E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
RoLLiN247

My Ride: 04 BMW 325XI,06 GSXR
Send a message via AIM to RoLLiN247
Am I screwed? Blackstone Labs report...

Hey guys. I am currently in the process of doing a 133k mile overhaul on my 2004 325xi. (control arms, ball joints, axles, all fluids, ps reservoir, steering guibo, urethane bushing, springs, struts, VCF, Oil pan gasket, plugs, filters, new key, engine mounts, misc hoses).

I decided to try out blackstone labs so I sent them a sample of my oil. I was checking it mainly for any coolant since the car did overheat slightly when the water pump failed. However, the oil analysis report I received back from them looks completely demoralizing. Looks like engine wear at twice the national average. What do you guys think of it? Should I be concerned? Any tips? I have had this car since approximately 40k miles. I have done oil changes every 5-7500 miles with OEM specified BMW oil. Is is the beginning of the end for the engine? Did I just dump 3k for nothing???

photo oilreport.jpg
RoLLiN247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
How are you driving the car? Conservatively? Flooring it everywhere? How about startups- are you letting it idle long? Are your trips very short?

Multiple things can factor into bearing wear. Would I be concerned- Yes I would, however I would send another sample on the next oil change and see.

** Removed - Tim330i **
VishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Just drive it and keep changing the oil. If it blows, a decent used engine is going to be far more economical than a full rebuild. Occasionally, ignorance is bliss!

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
RoLLiN247

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpersav View Post
How are you driving the car? Conservatively? Flooring it everywhere? How about startups- are you letting it idle long? Are your trips very short?

Multiple things can factor into bearing wear. Would I be concerned- Yes I would, however I would send another sample on the next oil change and see.
Honestly, I do not think this car saw passed 80mph since I have owned it. Now that you mentioned it, my trips have been very short during the last year. I tend to let it warm up for around 10 mins. I will definitely send them another sample in the next 3500 miles.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
When the engine oil is cold, it cannot lubricate properly. On a totally warm engine, the oil is around 210F, which is why Blackstone gives you the oil viscosity at that point.

The oil doesn't reach this temperature until well after the coolant has reached it, so don't rely on the temperature gauge to tell you when your engine is warm enough to start redlining your shifts. It takes about 30 minutes for the oil to warm completely.

Change your driving habits, baby the car until you've been in it for 30 minutes, then send your oil to Blackstone at the next change. I'm sure you'll see a difference.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Money is this engine is running too cool due to a soft thermostat.

Suggest you check the 3rd link below in my signature on how to properly determine if the engine is running warm enough.

As mentioned, oil takes longer to come up to temperature, usually about 3 times longer on these cars with the big oil sump and lack of a oil cooler (most water cooled oil coolers are really oil heaters at the end of the day anyway!).

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Did the oil you sent them have 3k miles on it? Or was it your normal oil change interval of about 6K?

I'm no expert on oil analysis, but if it really had 3k miles on it, I'd be a little concerned. A significant portion of engine wear occurs in the first few seconds. If you start your car often, but don't put on many miles, that can cause high readings. Of course, I could be wrong . . .
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
RoLLiN247

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
Did the oil you sent them have 3k miles on it? Or was it your normal oil change interval of about 6K?

I'm no expert on oil analysis, but if it really had 3k miles on it, I'd be a little concerned. A significant portion of engine wear occurs in the first few seconds. If you start your car often, but don't put on many miles, that can cause high readings. Of course, I could be wrong . . .
Yeah this oil had around 3k miles on it. I had to do the oil pan gasket so I dropped it earlier than usual.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Money is this engine is running too cool due to a soft thermostat.
Damn, you're good. Definitely check your engine temp per jfoj's link to make sure the thermostat is working properly.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
tttomttt

My Ride: 2003 330xi
A ten minute warm up is way too long. 2 or 3 minutes and then drive it conservative until @ operating temperature. Other than that I would follow everyone else's advice.
tttomttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
A 10 minute warm-up is a terrible thing for any car. Give it a few seconds to circulate the oil. On a cold day, 30 seconds, perhaps a minute if you're well below freezing.

