E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum > Spec E46 racing class forum

Spec E46 racing class forum
Official Spec E46 racing class forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
BimmerWorld - Spec E46 Build Thread

I have been heavily involved in the development and rules for this class, and I think we have really come up with something great, but that can be debated and discussed elsewhere. For now, I am going to put my money where my mouth is and build the first example car. You can check out pictures and notes of our build on our BimmerWorld Spec E46 Project Page.

We found a nice 2002 330ci listed on Autotrader thanks to Jason Tower - one of the class creators. This car has 196k on the clock, is a manual trans car, and is in mostly nice condition - a perfect race donor, all for $3,000. In the process of looking there are tons of cars in a 300 mile radius of us that are 100-196k miles, manual trans, $3-5k ASKING price, and very solid condition. They are out there.

BimmerWorld SpecE46

Our build will be a typical build. We are not going over the top or doing anything tricky just because we can. The end product is a car that anyone can build, maybe with some professional help on a cage and some reinforcement welding. We will not be going over the top to remove weight - this will be what I feel should be the typical build.

Additionally, this thread will serve as our how-to. If you have any questions about why we are doing something, ask. I am not going to go in depth about our cage design - that can be debated elsewhere ad nauseam and has been. But I will fully explain our part choices, and how to build what I feel is a solid, competitive racecar for the class.

Enjoy the build, and hopefully it encourages you to build one of your own!

James
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Dadofour

My Ride: '91 325ix
Subscribed
Dadofour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Very cool James! What are your plans for the oil pump assembly? I installed the Bimmerworld wire tied Oil Pump Nut on mine. Are you going to be doing anything more involved than that? Any plans for a better vibration damper?

I'm excited to see where this project goes. Please keep us updated!
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Btw I have 2 stock rear m68 rims in case you want to run a square set up on that car. I need them out of my garage.

Last edited by secono330ci; 11-27-2013 at 11:35 PM.
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
JamesClay
Sponsor

At this point, the rules don't allow a different balancer. From GRAND-AM use, I feel that with the proper RPM limit and a fresh balancer (we replace every year for out 7k RPM operation), we really should be fine without spending more money. We are gathering more data points on the issue and certainly I will drive it hard and be the guinea pig for the class. The goal is to not add expense and have a solid, durable car - and to balance those two the best we can.

Thanks for the wheel offer - we will be going with Apex on ours I think - new class contingency partner!

Bimmer World
Old 11-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Cool! I'm in too. Love those Apex wheels.

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting

Last edited by bee-em-dougle-u; 11-28-2013 at 01:54 AM.
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #7
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
In. Looking forward to seeing all the builds. I'd love to get in on this in the future

Last edited by Sedan Hussein; 11-28-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
rob_h

My Ride: M3 Vert, SE46 Race
More details on the contingency programs. If I could get my cage builder going, I expect to test our car before the end of the year. The holiday schedule will be tricky for the build, though.
rob_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
JamesClay
Sponsor

There is a sponsors page on the specE46.com site. All sponsors have committed to supplying a contingency but details haven't been worked out yet. Not all are spec part suppliers - for example you don't have to run PFC pads or Red Line fluids, but you do to win their contingency awards. All will have some minimum field requirement and we will push more to formalize once we have cars to show them.

Bimmer World
Old 11-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
jlucas

My Ride: 325i
James, I hope your going to keep track of everything on a spreadsheet (even in the non race parts, like old OE stuff that needs replacing as you build the car) and share that with everyone.

Very curious about this class, but I'm not sure I will have the budget for it.

<-- Still liking SpecE30 so far
Spec E30 #53, 07 335i, 84 911, 01 325iT
jlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Spec E46
Sponsor

we're working on the build sheet right now and will post it soon, it may or may not have maintenance items but will include all the race hardware you'd need.

Last edited by Spec E46; 11-28-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Spec E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #12
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8
I am also keen to see how the B30s oiling system fares under motorsport conditions and your approach if anything comes up.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
Lercs

My Ride: 00 328i, 00 323it
Hey bimmerworld, if you are not going to use those wheels, feel free to ship them to 8legsRacing on our next order! I'd love to have them for my street car.
www.8legsracing.com
Lercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lercs View Post
Hey bimmerworld, if you are not going to use those wheels, feel free to ship them to 8legsRacing on our next order! I'd love to have them for my street car.
You will see those and others as they come up in the Clearance/Used section of our online store. Thanks!

Bimmer World
Old 12-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #15
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quick update. I was in Munich last week/weekend, but the guys are moving forward between all the season prep on our pro cars. The interior is now mostly stripped and ready for the cage.

Today the cage work started. We have some customer work that is taking higher priority, but I should have some good progress by middle of next week. I'm eager to start getting the parts moving - over 15 years doing this and I still love ordering my own parts!

And on a commercial note, our 12 Lists of Christmas special starts Thursday. In a quick scan, the first five days have something that I will be purchasing for our build. If you're building one and starting to collect parts, save some bucks this month!

Bimmer World
Old 12-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Let us know what the subframe mounting points look like.

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
JamesClay
Sponsor

Lots of cage progress in the last few days. The guys are going to have this one ready for winter testing it seems! Here is a sneak pic, but more are available on our main site BimmerWorld Spec E46 Project Page.

Bimmer World
Old 12-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
SLUF

My Ride: POS-325e
In for info.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #19
04 Rabbit Man

My Ride: Pro3
AAF is in! Looks like we will be starting on a build very soon!
04 Rabbit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #20
87Euro

My Ride: 04 330i
Are the M68's staggered and if so are they in good shape, i may be willing to take them off your hands if your interested in sellilng them, I want a staggered set to replace these Chrome 19's taht are on my car.