E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum > Spec E46 racing class forum

Spec E46 racing class forum
Official Spec E46 racing class forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #21
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Euro View Post
Are the M68's staggered and if so are they in good shape, i may be willing to take them off your hands if your interested in sellilng them, I want a staggered set to replace these Chrome 19's taht are on my car.
Yes and in excellent shape. And if you call BimmerWorld to order and pay for them them by 3PM today, we can put them on the transporter and bring to Daytona for next week pick-up to save you shipping.
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #22
87Euro

My Ride: 04 330i
Ring Ring, asking for James in a moment;-)
Old 01-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #23
vlcmstnsct

My Ride: 2002 E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
Btw I have 2 stock rear m68 rims in case you want to run a square set up on that car. I need them out of my garage.
Hey man shoot me a PM I'm interested in the rear wheels if available...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

VIR Oktoberfast 2013
vlcmstnsct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #24
JamesClay
Sponsor

Sorry for the big delay between posts. Looks like Spec E46 is charging along nicely! We have 4 cars in the shop to build now and one of them shoved its way in front of our car to be able to meet the start of the season in the PNW.

Nevertheless, we are chugging along. The cage is finished and painted now, and all fab is done. We are almost left with bolt-ons - about 3 days to finish the car - once we get those days of course. Still need to wrap up the interior paint. As always, more details and photos on our website (http://www.bimmerworld.com/view_proj...57638133535625), but for now, here's the money shot:

Bimmer World
Old 02-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #25
AutoAnalystsII
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Spec E46
Hey James, this is a great thread and we've subscribed! Thanks for all your help with the launching of Spec E46. We look forward to working with you guys!
AutoAnalystsII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #26
neil1138

Oh my, this is very tempting.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #27
JamesClay
Sponsor

Magnaflow is just about done with the prototype spec exhaust. A tight fit with the underpanel, but they retained our equal length front Y design that resulted in about 8 more Hp on an E36. Primary joints are V-banded, full exhaust is 100% stainless - and US made!

Resonator is a larger 18" version to help with sound and the rear has a mild turndown for both bumper opening fit and sound in tough places like Laguna and LRP. Optional straight pipe will be included when you are allowed to turn it up, but our testing on past systems has shown no power difference (we will do this again when we have production parts and share the data). This might even make a good street/track part for anyone without cat requirements...

Bimmer World
Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #28
Spece46Racer

My Ride: e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClay View Post
Magnaflow is just about done with the prototype spec exhaust. A tight fit with the underpanel, but they retained our equal length front Y design that resulted in about 8 more Hp on an E36. Primary joints are V-banded, full exhaust is 100% stainless - and US made!

Resonator is a larger 18" version to help with sound and the rear has a mild turndown for both bumper opening fit and sound in tough places like Laguna and LRP. Optional straight pipe will be included when you are allowed to turn it up, but our testing on past systems has shown no power difference (we will do this again when we have production parts and share the data). This might even make a good street/track part for anyone without cat requirements...

Hey James,
Great build so far! Any updates?
My buddy and I are looking to start a Spec E46 build. Looking at all the rules, these should be pretty quick little cars for sure. Plus for the BMWCCA Endurance Series they would be ideal with low weight, decent power and a huge fuel tank.
Spece46Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #29
rob_h

My Ride: M3 Vert, SE46 Race
There are a number of cars being built and at least 3 being raced already. This is our car, which was used to prototype the exhaust. It sounds and runs great. It is important to note that there is a loss of ground clearance due to a support bracket (not pictured).
rob_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #30
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spece46Racer View Post
Hey James,
Great build so far! Any updates?
My buddy and I are looking to start a Spec E46 build. Looking at all the rules, these should be pretty quick little cars for sure. Plus for the BMWCCA Endurance Series they would be ideal with low weight, decent power and a huge fuel tank.
Sorry for the delay in updates. This car has been completed and I just need to find some time to document the rest of the build. Here is a quick pic of the completed car until I get there:

We actually jumped a customer's car in the schedule in front of ours and raced that this spring in Washington in the first head to head race of two cars - with the two Spec E46s finishing 1-2 overall in a 6 hour enduro. The Black #46 car snuck an overall victory in the VIR BMW Club Race this spring with a golden pitstop and some solid laps. So far, lap times on our car are 2:10 at VIR and 2:13 at Watkins with one of our office guys driving.

