E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #21
ReactiveShooter

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2001 740il
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr3wX5 View Post
Thats awesome! How is the audio quality compared to stock? Can you confirm if you can use steering wheel controls to answer/hang up calls while connected to bluetooth?
I haven't gotten the car out of the garage yet but listening to it in the garage I can say its a marked improvement over the business cd I had which was crap. This may be due to better output or may just be due to the fact that the unit allows better frequency equalization control. The stock HK amp and speaker setup is still holding it back.

I did not attemp a call using Bluetooth yet. I will try soon.

Last edited by ReactiveShooter; 12-14-2013 at 10:08 PM.
ReactiveShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #22
ReactiveShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haug523 View Post
I'm actually more interested in sound quality compared to Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood etc...

My guess is that it is Superior to stock as it were with the Dynavin units, but the Dynavin wasn't better compared to other well known brands as the one mention above, at least not the 1st gen Dynavin.
I can't comment unfortunately. But I will say that I doubt any high end head unit could sound any better on the stock speaker setup. At least not in my '02. The speakers are just too old and worn out.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactiveShooter View Post
I haven't gotten the car out of the garage yet but listening to it in the garage I can say its a marked improvement over the business cd I had which was crap. This may be due to better output or may just be due to the fact that the unit allows better frequency equalization control. The stock HK amp and speaker setup is still holding it back.

I did not attemp a call using Bluetooth yet. I will try soon.
Quote:
I can't comment unfortunately. But I will say that I doubt any high end head unit could sound any better on the stock speaker setup. At least not in my '02. The speakers are just too old and worn out.
This is a pretty typical response when people swap the head unit (regardless of brand), it does sound somewhat better but the weak link in the chain is the amp and particularly the speakers if they are "aged" and disintegrating! So you should probably expect similar sound quality and if its better its a bonus!

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-15-2013 at 09:15 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #24
ELCID86

My Ride: 2004 330i (ZHP) x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions View Post
This is a pretty typical response when people swap the head unit (regardless of brand), it does sound somewhat better but the weak link in the chain is the amp and particularly the speakers if they are "aged" and disintegrating! So you should probably expect similar sound quality and if its better its a bonus!
Agreed. Just wish there were more alternatives to retrofit speakers.
ELCID86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #25
tommy@avinusa.com
AKA: M3Evolution

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Quote:
This thing is awesome!

I am posting on the internet from my car stereo while streaming pandora through my cell phone as a hotspot! THE FUTURE IS NOW!

but seriously, this thing is cool.
tommy@avinusa.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #26
ReactiveShooter

Quote:
Actually it seems I was wrong. What I took for worn out speakers was the old head unit sucking really hard. Drove the car to work today and it sounds much better at high volumes! The stock HK amp and speakers are doing a pretty good job. The system is still feeding to many lows to the poor small woofers, but I think I can cut that out with some tweaking to the audio settings. It gets so loud now that the lack of sound deadening material in the m3 becomes very noticeable. I'd say that's what's holding me back now for sound is too much resonation/vibration going on. And the lack of subs of course. Looks like I'll have to dig out my box of dynamat. Also the stock sub in the trunk pass-through hole buzzes a little at high volumes now because it's hitting so hard.

Hopefully tomorrow I can spend some time in the car and play with the settings. Was in a hurry today.

Some stuff I am finding slightly annoying; even though I've left my phones hotspot on and have the unit set to stay on for two days, I still have to go to the wireless settings page before it will connect to the phones hotspot after I get in the car. I don't have to manually connect, but I have to bring the page up and them it automatically connects.

I still haven't gotten it to connect to my Bluetooth obd2 thingum but I suspect it is faulty.

There is slight static audible when in some apps, Bluetooth especially. The funny bit is, it changes with what's in the screen, the static changes if I drag down the top menu or something like that. It is not noticeable over car and road noise but if you are stopped with the car off and in Bluetooth with no audio going and it's turned up to med/high volumes the static is quite noticeable. I could only see it possibly becoming annoying while listening to an audiobook via Bluetooth with the car off. It does not bother me, but it is worth mentioning.