Sorry, I don't want to start a warm-up debate but prolonged idling is one of the worst things you can do to your car (cold or warm). To quote Bob Sikorsky, author of "Drive it Forever": "...prolonged idling is considered one of the most severe operating conditions". Reducing the amount of idling will: "reduce deposit buildup and wear directly attributable to prolonged idling", "Less engine idle time = fewer engine deposits = less engine wear. This rule becomes even more important when the engine is cold".
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
FenderGuy05

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tttomttt View Post
A ten minute warm up is way too long. 2 or 3 minutes and then drive it conservative until @ operating temperature. Other than that I would follow everyone else's advice.
Honestly, the manual tells you to start it and drive off. I usually start up, and leave my house, keeping it under 3k RPMs until the engine is warm.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
jfoj

Yep, actually takes longer for the engine to warm up idling than driving. And in an idle situation, the oil even takes longer to warm up than if you drive the car.

Start the engine, let is run long enough for the idle to drop down, not more than about a minute and hit the road.

Most cars get to about 140F coolant temp in the first mile, but the oil 2-3 times longer than the coolant temps. Withing about 10 minutes the engine should be up to full operation temperature, but it takes 20-30 minutes for the engine oil to get up to temp depending on the driving conditions and outside temps/the starting oil temperature.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 11-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
RoLLiN247

Yeah I usually let it warm up between 5-10 mins when it is below 50 degree outside. This seems to solve this issue that I have when it is cold with my tranny. (When I put it in Drive and the car is really cold and has sat for a few days, it just revs and does not go anywhere. Once it is warm, it operates perfectly)
Old 11-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 View Post
Honestly, the manual tells you to start it and drive off. I usually start up, and leave my house, keeping it under 3k RPMs until the engine is warm.
I agree and it's also what I do. Start, back up after 5-10 seconds, then take it easy (you don't have to baby it, either) until the motor is at operating temperature.

10-minute warm-ups and entirely short trips is more than likely the cause for that abnormal engine wear.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
jfoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoLLiN247 View Post
Yeah I usually let it warm up between 5-10 mins when it is below 50 degree outside. This seems to solve this issue that I have when it is cold with my tranny. (When I put it in Drive and the car is really cold and has sat for a few days, it just revs and does not go anywhere. Once it is warm, it operates perfectly)
One way to try to overcome the transmission not engaging is to manually put the car in 1st gear, stab the throttle quickly to boost the fluid volume and pressure, usually you can get the clutch pack to engage, then drive and manually shift, letting off the throttle slightly to manage any slippage.

Usually after 1-2 blocks the trans should shift find on its own unless the temps are below freezing, then you may need to baby it a bit more.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
Slapsys

My Ride: 323Ci
I like to pull out of the garage while the rpm's are dropping from the start crank.
Slapsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #18
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
OE oil from BMW is garbage and shouldn't be used in an M54 or M56.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #19
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Is 3000 miles typical for you? There are studies that show changing an oil too early could actually be detrimental.

For reference, this is my dad's 535 with 17k miles on the OE oil. I know, very different engine, though I would argue that it's harder on oil than any M5x engine.

Also, you most likely have an M54, not M56. No XI came with an M56

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 11-19-2013 at 10:57 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
m_peterson6

My Ride: 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Is 3000 miles typical for you? There are studies that show changing an oil too early could actually be detrimental.

For reference, this is my dad's 535 with 17k miles on the OE oil. I know, very different engine, though I would argue that it's harder on oil than any M5x engine.

Also, you most likely have an M54, not M56. No XI came with an M56
Can you provide a link(s) to "studies that show changing an oil too early could actually be detrimental"?
m_peterson6 is offline   Reply With Quote