Which ever one you chose.. either will be okay to shoot with. Remember the camera will not do any miracles. It's up to the user.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #27
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Brb, going engagement ring shopping for saxual.

Lol

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #28
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
Canon vs Nikon. Basically you are buying into a system. When I got my first DSLR I had conducted several test. Mind you I've been shooting basically all my life. Its something I love to do. So my moving towards a DSLR was that I wanted a camera that could capture low light and fast moving subjects. In my group of friends I'm the one that will research the hell out of gadget.

Canon vs Nikon. These are things (test) I did before deciding. First I looked at both menus screens to see which one I could navigate without referring to the menu. The grip is important to me. If I'm going to be holding a camera, it needs to be comfortable for me. The last thing is price of lenses. Which system has larger choices of lenses especially in the range I want to use? This is why I shoot with Nikon midrange camera. I could have gone with semi pro but an old wrist injury makes it difficult. Price for an entry level is a few steps away from a midrange. What you get is more control. If that's not important to you than stay with the entry level DSLR. Canon entry level cameras give you a little more control vs Nikon entry level. Which system to go with is up to you. Either will work.

Next, go to flickr and search the camera you are looking at getting. You can even search camera and lens type. i.e. D5200 18-55mm And see how others are using their camera.

Cliffnotes

The D7000 is about the same size as the D7100. Almost identical. More choices of lenses available.

Canon shoots video better.

Here is a write up of the difference between D5200 and canon 650D (aka T4i)
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ni.../verdict.shtml

If you can, test the type of set up you want to move to. Go to the camera store and see if they have the DSLR and lens you want to use. See how that feels in your hand. Ex 650D and 70-200mm or D5200 and 70-300mm D7000/D7100 with 70-300mm lens.

Which ever one you chose.. either will be okay to shoot with. Remember the camera will not do any miracles. It's up to the user.
Thanks for the advice.
I did go to camera store (Mike's camera here in Denver) and tested the canon 650d with 18-135mm EF-S STM lens and nikon D5200 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm both VRs. I liked both but I was more comfortable handling canon, may be because I was using canon before.
The store was dimly lit, so I was able to see the focusing difference on both. Nikon with the kit lens was hunting for focus and noisy, canon focussed much faster and without any noise. I know its more from the lens. So, I am leaning towards canon t4i with that lens. In fact any canon I will get would be with that lens. With that range, it will give me good range to learn.

Only thing that is keeping me from getting the canon is the 9 point focus vs 39 focal points on the d5200. But then canon has built in motor which means I can use older (after 1980s) lenses whereas with nikon I will have to use the lenses with motors (expensive for the same category lens).
About my apprehension with canon, I had to send my old canon twice to the factory to get repaired. Never experience nikon cameras so can't comment on that. However, reading more, looks like nikon customer service is not on par with canon. I do handle my gear with care, but because of previous experiences, I also know that cameras can break. So, customer service/repair also holds a strong point on my decision.
D7000 I have been eyeing as well, I am not able to see a better price on them. I might have to wait a little if I go with D7000 because I want to make sure I get the one that will suit my shooting and for that I will have to save a little more.

Ordering one of them in a couple of days now, can't wait anymore. I am planning to take pictures of christmas lights.
If anyone sees a good deal on canon t4i with 18mm-135mm STM EF-S, nikon d5200, d7000 please link it.
I am primarily looking at adorama, cameta, b&h, but I may have missed some deals.
I already have eye on a canon 50mm f1.8 for $60 locally, but holding the purchase off till I decide on the camera.

Thanks
TJ
Old 12-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #29
saxual328ci

I'm usually online a lot since I haven't gone back to work full time yet (since car accident). I'll try to post something if I see it. lol @ Xcelratr I'm good.

I've seen mixed reviews with Cameta. Best Buy is "if they have it in stock".

I may not be saying this correct. "the more AF points help if you are trying to focus on a moving subject faster" Nikon has 3D tracking. It works with my D90 and 9 AF pts. Now I've only had maybe once or twice where I wished I had more AF points.. And that was at an outdoor concert where the stage was near darkness. I looked at other photographers that were shooting Pro Canon and Nikon DSLR. There images were just as bad as mine. The lighting on the stage was very poor.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #30
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
lol @ Xcelratr I'm good.
Are you sure I can't change your mind?

Yes
Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #31
saxual328ci

Ah that would be a no lol
Old 12-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #32
Xcelratr

Ahhh, very well then, carry on.

OP, sorry for thread jack/romantic proposition/heart-crushing rejection.

Yes
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #33
trj

^ no problem. Keep it Jolly. I don't mind at all.
But saxual328ci's advices are pretty awesome.

Analyzing and considering my previous pictures, I have come up with the following pattern that I have been taking pictures with my older cameras.
I seldom use my camera to shoot at night. I do intend to shoot indoors but not in total darkness. At most, I will use it to shoot fireworks and christmas lights. That would be only usage of the camera in darkness, all of the other time I will be shooting in daylight.
I don't plan on shooting much videos with it. May be a couple here or there but nothing to make a movie with.
My photographs contains more of sports, landscape and portraits.

Watched many youtube videos and read hours comparing D5200 and canon t4i.

Although nikon seems to be the winner in IQ in those tests, I need a good starter camera to learn on and canon seems to be winning here. I will definitely need the aperture control which is not available in nikon in certain modes on the live view.
Is it available when shooting only via view finder on nikons?
No aperture wheel on both camera's sucks, but canon has at least a button to change although with the same wheel.

Now only to find a good deal on the canon. I am eyeing the adorama refurb for $639, if I can't find any by this friday I will order it. Anybody plan on swaying me on nikon side with d5200?

Last edited by trj; 12-11-2013 at 10:07 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #34
saxual328ci

idk if you got your DLSR yet. I saw this today on Bestbuy

Canon T3i for $700 a lot of cats use it for shooting video.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-eo...99219800050001
Old 01-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #35
trj

Oh, I forgot to update the thread. I did purchase a D5200 with 18-55mm kit lens for a good deal(sale price $530).
Sure I am looking at canon 70D and drooling now.
D5200 is plenty of a camera for me now. Just getting started and learning new things. So, an upgrade will be staying at bay for a while.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #36
saxual328ci

That's what we all did....looking for the next fix lol When I got my first DSLR I didn't want to spend a lot of money. A year later everything changed. I've actually made money shooting. If you really enjoy shooting then why not go for the 70D. The Nikon D7100 isn't too bad either. I would learn how to shoot with your camera and learn more about digital photography before moving to the next body. This way you will know more of what you want.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #37
trj

Yah. That's why I am not investing on lenses right now. Trying to overcome the limitations of the kit lens by playing with settings. I might get a 50mm prime.
I do want a telephoto but I don't want to be heavily invested in nikon.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #38
saxual328ci

You can rent lenses. It's the best thing ever lol I use lensrental.com The ship it with a return shipping label. After you time is done all you do is take it to a FedEx/UPS store and ship it back. So convenient

https://www.lensrentals.com
http://www.borrowlenses.com
http://www.cameralensrentals.com
Old 02-09-2014, 01:59 AM   #39
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Although it's heavy I like to use the nikon 18to300
I hate changing lenses
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #40
trj

Judging my options right now.
18-200mm VR from nikon.
I am sure I would love a 300 reach, but thinking whether I should go with 18-105mm VR or 18-70mm non VR and 70-300mm VR.
18-70mm and 70-300mm VR looks like a nice setup, but I would still not want to change the lenses if possible. 18-55mm and 55-200/300mm is an option too but optically not better than the last option and still have to change the lenses, but definitely cheapest.