E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #61
Torok.Designs

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
hood and bumper covers are only cosmetic. Aren't Cali laws only strict for emissions stuff? I understand you can't modify many performance parts, but that'd be a slippery slope allowing people to give tickets because someone drives a shitty car, i.e. if you get in a front end accident and there's only cosmetic damage to the hood/bumper covers/fenders, your car performs as it should, it just doesn't look good. Another example... Ariel Atom. It doesn't really have a hood - street legal. Wranglers that remove doors - street legal. Basic requirements - lights at whatever minimum height, bumper, license plates, mirrors, maybe horn. Hell, I don't even think a windscreen is required, as in the case of the atom.
Yea I see some beat up cars with out bumpers now and then. Who knows if they are getting tickets or not though.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #62
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Speaking of this thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1384893552.649956.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	535435  
Old 11-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #63
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000beamer View Post
Speaking of this thread
Did you take that picture today?
Old 11-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #64
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
- Driving Without A Hood -

I'll be trying this feat saturday afternoon.
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #65
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskisky View Post
I'll be trying this feat saturday afternoon.
Explain?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #66
avr3

My Ride: 02 525i
sounds to me like most of yall dont ride anything with two or three wheels... where everything including your person is completely exposed. Goodness, your car will be perfectly fine! Sure don't follow any gravel trucks but you wouldn't do that anyway. If it's legal, the rest shouldn't even be up for question. Go for it
97 Mazda Miata M Edition-Track Whore
avr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #67
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Didn't read all the post, but I'll throw my 2 cents

Bumper covers are part of the bumper system and are required by law. They protect pedestrians at low impact speeds. Could you imagine nudging some at say 5 mph without the cover the damage you can inflict vs. having the bumpers & hood for that matter.

I can't imagine a cop not pulling you over and ticketing that + inspection afterwards.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #68
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by avr3 View Post
sounds to me like most of yall dont ride anything with two or three wheels... where everything including your person is completely exposed. Goodness, your car will be perfectly fine! Sure don't follow any gravel trucks but you wouldn't do that anyway. If it's legal, the rest shouldn't even be up for question. Go for it
But I would argue that such things as motorcycles are designed for that. Cars are designed to have a hood. That's why i'm worried. But like I said I think it'll be ok. Thanks for the input
Old 11-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #69
CJin2552

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torok.Designs View Post
Hello,

I'm going to drive from Nor Cal to So Cal in December, hopefully no rain, but it is a possibility, and while I'm down there I was going to pick up some parts for my car. One of those parts is a hood.

I probably can't fit the hood in or on my car so I was planning on driving down without a hood on and then installing the new hood where I'm picking it up.

Is this a horrible idea? Is there any prep I should do to make it more safe?

Thank you.
You have a roof rack, judging by your signature, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea, but you might could just put the hood into a large bag and haul it back that way.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #70
BlazingWildBill

My Ride: Ferg 328Ci
Re: - Driving Without A Hood -

A guy in my area bought my OEM hood last night and strapped it to the roof racks on his friends STI. Just wrapped it in a blanket then used shipping wrap and tied it down. And is it a possibility to remove the rear seats and put the bumper in that way? Or if you can fold them down?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #71
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJin2552 View Post
You have a roof rack, judging by your signature, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea, but you might could just put the hood into a large bag and haul it back that way.
Yea, like someone said earlier, I may drive down with my stock hood on, switch hoods at the place and tie the stock hood to the top. That way if it does blow off or something then it is just the stock hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingWildBill View Post
A guy in my area bought my OEM hood last night and strapped it to the roof racks on his friends STI. Just wrapped it in a blanket then used shipping wrap and tied it down. And is it a possibility to remove the rear seats and put the bumper in that way? Or if you can fold them down?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
I will have three friends in the car so that won't work.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #72
Torok.Designs

Thank you everyone for the input and advice. I have some time to make up my mind but you all have helped. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #73
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
Didn't read all the post, but I'll throw my 2 cents

Bumper covers are part of the bumper system and are required by law. They protect pedestrians at low impact speeds. Could you imagine nudging some at say 5 mph without the cover the damage you can inflict vs. having the bumpers & hood for that matter.
Good point. And hoods are increasingly important here with government-mandated pedestrian impact standards that require a certain crush space between the mechanical hard points (say, cam cover) and the hood's sheet metal. Sometimes it's the first impact that breaks your legs but the secondary impact with hood/base of windshield/pillars that does you in.

