E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
x1000 on pics. I can almost picture this in my head. Be careful though!

In all honesty, I'd probably rent a uhaul and pick the parts up, or borrow a friend's truck.

** Removed - Tim330i **
VishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
I keep forgetting you are in Cali, I don't know if I'd risk it with all the strict vehicle regulations. I'm used to Florida where we don't have emissions testing, and people drive trucks to work that could drive over you standing up.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
JuniorT

My Ride: 01 325i & 06 330 ZHP
California man, it doesn't rain here. The floor gets damp, maybe.
JuniorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #24
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
from what i gather, it does not appear to be illegal to drive without a hood in ca. should be fine. rocks could fly into the pulleys though and throw your belts off

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #25
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torok.Designs View Post
I'm going to drive from Nor Cal to So Cal in December, hopefully no rain..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorT View Post
California man, it doesn't rain here.
Oh so Northern California in December doesn't get much rain??
Old 11-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #26
JuniorT

Per California Vehicle Code

V C Section 28071 Passenger Vehicle Bumper Requirements
Passenger Vehicle Bumper Requirements
28071. Every passenger vehicle registered in this state shall be equipped with a front bumper and with a rear bumper. As used in this section, "bumper" means any device designed and intended by a manufacturer to prevent the front or rear of the body of the vehicle from coming into contact with any other motor vehicle. This section shall not apply to any passenger vehicle that is required to be equipped with an energy absorption system pursuant to either state or federal law, or to any passenger vehicle which was not equipped with a front or rear bumper, or both, at the time that it was first sold and registered under the laws of this or any other state or foreign jurisdiction.
Amended Ch. 451, Stats. 1973. Effective January 1, 1974.

FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS AND REGULATIONS
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Standard No. 113 - Hood Latch System - Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, and Buses (Effective 1-1-69)
This standard establishes the requirement for providing a hood latch system or hood latch systems. (Doesn't say you need the hood though!)

Common law, Federal and state statutes don't cover it, but there may be county or city provisions or ordinances that may.
I say you're good to go, EXCEPT for the bumpers!
Old 11-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #27
JuniorT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Oh so Northern California in December doesn't get much rain??
Shoot, NorCal isn't really California
Old 11-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #28
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Just swap hoods in So Cal and leave the old hood down there. Not sure why people have such problems with basic logistics.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #29
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:

28071. Every passenger vehicle registered in this state shall be equipped with a front bumper and with a rear bumper. As used in this section, "bumper" means any device designed and intended by a manufacturer to prevent the front or rear of the body of the vehicle from coming into contact with any other motor vehicle. This section shall not apply to any passenger vehicle that is required to be equipped with an energy absorption system pursuant to either state or federal law, or to any passenger vehicle which was not equipped with a front or rear bumper, or both, at the time that it was first sold and registered under the laws of this or any other state or foreign jurisdiction.

Standard No. 113 - Hood Latch System - Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, and Buses (Effective 1-1-69)
This standard establishes the requirement for providing a hood latch system or hood latch systems. (Doesn't say you need the hood though!)

Common law, Federal and state statutes don't cover it, but there may be county or city provisions or ordinances that may.
Depends what you consider a bumper.

If you leave the re-bar in, and remove the bumper cover, what do you have?
Old 11-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #30
Torok.Designs

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Just swap hoods in So Cal and leave the old hood down there. Not sure why people have such problems with basic logistics.
I want to keep my stock hood.

Quote:

Like he posted above me, it depends what you mean by bumpers. I would still have the bumper on the car, I would just be driving without the "bumper covers". Bumper covers are commonly referred to as the bumpers though. Know what I mean? Thanks a lot for the info! Do you have a link to where you found it?
Old 11-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #31
Torok.Designs

Quote:
California man, it doesn't rain here. The floor gets damp, maybe.
haha I live in the mountains of CA. Lots of rain and snow! I wouldn't trade it for the beach though. You might have to see it for yourself but the mountains are beautiful.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #32
Torok.Designs

From what everyone is saying I think I'll just make sure I won't be breaking the law and if I'm not then I'll be good to go. I'd rather not rent a truck as that will cost more money.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #33
JuniorT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torok.Designs View Post
I want to keep my stock hood.

Like he posted above me, it depends what you mean by bumpers. I would still have the bumper on the car, I would just be driving without the "bumper covers". Bumper covers are commonly referred to as the bumpers though. Know what I mean? Thanks a lot for the info! Do you have a link to where you found it?
The litigation defines it.
As used in this section, "bumper" means any device designed and intended by a manufacturer to prevent the front or rear of the body of the vehicle from coming into contact with any other motor vehicle.

I got it from the CA DMV website
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc28071.htm

And the other
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/
Old 11-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #34
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
from what i gather, it does not appear to be illegal to drive without a hood in ca. should be fine.
maybe not the hood but the bumpers are:
VC 28071

Also the horns are inside the bumper. have to have a working horn also

Not to mention the wind drag OP would have at 70mph
Old 11-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #35
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
maybe not the hood but the bumpers are:
VC 28071

Also the horns are inside the bumper. have to have a working horn also

Not to mention the wind drag OP would have at 70mph
ya was just responding to the op's question on the hood

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #36
Alex323Ci

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
ya was just responding to the op's question on the hood
Oops Yes you were, and you were correct

looks like my post was a bit late as someone posted the CA bumper VC already. I'm slow on Mondays
Old 11-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #37
tonycajjo

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
drive down with your current hood, put the new hood on, and leave the old one behind. or strap it to the roof, or fold it in half and put in the trunk.
tonycajjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #38
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycajjo View Post
drive down with your current hood, put the new hood on, and leave the old one behind. or strap it to the roof, or fold it in half and put in the trunk.
I could strap it to the roof rack... hmmm

Thanks for all the info, if you guys find more on the laws that contradicts it being illegal to not have bumper covers on then let me know.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #39
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
This is kind of a nice idea after all. It would be a good way to show off your meticulously maintained engine bay to the masses. Think about it, pull up to red light, people stare, not because it's funny looking, but because the engine bay is so damned clean you could eat off of it.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #40
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
I've had my car for 11 years and the hood is basically flawless, which tells me nothing has ever come out of the sky and hit it. So what are the chances of something hitting you in your short 8-hour drive? Pretty small, if you ask me. So I know I wouldn't worry about it.

And if you're worried about getting pulled over, drive at night to reduce the risk.