E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #41
dominicgrillo6

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
This is kind of a nice idea after all. It would be a good way to show off your meticulously maintained engine bay to the masses. Think about it, pull up to red light, people stare, not because it's funny looking, but because the engine bay is so damned clean you could eat off of it.
If only my 1999 had a meticulous engine bay haha My friend used to drive his 1967 mustang around without a hood for the reason you just said.
For Sale
245/35/19 Tires - 255/35/18 Tires - Yamaha V Star 650
dominicgrillo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #42
JuniorT

My Ride: 01 325i & 06 330 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoetz628 View Post
I've had my car for 11 years and the hood is basically flawless, which tells me nothing has ever come out of the sky and hit it. So what are the chances of something hitting you in your short 8-hour drive? Pretty small, if you ask me. So I know I wouldn't worry about it.

And if you're worried about getting pulled over, drive at night to reduce the risk.
Now, I'm not sure if I'm wrong so correct me if I am. There's a LOT of dust in S.Cal dust comes from rocks. My hood is chipped to heck from all the rocks that have hit it.
JuniorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #43
dominicgrillo6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoetz628 View Post
I've had my car for 11 years and the hood is basically flawless, which tells me nothing has ever come out of the sky and hit it. So what are the chances of something hitting you in your short 8-hour drive? Pretty small, if you ask me. So I know I wouldn't worry about it.

And if you're worried about getting pulled over, drive at night to reduce the risk.
Yea I think I'm just going to go for it. If I do get pulled over I could just explain how I'm on my way to pick up the parts and don't have room to carry them in my car.

Thanks all for the info and advice. I'll post up pictures of her naked when I do the trip, December 17th.
For Sale
Old 11-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #44
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
- Driving Without A Hood -

Walk there and carry the hood back, like a real man.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #45
dominicgrillo6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post
Walk there and carry the hood back, like a real man.

I'd save gas money then too
For Sale
Old 11-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #46
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLG600 View Post
I'd be surprised if you didn't get pulled over, TBH.
"So THAT'S what that was! Officer I thought I saw something fly off back there. Now I know, thanks!"
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #47
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torok.Designs View Post
I could strap it to the roof rack... hmmm

Thanks for all the info, if you guys find more on the laws that contradicts it being illegal to not have bumper covers on then let me know.
You have a roof rack!? Then why are you not using it for this? That's what it's made for. Things that are too big for the car.
You'll be fine without a hood. You'll be fine without your bumpers. The "bumpers" are just plastic covers and not actually considered bumpers in any aspect. So legally you're fine.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #48
dominicgrillo6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
You have a roof rack!? Then why are you not using it for this? That's what it's made for. Things that are too big for the car.
You'll be fine without a hood. You'll be fine without your bumpers. The "bumpers" are just plastic covers and not actually considered bumpers in any aspect. So legally you're fine.
I didn't want to risk damaging the hood by strapping it up there for such a long ride at freeway speeds. It's an option though. I think I'd just prefer to drive down hoodless and install it if driving hoodless is an option.
For Sale
Old 11-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #49
saace7

My Ride: is for chicks

I want to see this car

Last edited by saace7; 11-19-2013 at 01:08 AM.
saace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #50
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Most places require front bumper and front license plates.
You are taking a huge risk of debris and ticket.
I say rent a truck or get a friend with big SUV, fill gas and buy him 24 packs.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #51
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
After front-end collision (hit-and-run, goddamn uninsured irresponsible mofos), shop that I used to work removed hood latch mechanism. And I had to drive the car to my garage, so I tied the hood with flex-tie, but it broke on the road. Wind spiked, and suddenly all I could see was giant hood on my windshield LOL! I pulled over immediately, but no hard was done to engine itself .