Last edited by ReactiveShooter; 12-16-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #27
in1985

My Ride: 2003 330ci
AVIN hiss and static with harman kardon

Quote:

There is slight static audible when in some apps, Bluetooth especially. The funny bit is, it changes with what's in the screen, the static changes if I drag down the top menu or something like that. It is not noticeable over car and road noise but if you are stopped with the car off and in Bluetooth with no audio going and it's turned up to med/high volumes the static is quite noticeable. I could only see it possibly becoming annoying while listening to an audiobook via Bluetooth with the car off. It does not bother me, but it is worth mentioning.
I've just installed the AVIN unit in my 2003 330ci with factory navigation and Harman Kardon audio.
Overall, I've got to say the system is awesome, very responsive, very happy with it. Also have to give props to Tommy, he's super responsive and willing to help.

I have the same issue ReactiveShooter - when there is no music playing and even when the system volume is set to 0 - I get audible static and hiss coming through the speakers. Though it's not noticeable when driving or when music is playing. Also when changing the volume from 0 to 1 I get an audible "pop".
Sometimes it's worse than others, if I put the volume up around 10 (with no audio playing) the hiss and static becomes quite audible.

Perhaps this is something to do with the HK audio?

This thread over at e46zone suggests a "4 Channel Line Output Convertor" may fix the problem. (Not sure of the rules to post links to another forum here, couldn't find anything to say I couldn't)
http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/4...an-kardon-amp/

If I could get this solved, the AVIN unit would be close to perfect.

2003 330ci
in1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #28
Dr3wX5

My Ride: X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by in1985 View Post
I've just installed the AVIN unit in my 2003 330ci with factory navigation and Harman Kardon audio.
Overall, I've got to say the system is awesome, very responsive, very happy with it. Also have to give props to Tommy, he's super responsive and willing to help.

I have the same issue ReactiveShooter - when there is no music playing and even when the system volume is set to 0 - I get audible static and hiss coming through the speakers. Though it's not noticeable when driving or when music is playing. Also when changing the volume from 0 to 1 I get an audible "pop".
Sometimes it's worse than others, if I put the volume up around 10 (with no audio playing) the hiss and static becomes quite audible.

Perhaps this is something to do with the HK audio?

This thread over at e46zone suggests a "4 Channel Line Output Convertor" may fix the problem. (Not sure of the rules to post links to another forum here, couldn't find anything to say I couldn't)
http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/4...an-kardon-amp/

If I could get this solved, the AVIN unit would be close to perfect.
Were you able to figure this out? Maybe this only occurs if you have HK audio? Can anyone confirm if they also have this problem and if they have HK amp or not?

My order is shipped but will not be delivered for some time. I will let you guys know if I have the same problem, however I do not have HK, and I ordered the X5 model, so it may be slightly different.
Dr3wX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #29
J&T Distributing

Simple issue, simple fix. The following applies to ALL aftermarket head units in E46s, the noise you are experiencing its typical of any install using the stock amp....most people dont notice or care, but if you do there are workarounds.

First off, HK is a non factor.

The E46 (and most BMWs) has an amp between the head unit and the speakers. Aftermarket head units have a higher level output than the stock head unit (more power) and the amps job is to take the incoming signal and amplify it. All audio equipment has some level of noise, its referred to as the "noise floor". The the amp does not know the difference between music and background noise, it amplifies ALL of it, you experience this amplified noise as "hiss". One of the goals in putting together a nice audio system is to minimize the noise and keep the "noise floor" below the audible threshold....or at least keep it below the annoying threshold!

There is a simple way to address this, just put a 4 channel line output converter in line on the speaker wires, this allows you to lower the signal going to the amp, and the noise along with it. For this application it needs to be of the "wired" variety....not RCAs. The Pac Audio SOEM4 is the one I use but there are many out there. Once installed you can then lower the output of the head unit, and the noise along with it, using the adjustments on the LOC.

FYI, we did exactly this 4 years ago with the dynavin stuff, this is standard car audio stuff, its standard practice in an amplified system to install a line output converter to match up the head and amp. No need to reinvent the wheel here!

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-19-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #30
Dr3wX5

My Ride: X5 3.0i
Quote:
Simple issue, simple fix. The following applies to ALL aftermarket head units in E46s, the noise you are experiencing its typical of any install using the stock amp....most people dont notice or care, but if you do there are workarounds.

The E46 (and most BMWs) has an amp between the head unit and the speakers. Aftermarket head units have a higher level output than the stock head unit (more power) and the amps job is to take the incoming signal and amplify it. All audio equipment has some level of noise, its referred to as the "noise floor". The the amp does not know the difference between music and background noise, it amplifies ALL of it, you experience this amplified noise as "hiss". One of the goals in putting together a nice audio system is to minimize the noise and keep the "noise floor" below the audible threshold....or at least keep it below the annoying threshold!

