E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #61
Dr3wX5

My Ride: X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions View Post
Don't put it directly under the sills, put it under the adjacent carpet, the carpet and pad is a lot more flexible and forgiving than plastic trim parts.
I'll give that a try and let you know tomorrow or Friday.
Dr3wX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #62
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr3wX5 View Post
I'll give that a try and let you know tomorrow or Friday.
Nothing Avin or BMW specific here.....you just open it up, find a good route (usually under the carpet, down in the corner). Some cars have a factory wiring channel that has some extra room, some dont. Basically run it the same was as RCAs, ipod cables, or any other non factory wiring would be run.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #63
Teraxx

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
What if you have a trunk-mounted OEM CD changer? Does this unit interface with it or?
Old 12-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #64
ReactiveShooter

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2001 740il
I have the six disc changer. There was an extra small plug under my big main plug on the old head unit, I am assuming this plug was for the changer and the avin unit had no cable for it. So I don't believe it is compatible with the stock changer.

Doesn't matter to me because I never use CDs.

I did want to add some info to the iPod playlist discussion from earlier. While the avin unit doesn't display playlists on the screen when navigating the iphone, the iphone still retains it's normal navigating ability so you can easliy select the playlist you want on the phone and then just use the unit to skip forward/backward. It's not like some head units which will lock out control of the music player so you can only use the head unit to navigate. I hate units that do that.

Should I send any improvement ideas directly to tommy? Or would you prefer them in a public venue so you can guage popularity of any improvement ideas? Such as having a clock on the toolbar or adjusting the low brightness lower?
ReactiveShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #65
J&T Distributing

probably email tommy directly....since its android, and things change fast in software, its best not to get too specific with your requests/advice/opinions as what we say today probably wont be the case in a month or two, but these posts are forever.....

email me or tommy if you want to add a clock to the status bar....its easily doable.

Teraxx, no aftermarket head unit is compatible with the stock cd changer. The idea of most head units now days is to get away from things like CD changers.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-26-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #66
ReactiveShooter

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2001 740il
Another question; no matter what I do in the steering wheel control setup page the controls never change. Are they set in stone? If so, what is the old voice comand button (the one with a person speaking) supposed to do?
ReactiveShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #67
Dr3wX5

My Ride: X5 3.0i
E53 Headunit Installed!

Quote:
Nothing Avin or BMW specific here.....you just open it up, find a good route (usually under the carpet, down in the corner). Some cars have a factory wiring channel that has some extra room, some dont. Basically run it the same was as RCAs, ipod cables, or any other non factory wiring would be run.
Jeff, your suggestion worked perfectly. The wires easily fit under the carpet and pad. I was able to get all the plastic trim secured this way. I did notice however that the pad under the carpet was wet! It was like a sponge. Didn't have a smell to it, but not sure what would cause this. Hopefully it is not a big deal.

I am happy to report that my install is finished! Tomorrow I will finally get to use the head unit and tinker with it. For now I have just been listening to radio. I have not experienced any static or noise interference so far. Audio quality is superior to OEM.

I went to AT&T to try to get a data plan for the 3G USB thing, but they kept telling me they needed an IMEI number or they would not be able to give me a plan. I will check with T-Mobile tomorrow.
Dr3wX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #68
tommy@avinusa.com
AKA: M3Evolution

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr3wX5 View Post
Jeff, your suggestion worked perfectly. The wires easily fit under the carpet and pad. I was able to get all the plastic trim secured this way. I did notice however that the pad under the carpet was wet! It was like a sponge. Didn't have a smell to it, but not sure what would cause this. Hopefully it is not a big deal.

I am happy to report that my install is finished! Tomorrow I will finally get to use the head unit and tinker with it. For now I have just been listening to radio. I have not experienced any static or noise interference so far. Audio quality is superior to OEM.

I went to AT&T to try to get a data plan for the 3G USB thing, but they kept telling me they needed an IMEI number or they would not be able to give me a plan. I will check with T-Mobile tomorrow.
To check for the 3G USB Modem IMEI you will need to plug the 3G modem into a computer and install the Mobile Partner software that is already saved in the 3G Modem. After installing the Mobile Partner software go to: Tools / Diagnostic the 3G Modem's IMEI number will be displayed there. You might need to have a sim card in the modem to be able to see the diagnostic page. You can use any SIM card to make the diagnostic section appear and not greyed out by the software.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3gmodem imei.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	540076  
tommy@avinusa.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #69
Teraxx

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Teraxx, no aftermarket head unit is compatible with the stock cd changer. The idea of most head units now days is to get away from things like CD changers.
Understood. But many of us still have a good collection (most all ripped to mp3 now, of course).

Some more questions:

You mention docking to an IPod via cable, but can it dock to an Android Samsung Galaxy S3 also or is the connector proprietary just to Apple? (Not all of us have IPods/IPhones).

Can the DVD drive in your unit read CDs too?
Old 12-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #70
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teraxx View Post

You mention docking to an IPod via cable, but can it dock to an Android Samsung Galaxy S3 also or is the connector proprietary just to Apple? (Not all of us have IPods/IPhones).