That was my facepalm-able story, and as for your situation....it should be safe unless you encounter any sh!tstorm like debris that could damage any engine components. What if something heavy hits valve cover assy and crack it? What if it magically drops between fan and belts, destroy either one of them? LOT could go wrong, better safe than sorry. Like trj said, you might as well rent a hatchback with folding rear seats or an SUV/truck.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #52
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3

I was going to drive from NorCal to SoCal for my hood (driving without a hood also) and then I remembered just how dusty it is and just how many semi trucks there are on the way and decided to just pay a friend from LA to ship me it (seller wanted local sale)

Personally I wouldn't risk it.. Adjusting hoods is a pain and if not done correctly it will fly off on your way home. What kind of hood are you getting OP?

ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:52 AM   #53
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
The question is really--will it past inspection without a hood (or bumper). I doubt it. So it would not be legal if that is the case. You know you will catch the eye of every cop out there and they will be itchy to pull you over for a ticket. I would not do that. Also, in heavy rain, water will get into the alternator and other electrical areas that do not like water.
If it was me, I would get some roof carriers, wrap the parts up real well (ie blankets) and secure them to top of car. An alternative is to rent a van. I do not know about towing, if that is advisable
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #54
Maddmatt

My Ride: 328i MSport Manual
Nah not worth the potential trouble.

Rent or borrow something suitable like a pickup truck or van.

Could just get the stuff shipped. You're probably spending quite a bit of money on this already so spend a tiny bit more to make it easier and hassle free.
Maddmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #55
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
The question is really--will it past inspection without a hood (or bumper). I doubt it. So it would not be legal if that is the case. You know you will catch the eye of every cop out there and they will be itchy to pull you over for a ticket. I would not do that. Also, in heavy rain, water will get into the alternator and other electrical areas that do not like water.
If it was me, I would get some roof carriers, wrap the parts up real well (ie blankets) and secure them to top of car. An alternative is to rent a van. I do not know about towing, if that is advisable
I stand corrected. Just spotted this on the net:

For those who might be wondering about this old question, there are no provisions under the California Vehicle Code that covers engine hoods. California VC section 27600, for example, does not cover vehicle hoods, only fenders and splash guards, and VC section 28071 only pertains to bumpers.
Now, while none of this prevents anyone from being pulled over for not having an engine hood, it does offer a reason not to pay a ticket and go to court, if, by some creativity, one is issued.

I do not know the source or if it is reliable. BUT, driving without a hood is begging a cop to pull you over and issue you a ticket, something like---driving an unsafe vehicle. You will probably have to pay the $20, $50 or $100 ticket because it would take too much time to return to court and too much money to hire an attorney. Again, you still have (in my opinion) the issue of not driving in heavy rain to protect the electrical system of your car.
One other thought--go to your state inspection station and perhaps they have something that they can give you that indicated hoodless cars are not a problem.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #56
dominicgrillo6

Thank you for the input everyone. I'll let you know what I do when the time comes and if I do decide to drive naked then I'll post pictures.
For Sale
Old 11-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #57
jclip

My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325
If you're main concern is the hood getting damaged, why not drive down, swap hoods and drive back with your current hood strapped to the roof rack?
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #58
dominicgrillo6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclip View Post
If you're main concern is the hood getting damaged, why not drive down, swap hoods and drive back with your current hood strapped to the roof rack?
That is a great option that I hadn't thought of. Thanks for the face palm moment for me after I read it haha. This seems to be the best option so far, thanks.
For Sale
Old 11-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #59
CSP

My Ride: m54
hood and bumper covers are only cosmetic. Aren't Cali laws only strict for emissions stuff? I understand you can't modify many performance parts, but that'd be a slippery slope allowing people to give tickets because someone drives a shitty car, i.e. if you get in a front end accident and there's only cosmetic damage to the hood/bumper covers/fenders, your car performs as it should, it just doesn't look good. Another example... Ariel Atom. It doesn't really have a hood - street legal. Wranglers that remove doors - street legal. Basic requirements - lights at whatever minimum height, bumper, license plates, mirrors, maybe horn. Hell, I don't even think a windscreen is required, as in the case of the atom.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #60
Bird-Dog

My Ride: 2004 330Cic ZHP
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cardboard hood.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	535420
Bird-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote