E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
preeble

My Ride: F10 550, E46 M3
M3 Snow Beast!!

This is my first winter with my 04 vert and while I originally only planned on the M3 being a sunny-day car, it has now become my DD (a newer acquisition takes the 'sunny day only' designation).

In any case, I slapped a set of winter tires on cheap, but fairly attractive 17" wheels (from a large online tire site) and I now have a snow beast. Today was our first snow in the northeast and the car handled very well. I went with a set of non-aggressive tires and the are definitely a bit wobbly on dry pavement, but they were superb in the snow/slush.

So if any of you are thinking about taking the plunge, do it!!!
preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
chubakakid

My Ride: Hopeful ///M owner
Living in NYC this is very reassuring. Thanks Preeble, I'll pick up a set of snow tires for next winter when I get my ///M.
chubakakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
333Crazee

My Ride: Mystic Blue E46 M3
Re: M3 Snow Beast!!

Yeah, winter tires help a lot but no matter how good the tire you can't fix the ground clearance and weight of the car which is what pushed me into parking it for winters.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
333Crazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
preeble

I get the ground clearance concern, but what is the issue with the weight? The car is fairly well balanced for a front-engine, RWD car. Regard ground clearance, if there is that much snow on the ground, then few should be driving regardless. This is my commuting car and while we haven't had 'huge' snowstorms yet, there have been several snowy days where the roads have been slick and this car performed very well. It will get a test later on today and tomorrow as we are expecting another storm here in the NE.

Frankly, my biggest issue in driving this car in the snow is keeping it clean!
Auburn
Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
My non-M is good for about 90% of the weather. What does me in, are long or steepish hills when they haven't cleared all of it off. Invariably I'll hit a bump, causing the rear to lose grip. If I leave traction control on for it (I always have it on initially), it will pretty much kill progress if there's no grip to regain. Leading to turning back down the hill, and possibly attempting again with TC off and spinning my way up. On the level, though, it goes through mostly fine. I didn't even put the car back to stock height, and I've been good alllll the way until possibly tonight (getting quite a bit, and I work 2nd shift and the plows are notorious for giving up on the hills about an hour before I come through to try them). But at the same time, it can definitely be fun too, in the right surroundings
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
preeble

OK - so the NE was challenged with snow yesterday/today. We got 4-6 inches of snow. and the car still performed admirably. The streets were not plowed and I definitely felt snow against the front valence, but it pushed on. Here is a quick snapshot in the parking lot.

Auburn
Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by preeble View Post
I get the ground clearance concern, but what is the issue with the weight? The car is fairly well balanced for a front-engine, RWD car. Regard ground clearance, if there is that much snow on the ground, then few should be driving regardless. This is my commuting car and while we haven't had 'huge' snowstorms yet, there have been several snowy days where the roads have been slick and this car performed very well. It will get a test later on today and tomorrow as we are expecting another storm here in the NE.

Frankly, my biggest issue in driving this car in the snow is keeping it clean!
The people saying they park it for winter are just looking for excuses. The stock ride height and weight of the e46 M3 is not much different than any other e46, and the e46 is very capable in the winter.

I recently got to try out my M3 in the snow. Last year I didn't make it a block on summer tires, this year I was prepared with winter tires and made it up unplowed hills with ease.

Proper winter tires are key, and knowing your limits.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Bmwdad

My Ride: 2003 M3
M3 Snow Beast!!

Also my first winter in the M. Hate to do it, seeing it so dirty and the salt. Bought some nokians on a square set up. Doing great here in the Midwest. I don't push it or mess around. Just drive safe

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Bmwdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
api

My Ride: 03 M3 6-spd
I never had an issue with my M3 in the snow until I did suspension. My car was a blast in the snow and I did not have winter tires so I could only imagine how much better snow tires would have been when at stock height.

MODS: 03 M3, 6MT, PSS9, AFE Intake, Euro Ceramic Coated Headers, El Diablo Exhaust, Turner Motorsports Rear Adjustable Camber Arms, AKG Diff and Subframe bushings, PowerFlex suspension bushings, Sub-frame Reinforcement, 18'x9' square setup & one driver that grins ear to ear everytime he is driving it
api is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
M3_Ed

My Ride: 2002 M3
I drove my car on 19" gmax as-03 in the snow (ok all season tires), lowered a bit, put two bags of concrete mix in the trunk and it was just fine. Only lost traction when I wanted too haha, I was pleasantly surprised

VMR 710 19's||| Apex ARC8 17's|||
Painted Reflectors ||| Clear Corners |||

SGT SRS Coilovers ||| Powerflex RTABs |||

More coming soon!
M3_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:54 AM   #11
Fern2899

My Ride: 2003 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to Fern2899
M3 Snow Beast!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1388908427.202573.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	541307

Not going anywhere!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
Mr.Miller

My Ride: Bmw m3
i put snow tires on my 19 and they were fine when i drove it last month snow storm in buffalo but then again it snowed damn near everyday and i just put a car cover over it

Last edited by Mr.Miller; 01-05-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Mr.Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
VAdriver

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by preeble View Post
This is my first winter with my 04 vert and while I originally only planned on the M3 being a sunny-day car, it has now become my DD (a newer acquisition takes the 'sunny day only' designation).

In any case, I slapped a set of winter tires on cheap, but fairly attractive 17" wheels (from a large online tire site) and I now have a snow beast. Today was our first snow in the northeast and the car handled very well. I went with a set of non-aggressive tires and the are definitely a bit wobbly on dry pavement, but they were superb in the snow/slush.

So if any of you are thinking about taking the plunge, do it!!!
Which tires did you put on it?

We've had enough snow already this year that I'm thinking the winter will be pretty bad. My car is terrible in it right now.
VAdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
preeble

I put continental extreme winter contact @ 225/45/17 all around (with spacers on the rear). As I said in my original post, they are not very sporty, but they grip well in the snow/slush. They cost me ~$550 for the set, so extremely reasonable.
Auburn
Old 01-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
333Crazee

My Ride: Mystic Blue E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
The people saying they park it for winter are just looking for excuses. The stock ride height and weight of the e46 M3 is not much different than any other e46, and the e46 is very capable in the winter.

I recently got to try out my M3 in the snow. Last year I didn't make it a block on summer tires, this year I was prepared with winter tires and made it up unplowed hills with ease.

Proper winter tires are key, and knowing your limits.
Looking for excuses to what? Not drive the M3? That doesn't make any sense.

The M3 is fine in the winter with good snow tires but it would not be on my list of capable cars trucks and SUVs for winter, unless you live in warm weather states.

As far as the weight issue the car is too light and powerful for great traction on snow/ice. Ground clearance is also an issue during to the front under tray which I found lifted the car in deep snow AF levels my MDX and Suburban laugh at.

Guys, I am not slamming the M3. I love mine and if it's your DD then good for you. I was just posting my experience with the car.

I park it for winters because I can, not because I need excuses.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
333Crazee is offline   Reply With Quote