E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
bitumenkitchen

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Remote Start on a Standard?

I finally have a ride nice enough to spoil, and I have every intention to do so.

Please help me help her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1384993804648.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	535658   Click image for larger version

Name:	1384993886501.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	535661  
bitumenkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Disable the clutch switch, BMW Scanner may be the best way to do this, then you need a spare EWS transponder to allow the car to actually start.

Overall, not sure remove start with the manual is wise with the clutch switch bypassed/programmed out in case you forget and leave the car in gear.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
LD330XI

My Ride: '05 330xi
Re: Remote Start on a Standard?

Good choice of remote starter. All of what jfoj said.

What I did with my old focus was wire a relay to close the clutch switch wired into the output for the PATS bypass.

Also, using it in manual with reservation mode will prevent the car from rolling away when started. Unless you go under the car and put it in gear when it is off. But it is a pain to wire.
LD330XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
bitumenkitchen

Thanks, it was a gift from my brother while I was driving my e39 some years ago. Mileage was pretty high, so I waited out for this one.

But anyway, thank you both for the input. EWS transponder, PATS bypass, pain to rewire, still sounds Greek to me, but I plan to keep wading around until I learn something.

Cheers.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
compcrasher86

My Ride: '01 330i ZSP Manual

I noticed you mentioned you want to spoil your ride. Contrary to popular belief actually, remote start really doesn't do any good for the engine. In fact the idling is more harmful than just taking off and driving gently until up to temp. If you have a personal incentive, say maybe to spoil yourself by coming out to a warm interior and no ice on the windows, then by all means go for it! I had one on my SUV and I used it if I saw ice on the windshields out my window.

And, I'm sure you already know this but once that clutch switch is disabled you really can't leave your car in gear ever when you turn it off. You know, for a safety, what about tapping the neutral wire on the remote start to the e-brake switch? Sorry if I keep suggesting these things I don't mean to doubt your intelligence, just the possibility of a runaway car scares me.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by compcrasher86; 11-21-2013 at 01:44 AM.
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
bitumenkitchen

Fair enough, I regress.

Please help me help her help me.

Last edited by bitumenkitchen; 11-21-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #7
bitumenkitchen

I park it in neutral anyway. On level ground, that is. Would you advise against it? No doubt scary imagery, watching it just roll away.

But dude, I'm not offended. Idk dick about it. I'm appreciative of any and all opinions and yours. Just don't dare question my intelligence again.

Last edited by bitumenkitchen; 11-21-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
LD330XI

My Ride: '05 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post

And, I'm sure you already know this but once that clutch switch is disabled you really can't leave your car in gear ever when you turn it off. You know, for a safety, what about tapping the neutral wire on the remote start to the e-brake switch? Sorry if I keep suggesting these things I don't mean to doubt your intelligence, just the possibility of a runaway car scares me.
With the compustar remote starter wired correctly and the little green wire clipped in the brain (manual transmission mode), the car must be put into reservation mode. To activate it, you must:
Once arrived at your destination, pull up on the parking brake
Let foot off brake petal
Shut the ignition off (car continues to run)
Get out of car

Once the door is closed the doors will lock and the car will shut off. If any doors or hood open, the system will disable the remote starter until reservation mode has been reset.

Now with that said, there are ways to bypass this. But if it is installed properly, there is very little chance of your car rolling away.

Again, this makes foe a lot more wiring, but it is totally worth it for the peace of mind.

But I will not install a remote starter in my BMW since I have a garage to keep it in. But when I didn't, I thought about it. It is all up to you.

Last edited by LD330XI; 11-21-2013 at 02:18 AM.
LD330XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
bitumenkitchen

Thank you, all.

Now get on it.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #10
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Engine block heater.. There is even a factory one. (Better mileage and warm engine = less wear)

Extended idle is BAD BAD for rings, valves, cat, and if your radiator fan fails,, poof no more engine..

Given the above average number of ways for things to go wrong with E46 cooling systems.. NOOOO!

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:29 AM   #11
bitumenkitchen

Good looking out, Dave.

Keep 'em coming.

Last edited by bitumenkitchen; 11-21-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 AM   #12
compcrasher86

My Ride: '01 330i ZSP Manual

Cool news on the reservation mode. It sounds pretty foolproof because even after you've taken your key out it stays running so you "can't" leave it in gear while leaving the car. Smart. I've installed a couple remote starts in my time and never learned about that feature. Wonder if it'll let you pop the trunk without killing off reservation mode? I like to keep my bags back there

OP sounds like you got the right remote start for the job, if/when you go through with this I'd be interested to see which wires you tap and where. I imagine the computer interface takes care of most of the door locks and stuff. Don't know enough about the transponder keys to tell you how that'll work.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by compcrasher86; 11-21-2013 at 02:40 AM.
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #13
bitumenkitchen

Thanks for all the comments, and still open to more.

If/when, I will post the progress to make sure you guys are going down with me.

Cheers.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver

There's a DIY on remote starter. A buddy of mine wrote the only existing one for our cars.

On a side note, seeing as our cars are notorious for cooling issues, imagine it happening during remote start
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I'm a guy that learned to drive when cars still had solid steel dashboards, and the gas tank was behind the seat in my pick up truck.

I think remote start is an inherently bad idea and should not even be considered. I also live where the sun shines each and every day, and the birds are singing from the tree tops for hours before I have to take my car out of the barn.

What keeps somebody from parking the car and then putting the gear shift into a gear so that the car lurches forward through the garage wall and into the bedroom on the other side of that wall? What keeps somebody from putting the car in gear after Engine Off, so that the car can lurch forward when the remote start button is pressed and you are not looking at the car to see that there is not a child there to be pinned and crushed?

Remote start in an automatic is okay, I suppose, but in a car with a manual transmission it is nothing short of folly. In the car with an automatic, you can be sure the car is in either P or N when the remote start is activated, but in a car with a manual you have no idea what condition the car is in, and the result can be deadly in the worst case, and unreliable in the best case -- if the car does not smash through the wall because it's in gear, then it also isn't going to start and hence is unreliable.

I see nothing good in remote start in a car that has a manual transmission.

Last edited by jdstrickland; 11-22-2013 at 01:02 PM.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I think the Reservation Mode pretty well addresses the overall manual transmission concern, see below. I would hope that if the car actually had an OEM alarm, even if the windows were down and someone decided to reach in an put the car in gear, no idea why anyone would want to do such a thing, then the alarm would trigger and could shut the Reservation Mode off and disable the remote start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD330XI View Post
With the compustar remote starter wired correctly and the little green wire clipped in the brain (manual transmission mode), the car must be put into reservation mode. To activate it, you must:
Once arrived at your destination, pull up on the parking brake
Let foot off brake petal
Shut the ignition off (car continues to run)
Get out of car

Once the door is closed the doors will lock and the car will shut off. If any doors or hood open, the system will disable the remote starter until reservation mode has been reset.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
I think the Reservation Mode pretty well addresses the overall manual transmission concern, see below. I would hope that if the car actually had an OEM alarm, even if the windows were down and someone decided to reach in an put the car in gear, no idea why anyone would want to do such a thing, then the alarm would trigger and could shut the Reservation Mode off and disable the remote start.
Got it.

I still don't like it. But it is safer than I thought.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote