E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Stay Away From Manufacturing Brand Vaico!

I'm making this thread out of recent dissapointment from the Vaico brand, which almost has altered my mind about buying aftermarket parts to replace Genuine BMW stamped parts.

1) I replaced the driver door brake a while back in the summer, being that the door sounded loose and the door did not stay open whatsoever, which was the main issue. I went with the Vaico door brake because it was on sale from ECS Tuning for around $7.50 due to limited quantity. Keep in mind that other websites price this unit nearly the same as Genuine, so I thought this was a steal. It also didn't raise any red flags to me being that it was priced so high off other websites, which usually means that it is the same exact part, just without the BMW stamping. I couldn't be more wrong. To make a long story short, I was wrong. The door brake arm is made of plastic, whereas the Genuine is a metal arm covered with a thick rubber coating. Being that it was plastic, after 2 weeks, the Vaico door brake squeaked and rattled more than a Genuine door brake that was 12 years old! I replaced it with a Genuine and never had a problem since.

2)I again rolled the dice with Vaico when I upgraded my exhaust system to that of a Magnaflow full catback, which is significantly bigger. I used Vaico for the middle support brackets that hold up the center muffler section. These units are rubber. The reason I went with Vaico was because the Genuine ones were $20 a piece, which is ludicrous! It turns out that this too, was a big mistake. When I drove home from the dealership who installed my exhaust, the car made no noises whatsoever, just that of a beautiful exhaust howl. This lasted for about a month, until what I believe what happened, is that the Vaico mounts compressed and the exhaust now rattles like a b1tch off the support beam. Without hesitation, I ordered OEM ones, and guaranteed these will fix the problem. I looked under the car today and the exhaust is practically resting on the beam! You gotta be kidding me!!

I am never buying anything Vaico, ever again! Stay away!

DONT BUY, DONT BUY

Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
///M Protocol
Banned User

My Ride: i3
so is vaico is aftermarket right. they are not an OE supplier/manufacturer to bmw?
///M Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Sweetness

Correct.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Well I feel for you. I have found myself contemplating BMW quality versus just about anything else in general. Hey I'm like everyone else that wants to save a few dollars in replacing parts especially with those that are supposed to be OEM/S quality. Lately I been having my doubts in the items I have been replacing. The parts look equal but at times I don't think it is the case. I know BMW has got to mark some items up based on just adding their name to the part or the box or the advertising dollars or what ever. But are some parts really living up to the exact standards? Maybe I should start a thread about this. In some of my own independant testing in real life, I don't think that is the case. One point I have is my swaybar endlinks. 7 years with genuine BMW, from day one. 2 with a set of Meyle HD's. Price difference, maybe $10 each. Anybody else noticing any differences with just sticking with genuine BWM??

Last edited by Phoenix330ci; 11-20-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Phoenix330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
7xWDC-MSC

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix330ci View Post
Well I feel for you. I have found myself contemplating BMW quality versus just about anything else in general. Hey I'm like everyone else that wants to save a few dollars in replacing parts especially with those that are supposed to be OEM/S quality. Lately I been having my doubts in the items I have been replacing. The parts look equal but at times I don't think it is the case. I know BMW has got to mark some items up based on just adding their name to the part or the box or the advertising dollars or what ever. But are some parts really living up to the exact standards? Maybe I should start a thread about this. In some of my own independant testing in real life, I don't think that is the case. One point I have is my swaybar endlinks. 7 years with genuine BMW, from day one. 2 with a set of Meyle HD's. Price difference, maybe $10 each. Anybody else noticing any differences with just sticking with genuine BWM??
I bought a few things aftermarket when I first started getting into the maintenance on my car, but after the failed VR VCG put a sour taste in my mouth I buy only OE or OEM now OE if it's relatively close in price. I even buy OEM Gemi hose clamps.

The only success i've had in my very short exposure to aftermarket parts for our cars is a $10 washer fluid pump I bought off amazon, 3 years later and it's still working like a champ and it certainly doesn't owe me a thing.

I also have the luxury of living 2 miles from Turner Motorsport and 18 miles from Bavarian Autosport but shop mostly at bavauto because it's tax free.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
I noticed when ECS starting carrying Vaico parts a few months ago and I was immediately skeptical. I looked into the company and did some research but I couldn't find much. I see they have operations in Finland and China.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
Is there a thread on brands to avoid/buy for certain parts? Perhaps we should make one. I always search a DIY on a part I'm trying to replace to see if there are any brand recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Christ...

I hope you come back in 5 years and read these posts.
You come off as an angry ghetto kid with mental issues.

I'm sure its really a stellar achievement to buy a five thousand dollar car, pimp it out craigslist wheels, and slap on some ebay springs.

Congratulations, your car is a disaster.
VishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI

I don't mess around with anything unless it comes over the parts counter of my BMW dealer. I do things right and do them once.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
I don't mess around with anything unless it comes over the parts counter of my BMW dealer. I do things right and do them once.