There is a simple way to address this, just put a 4 channel line output converter in line on the speaker wires, this allows you to lower the signal going to the amp, and the noise along with it. For this application it needs to be of the "wired" variety....not RCAs. The Pac Audio SOEM4 is the one I use but there are many out there. Once installed you can then lower the output of the head unit, and the noise along with it, using the adjustments on the LOC.

FYI, we did exactly this 4 years ago with the dynavin stuff, this is standard car audio stuff, its standard practice in an amplified system to install a line output converter to match up the head and amp. No need to reinvent the wheel here!
So will this happen for all models or is the problem more amplified with the HK amp? I just want to know if I should get one of these converters or not prior to receiving my head unit. Would I also need an additional one for my sub and sub amp?

Thanks
Dr3wX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #31
J&T Distributing

HK is a non factor, some cars have more noise than others but its due to a bunch of random other factors, nothing to do with HK. Plus some peoples ears work better than others. I would not worry about it, odds are good it wont be an issue for you and if it is its pretty easy to add an LOC.

Quote:
even though I've left my phones hotspot on and have the unit set to stay on for two days, I still have to go to the wireless settings page before it will connect to the phones hotspot after I get in the car. I don't have to manually connect, but I have to bring the page up and them it automatically connects.

I still haven't gotten it to connect to my Bluetooth obd2 thingum but I suspect it is faulty.
for wifi, things can get tricky depending on the phone/hotspot/etc... you are using. I know that iphones for instance "time out" after awhile, the settings will still indicate the hotspot is on...but its not! Also android will go looking for wifi periodically, its not looking all the time, so I bet that if you waited a few minutes for it to connect it probably would. The easiest way to manually initiate a wifi connection is to put a wifi toggle widget on your home screen, so if it does not auto connect, or you dont want to wait for it to auto connect, press the widget to get it going.

For the torque obd2 thing, you need to turn it on (button on the device) AND you need to activate the connection in the bluetooth menu on the Avin unit under ODB2. Then run the torque app and you should be in business.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-19-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #32
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
I'm loving this thread. My vote for E46F thread of the year. Cannot wait for my unit to arrive. Sadly I've got to wait until Feb to install it though.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #33
ReactiveShooter

I will go ahead and say that the "static" is completely unnoticeable even when the engine is off unless you are somewhere very quiet such as the garage. For me it is a complete non-issue and I am a bit if an audiophile. I would not let the static issue effect your purchase decision.

Also, unless there is something I don't know about audio systems(I have built several), a line output converter would not effect this issue. A LOC could only lower the overall output of the head unit, which you can much more easily do buy turning the volume knob. The static is only noticeable at high volume levels, when you turn the volume below say 15 it is no longer detectable. adjusting the output down with a LOC would be just the same as turning the unit down. A LOC only becomes necessary when a source device has noticeable static/noise output even at low or no volume, such as an old, badly shielded source with internal static introduced after the amplification circuits. The static in the Avin unit is being introduced before the internal amplification, therefore a LOC will have no more effect than adjusting the volume of the head unit itself. If I'm making sense.

One thing I am dealing with is I am frequently getting a prompt saying pandora has crashed, even when it's not running. I believe this May be related to the fact that I haven't inserted an upgraded SD card to expand on the internal memory and maybe pandora is running into the memory wall when trying to buffer songs or something.

A question I have; is there anyway to do a hard or soft reboot besides changing the standby time to none and turning off the car? I haven't run into a "restart" button yet in my explorations. It would be handy to have a quicker way to restart.

Oh and I got my Bluetooth thingum to work. But torque says it doesn't have enough memory to save the dashboard I had set up so I definitely need to get a micro SD in there.

Last edit I swear: I also wanted to say thanks to tommy for including the E46 parts/write up/links database he included on the unit. I have been exploring it and it is very cool. Little touches like that make for a loyal customer base.

Last edited by ReactiveShooter; 12-21-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 AM   #34
ReactiveShooter

Quote:
HK is a non factor, some cars have more noise than others but its due to a bunch of random other factors, nothing to do with HK. Plus some peoples ears work better than others. I would not worry about it, odds are good it wont be an issue for you and if it is its pretty easy to add an LOC.

for wifi, things can get tricky depending on the phone/hotspot/etc... you are using. I know that iphones for instance "time out" after awhile, the settings will still indicate the hotspot is on...but its not! Also android will go looking for wifi periodically, its not looking all the time, so I bet that if you waited a few minutes for it to connect it probably would. The easiest way to manually initiate a wifi connection is to put a wifi toggle widget on your home screen, so if it does not auto connect, or you dont want to wait for it to auto connect, press the widget to get it going.