Can the DVD drive in your unit read CDs too?
Yes its a CD/DVD

I have not tried connecting an android phone via USB, I imagine it would depend on the phone....if you put the phone in hard drive mode I suppose the unit would see it as no different than a USB drive.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #71
Tenaciousduck

My Ride: 2004 330CI ZHP
I have a question regarding the sound: What type of DA converter does the unit use, and what bitrate? Does it have a floating-point DSP, networking, and what about pre-outs for amplifier attachment (and voltage rating at those)?

I'm sort of an audiophile and look for quality over quantity. I was initially looking into some high-end Pioneer single-din decks simply for their superior sound quality benefits (burr-brown 28bit DA, 3point digital network, etc), but saw the benefits of this unit. I realize it has to do with speakers and amplifiers as well, but I will be redoing all of that as well. I'm just wondering what the sound quality would be like on this unit as I would be running my FLAC audio files through it (which run @ approx. 35mb per song)

Thanks!
http://www.rx8club.com/itrader.php?u=67111
Tenaciousduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #72
nut

My Ride: 04 LSB M3 SMG
I'm yet to be an audiophile but can say this unit won't work for 'audiophile' setup.
I also ripped every songs into flac/ape/m4a. I'm in the middle of finding the best app for running those, maybe poweramp looks like a good bet.
However, I'd personally say it's enough sound quality for me but not great for everyone, especially audiophile-s.

•Koni Yellow + Eibach
•VMR VB3 19" + Ventus V12 EVO K110
•Brembo GT 355mm 6pods + 345mm 4pods
•Headlamp retrofit: S2k projector + 85122cm + eas AE
•///Avin Avant(+BU cam) + Alpine PDX F4 + BSW stage I, JL 600/1v3 + 10W7
•SCSL dual CF trunk
•E90 key retrofit w/ greater remote distance! + Start Engine button mod (for fun)

nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #73
Tenaciousduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
I'm yet to be an audiophile but can say this unit won't work for 'audiophile' setup.
I also ripped every songs into flac/ape/m4a. I'm in the middle of finding the best app for running those, maybe poweramp looks like a good bet.
However, I'd personally say it's enough sound quality for me but not great for everyone, especially audiophile-s.
Well ****... I was looking forward to having this deck. I actually use Poweramp and highly recommend it. Plays FLAC flawlessly and I actually use my phone with my Audio Technica ATH-M50's and the sound is spectacular. So honestly, I just want good crisp, clean sound. I think I can lay off my normal audiophile ways, as other decks I have been looking at are just single dins with no functionality as is gps, torque, etc.

Would you say the comparison is higher, comparable, or lower than that of decks you would purchase off the shelf in store?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:17 AM   #74
nut

I think it falls in between comparable and lower.
Enough for me tho.

•Koni Yellow + Eibach
•SCSL dual CF trunk
•E90 key retrofit w/ greater remote distance! + Start Engine button mod (for fun)

Old 12-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #75
Tenaciousduck

When I'm referring to OTS decks, I'm literally meaning the $100-300 decks you buy at Best Buy, etc.

I'm wanting something that will sound good. I have a Pioneer AVIC Z110BT in my RX8 and the quality from that is enough...curious to know how it would compare to that...hmm. Might have to dig deeper
Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #76
nut

Sorry but I haven't used units in that price range.
I'm kinda believer that fine tuning of fair level HU offers better quality than mid-pricey units(except for really high-end ones).
Yeah, I'd also dig deeper if I want better sound.

•Koni Yellow + Eibach
•SCSL dual CF trunk

Last edited by nut; 12-31-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #77
M_South_Afrikanna

My Ride: e46 325i
hey jeff just got the unit and its pretty great so far. One issue I have come across is im getting feed back through the audio. You cant hear it with the music going but when theres nothing playing its pretty audio able. Its not sounding like its the usual whine that you get from not being grounded properly since its not going up as the revs go up. its more of a constant sound, honestly its sounding more like the fan and computer itself on the avin. If you haven't experienced this then it might be something i did or from a wire making contact with something in the back of the unit in which case I was going to pull it out and see if i can remedy this. Just looking for some insight, otherwise the unit is great and i am loving it
M_South_Afrikanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #78
J&T Distributing

I think what you are describing was discussed at length on page 2, start reading at about post #29.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #79
M_South_Afrikanna

My Ride: e46 325i
Re: /// AVIN ANDROID Multimedia System INSTALLED! Tons of info and pics!!!

Cool

Sent from my SGH-M919 using BimmerApp mobile app
M_South_Afrikanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #80
Ironman273

My Ride: 2003 BMW 530i
Just installed my Avin unit in my E39. Sorry I'm crashing the E46 party but I was hoping I could get some help. I have everything connected and it's working great. The one part I'm missing is connecting the unit to the brackets. There are some tabs that from the rear I can see have the screwholes I need to affix it but I can't figure out how to get the tabs off! I don't want to break them.

See the picture for the location of the tabs I'm talking about. I don't think the E46 version has them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_e39_e53_avant_avinusa_com_0.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	540997  
Ironman273 is offline   Reply With Quote