I was doing this when I first bought my car. But then I asked them to quote me on parts cost for spark plugs and a fuel filter and they said this:

spark plugs 6 x $32
fuel filter 1 x $240, later reduced the price to $180.

Then I became an online US vendor shopper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Christ...

I hope you come back in 5 years and read these posts.
You come off as an angry ghetto kid with mental issues.

I'm sure its really a stellar achievement to buy a five thousand dollar car, pimp it out craigslist wheels, and slap on some ebay springs.

Congratulations, your car is a disaster.
VishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Quote:

That is my new mantra.......do it once. Yes I too was burned on the VR VCG....kept thinking I did something wrong as it would fail like 5/8000 miles later. For the cost of three parts I could have bought one BMW part and been done for like 60K.

Other parts that stung are the CCV junk.......I think the last ones I got were finally all BMW.....however mine are all warm climate which is original.....when I go up north (Flagstaff) like once a year or so during the winter to enjoy snow you can guarantee that one of them will leak regardless.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:

I'm also primarily of this school of thought, but places like getbmwparts.com, bmwpartssource.com among others are BMW dealerships that sell parts out of the back end on the internet for much better prices. Just passing the info along if you didn't already know.

I really lucked out when I purchased my Audi because Audi of San Diego sells parts for much, much less than dealer markup through their website, genuineaudiparts.com.

I've also made good friends with the guys at BMAparts.com. They've helped me out of a pinch more than once.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I'm also primarily of this school of thought, but places like getbmwparts.com, bmwpartssource.com among others are BMW dealerships that sell parts out of the back end on the internet for much better prices. Just passing the info along if you didn't already know.

I really lucked out when I purchased my Audi because Audi of San Diego sells parts for much, much less than dealer markup through their website, genuineaudiparts.com.

I've also made good friends with the guys at BMAparts.com. They've helped me out of a pinch more than once.
Being a car dealer I buy all my parts for 30% off of cost, so I'm not completely crazy for just going to my dealer. Also a lot of the time I need something quickly and usually one of the 3 dealers within 50 miles of me has it so its the convenience factor as well.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Being a car dealer I buy all my parts for 30% off of cost, so I'm not completely crazy for just going to my dealer. Also a lot of the time I need something quickly and usually one of the 3 dealers within 50 miles of me has it so its the convenience factor as well.

Ah, I see. I was unaware you actually work in the industry. I have another friend that works for a nationwide chain of auto repair places and he's constantly rubbing all the perks he gets in my face. Consider me jelly

Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
OP you are always having trouble with your purchases!

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
Sweetness

1) Thanks for all the responses guys. I really appreciate the discussion. When it comes to brands to avoid, MTC is one of them that comes to mind immediately. (I believe they were selling expansion tanks for $20 last time I checked, which is nuts.) I definitely have added Vaico to this list as well. For other manufacturers, it depends on the part. Meyle makes great control arms and a great expansion tank; however, makes poor rotors. Victor Reinz is a company that makes gaskets, and for some applications, they are fabulous. For others, like the VCG, it is horrible. Maybe we should make a thread of this.

2)In a perfect world, I would only buy OEM. But like a member mentioned, for some parts they are very reasonable, and for others, they ask astronomical amounts. I believe when these cars came out, the asked really high prices for parts. Now that the market is declining, and they see how competitive we are when buying, they were forced to slash prices to compete with aftermarket. (except for DISAs and BMW Performance airboxes that skyrocketed)

3)Lastly, Marshmallow, it does seem that way. Ive bought numerous things this past year, and it seems like I've had some sort of trouble with 1/4 things, which lead me to becoming a more Genuine Parts guy. But all has been good man! It's all minor stuff.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:27 AM   #16
Blu Bandit

My Ride: 2001 325i
Here's my 2 cents. I purchased a Vaico coolant tank, exactly 1 year later IT FAILS, where the cap screws on. Well they have a 1 year warranty, boo hoo, lesson learned. Oh and I did replace the cap first but the neck of the tank has a leak, AND it's getting worse, by the minute.
Blu Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #17
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
I generally shy away from dealer sourced parts except for things like keys. Instead, I look for parts made by the OEM supplier to BMW. Pelican Parts is an excellent source for that information (and for parts.) If I need brake pads, l check Pelican for the OEM brand, note their price and then do a search on Amazon, eBay, oembimmer, BMA, etc. And if you ever buy parts from Advance, they sell the Beck Arnley brand, which are repackaged BMW parts. I will always shop for the best price when I need parts for my cars.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #18
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Bandit View Post
Here's my 2 cents. I purchased a Vaico coolant tank, exactly 1 year later IT FAILS, where the cap screws on. Well they have a 1 year warranty, boo hoo, lesson learned. Oh and I did replace the cap first but the neck of the tank has a leak, AND it's getting worse, by the minute.
Please replace, engines are expensive!