For the torque obd2 thing, you need to turn it on (button on the device) AND you need to activate the connection in the bluetooth menu on the Avin unit under ODB2. Then run the torque app and you should be in business.
Yes I experimented the other day and it was indeed my phone holding up the connection. Just wish cellphones worked as well as they are made out too eh.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #35
ReactiveShooter

Well I just bought a black dash and front carpet to swap out my grey interior stuff so I'll be taking the whole unit back out to do the dash. When it goes back in I'm going to try a different wifi/USB adapter and I'll try and run the other USB to the glovebox and see if my iphone will do anything trough that jack(I have a iphone 5 and the iPod cable is the older 30pin style).

The USB/wifi adapter that comes with the unit is one of the small nubs like you would use on a laptop and I think the antenna may be too small to work on the wifi from the house. I'll try a bigger memory stick sized USB adapter and see if I can get enough reception to connect in the driveway and let you guys know how it works.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #36
StereoInstaller1

My Ride: 4 door demo booth
Jeff, this looks hot, really liking the Android screen layout. IMO, looks better than any of the "big name" decks.

Last edited by StereoInstaller1; 12-21-2013 at 03:47 PM.
StereoInstaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #37
ReactiveShooter

I broke down and bought the 30$ Apple 30-8pin iphone 5 adapter. I can confirm it works great with the unit. I would not expect many if the cheap aftermarket adapters to work.

Is there a max memory card size for the unit? I ask because I picked up a 16gig SD card and when I insert it in the nav port and go to the memory menu it says "total space- unavailable" and "remaining space-unavailable". I'm thinking maybe 16 is too big?
Old 12-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #38
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
I know where my taxes are going...
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #39
tommy@avinusa.com

Quote:
I broke down and bought the 30$ Apple 30-8pin iphone 5 adapter. I can confirm it works great with the unit. I would not expect many if the cheap aftermarket adapters to work.

Is there a max memory card size for the unit? I ask because I picked up a 16gig SD card and when I insert it in the nav port and go to the memory menu it says "total space- unavailable" and "remaining space-unavailable". I'm thinking maybe 16 is too big?
It should work up to 64GB. I use our 32GB microsd card daily without issues. When checking total space in the settings menu you can scroll down further to check the microsd cards available space.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #40
tommy@avinusa.com

Quote:
I will go ahead and say that the "static" is completely unnoticeable even when the engine is off unless you are somewhere very quiet such as the garage. For me it is a complete non-issue and I am a bit if an audiophile. I would not let the static issue effect your purchase decision.

Also, unless there is something I don't know about audio systems(I have built several), a line output converter would not effect this issue. A LOC could only lower the overall output of the head unit, which you can much more easily do buy turning the volume knob. The static is only noticeable at high volume levels, when you turn the volume below say 15 it is no longer detectable. adjusting the output down with a LOC would be just the same as turning the unit down. A LOC only becomes necessary when a source device has noticeable static/noise output even at low or no volume, such as an old, badly shielded source with internal static introduced after the amplification circuits. The static in the Avin unit is being introduced before the internal amplification, therefore a LOC will have no more effect than adjusting the volume of the head unit itself. If I'm making sense.

One thing I am dealing with is I am frequently getting a prompt saying pandora has crashed, even when it's not running. I believe this May be related to the fact that I haven't inserted an upgraded SD card to expand on the internal memory and maybe pandora is running into the memory wall when trying to buffer songs or something.

A question I have; is there anyway to do a hard or soft reboot besides changing the standby time to none and turning off the car? I haven't run into a "restart" button yet in my explorations. It would be handy to have a quicker way to restart.

Oh and I got my Bluetooth thingum to work. But torque says it doesn't have enough memory to save the dashboard I had set up so I definitely need to get a micro SD in there.

Last edit I swear: I also wanted to say thanks to tommy for including the E46 parts/write up/links database he included on the unit. I have been exploring it and it is very cool. Little touches like that make for a loyal customer base.
Pandora likes to keep resources running in the background even if you never open the App. Pandora requires an always on internet connection similar to your phone so its always checking if there is a internet connection and your location as well. It only works in the US currently I believe. The app force closes for many reason those just mention are just a few of them.