We plan to have 5-6 at the VIR 13 Hour this fall and a similar number at the 25 at Thunderhill. So far, we are getting lots of traction and it is shaping up to be a really solid class with good participation.

Bimmer World

Last edited by JamesClay; 06-25-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #31
Spece46Racer

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in updates. This car has been completed and I just need to find some time to document the rest of the build. Here is a quick pic of the completed car until I get there:

We actually jumped a customer's car in the schedule in front of ours and raced that this spring in Washington in the first head to head race of two cars - with the two Spec E46s finishing 1-2 overall in a 6 hour enduro. The Black #46 car snuck an overall victory in the VIR BMW Club Race this spring with a golden pitstop and some solid laps. So far, lap times on our car are 2:10 at VIR and 2:13 at Watkins with one of our office guys driving.

We plan to have 5-6 at the VIR 13 Hour this fall and a similar number at the 25 at Thunderhill. So far, we are getting lots of traction and it is shaping up to be a really solid class with good participation.
Thanks for the information! Very helpful and nice to know these cars are doing well in competition.

FYI: I was part of a pit crew (Bimmerworks) about 6 years ago at Summit and watched your pits for a couple hours during the race. Now I've come full circle and have my SCCA and BMWCCA licenses. A couple weeks ago I was an instructor at the BMWCCA Club Racing School with Ryan at NJMP.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #32
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
FYI: I was part of a pit crew (Bimmerworks) about 6 years ago at Summit and watched your pits for a couple hours during the race. Now I've come full circle and have my SCCA and BMWCCA licenses. A couple weeks ago I was an instructor at the BMWCCA Club Racing School with Ryan at NJMP.
Awesome! Welcome!!

Bimmer World
Old 06-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #33
Spece46Racer

Quick question on the rules.
I saw the minimum weight is quite low with driver (so for me, I'd be able to cut about 600lbs off a 330 to get to the minimum weight.
I don't see anywhere in the rules that bans the use of CF hood, roof or trunk. It just states that they need to be stock shape.
This would help to cut a bit of weight (up high for the roof especially).
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #34
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
Quick question on the rules.
I saw the minimum weight is quite low with driver (so for me, I'd be able to cut about 600lbs off a 330 to get to the minimum weight.
I don't see anywhere in the rules that bans the use of CF hood, roof or trunk. It just states that they need to be stock shape.
This would help to cut a bit of weight (up high for the roof especially).
Thanks!
Official rules answers will come from the website or your sanctioning body eventually, but I will give my interpretation, which is correct in this case. The rules start by saying if it isn't specifically mentioned you can replace something, you can't. Hood, trunk, doors, etc aren't in the rules as an alternate part allowed, so the answer is stock.

The minimum weight is set so that a 250# driver and gear combo can fit in the rules without extreme lightening measures. I weigh in at 235 with gear and we need ballast in our car - and we didn't dig super hard to get rid of extra weight that would be time-consuming to remove - we hit the basics.

Bimmer World
Old 07-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #35
BMWinLinE6

My Ride: E46 sedan
Is the ECU tune a special tune from Epic just for the spec E46? Or is it the generic Epic tune for 330?
BMWinLinE6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #36
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinLinE6 View Post
Is the ECU tune a special tune from Epic just for the spec E46? Or is it the generic Epic tune for 330?
A very specific SpecE46 calibration, and the ECU is sealed.

Bimmer World
Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #37
BMWinLinE6

My Ride: E46 sedan
Quote:
A very specific SpecE46 calibration, and the ECU is sealed.
Thanks James. Is this available yet? Sounded we need to send ECU to Epic for reflash and seal? Do we have a list of features about this tune? I wasn't able to find it on website.
BMWinLinE6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #38
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinLinE6 View Post
Thanks James. Is this available yet? Sounded we need to send ECU to Epic for reflash and seal? Do we have a list of features about this tune? I wasn't able to find it on website.
Not available yet. We are finalizing one item that we consider important for the class. General features list and sales/sealing process will be available after that piece is finalized.

Bimmer World