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #74
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-em-dougle-u View Post
Good point. And hoods are increasingly important here with government-mandated pedestrian impact standards that require a certain crush space between the mechanical hard points (say, cam cover) and the hood's sheet metal. Sometimes it's the first impact that breaks your legs but the secondary impact with hood/base of windshield/pillars that does you in.
Good point, that's why many new cars look like jelly beans.
California isn't as strict as people think (except smog).
OP, call the DMV, or AAA to find out to be sure.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #75
CJin2552

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Ci
Quote:
Yea, like someone said earlier, I may drive down with my stock hood on, switch hoods at the place and tie the stock hood to the top. That way if it does blow off or something then it is just the stock hood.

I will have three friends in the car so that won't work.
I doubt it would blow off if you're being careful. I doubt you'd be driving so fast that it would just take off and slam into someone's windshield.

By the way, I like the look of your car.

Last edited by CJin2552; 11-19-2013 at 09:54 PM.
CJin2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #76
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
Good point, that's why many new cars look like jelly beans.
Agreed. Lots of blunt vertical noses out there too, and some of the new BMWs are the worst offenders. Design constrained by regulation....ugh!

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #77
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJin2552 View Post
I doubt it would blow off if you're being careful. I doubt you'd be driving so fast that it would just take off and slam into someone's windshield.

By the way, I like the look of your car.
Yes I will be careful, and thank you
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #78
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Quote:
Yes I will be careful, and thank you
If you are tying the hood onto your roof rack --yes, it is a consideration that it will fly off based on the speed you are going and the wind speed. However, that will NOT be an issue if you use strong rope like nylon that is about finger thick. Clothes line rope I would be careful about using, it is not strong enough and the center core many times is cotton (or a filler of some sort). Assuming you are going to be driving normally on the Ca highways at 60 mph, I would make sure that you tie it down well, and THEN, do it a second time with additional rope to be double sure. (PS--do not use bungee cord, as I have seen some people do).
And if it was me, I always when done tying it down, go back an put one additional what I call a tow line--just in case. It would be a triple line from the hood on the roof to the rear bumper. Just in case something happens and it flies loose, you catch it in tow, rather than hit the car behind you and you then have a lawsuit and expenses for that damage.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #79
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
If you are tying the hood onto your roof rack --yes, it is a consideration that it will fly off based on the speed you are going and the wind speed. However, that will NOT be an issue if you use strong rope like nylon that is about finger thick. Clothes line rope I would be careful about using, it is not strong enough and the center core many times is cotton (or a filler of some sort). Assuming you are going to be driving normally on the Ca highways at 60 mph, I would make sure that you tie it down well, and THEN, do it a second time with additional rope to be double sure. (PS--do not use bungee cord, as I have seen some people do).
And if it was me, I always when done tying it down, go back an put one additional what I call a tow line--just in case. It would be a triple line from the hood on the roof to the rear bumper. Just in case something happens and it flies loose, you catch it in tow, rather than hit the car behind you and you then have a lawsuit and expenses for that damage.
Good idea about the tow line. And I will tie it down very well don't worry. I've learned my lesson before ....

I usually use bungee cords when putting my kayaks on the top of my car. One of the kayaks flew off once in the high winds and driving speeds of the mountains where I live. That's why i'm nervous. But I'll tie it much better this time and it should be easier to tie than two kayaks.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #80
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Quote:
Good idea about the tow line. And I will tie it down very well don't worry. I've learned my lesson before ....

I usually use bungee cords when putting my kayaks on the top of my car. One of the kayaks flew off once in the high winds and driving speeds of the mountains where I live. That's why i'm nervous. But I'll tie it much better this time and it should be easier to tie than two kayaks.
As you experienced, bungee cords are NOT the strongest, and stretch in high wings giving the potential under certain conditions to unhook, in the exact same manner as when you manually stretch it to unhook it. But unlike something like kakyaks, a hood on the roof at 60 mph is going to take much more wind pressure lifting it off, much much more than something like a kakyak.
Needs to be tied down with nylon cord, and double tied. It will not fly off that way, but just in case the tow line will catch it instead of breaking someones windshield, paint damage, auto accident--and big expenses.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote