E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
imDerpz

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallSkinnyMatt View Post
I agree with this. I wouldn't run a staggered tire setup with an AWD model. I would recommend a nice square setup. A friend of mine is running 255's on style 44's all around with his sedan. Even though thats exaggerated, you could easily run 245's all around if you wanted!
Cool of you to post your opinion. I was actually just checking out your build thread earlier today. Good stuff man, especially loving your brushed aluminum trim. I'm in the process of Suede wrapping mine.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #22
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Hey imDerpz,

Your tires now have a diameter of about 25.1", so a good combo would be 18x8.5 wheels all around, a so-called square setup, and 225/40ZR-18 tires, like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Do this and your diameter will stay at 25.1" and your speedometer reading will be unaffected. I'm assuming you want to stay in the UHP all-season category.

Put that tire size into the search engine at the Tire Rack site, and it'll call up a lot of possibilities. For each tire, click on the "specs" tab and look at tire diameter for that size, just to make sure it's at or very close to 25.1"

Good luck!

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
imDerpz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-em-dougle-u View Post
Hey imDerpz,

Your tires now have a diameter of about 25.1", so a good combo would be 18x8.5 wheels all around, a so-called square setup, and 225/40ZR-18 tires, like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Do this and your diameter will stay at 25.1" and your speedometer reading will be unaffected. I'm assuming you want to stay in the UHP all-season category.

Put that tire size into the search engine at the Tire Rack site, and it'll call up a lot of possibilities. For each tire, click on the "specs" tab and look at tire diameter for that size, just to make sure it's at or very close to 25.1"

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your help. I'm new to e46 fanatics and its helpful people like yourself that made me want to join.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
imDerpz

Sorry one aditional question. What does the zr mean in 40zr?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #25
bee-em-dougle-u

Quote:
Originally Posted by imDerpz View Post
Thank you so much for your help. I'm new to e46 fanatics and its helpful people like yourself that made me want to join.
Thanks, I really appreciate that! The board is full of great info and helpful people, but also populated by a few mouth-breathing idiots as well. Luckily, they're easy to spot and avoid.

I had another thought about your wheel/tire setup. If it were my car, I'd live with a little speedometer error and go with a 245/35-18 tire and lower the car just a little. That size would look a little better on the 18x8.5 wheels. The 225/40-18s will be fine, though. Also, if you want sort of a staggered look with a square setup, you could always go with a small spacer (say, 5 mm) and longer wheel bolts on the rear wheels.

The ZR? The Z is the speed rating, and the R stands for radial construction. Zs are good to 150 mph; H is 130 mph, IIRC.

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting

Last edited by bee-em-dougle-u; 12-11-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #26
imDerpz

Wheel and Tire Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-em-dougle-u View Post
Thanks, I really appreciate that! The board is full of great info and helpful people, but also populated by a few mouth-breathing idiots as well. Luckily, they're easy to spot and avoid.

I had another thought about your wheel/tire setup. If it were my car, I'd live with a little speedometer error and go with a 245/35-18 tire and lower the car just a little. That size would look a little better on the 18x8.5 wheels. The 225/40-18s will be fine, though. Also, if you want sort of a staggered look with a square setup, you could always go with a small spacer (say, 5 mm) and longer wheel bolts on the rear wheels.

The ZR? The Z is the speed rating, and the R stands for radial construction. Zs are good to 150 mph; H is 130 mph, IIRC.
How much speedometer error are we talking like 2-3 mph or what?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #27
bee-em-dougle-u

Probably in that range. If the tire's a little smaller in diameter than stock and the speedometer actually reads a little high from the factory, you might end up getting a more accurate speed! (I think I have the logic right on that one!)

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting

Last edited by bee-em-dougle-u; 12-11-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #28
YYCZHP

My Ride: 2005 330ci zhp
Wheel and Tire Question

Quote:
How much speedometer error are we talking like 2-3 mph or what?

Honestly dude it's negligible. My dads Tacoma has 33's from the stock 27" tire size. At highways speed 110km/h or 70mph it's off by 8km/h or 5mph.

5% tint all around - Tinted Tail Lights - Muffler Delete -Asa Ar1 - CF CS Splitters - 6000k Predator Orion v2 Angel Eyes - 8500k DRL - Aux Input - Racing Dynamics CF Intake - Racing Dynamics Front & Rear Strut Brace - Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses - Cf Style BMW Harness Pads - Cf ACS Trunk Lip - Cf Engine Covers - Cf Roundels - Cf Hamann Fog Light Covers - Lower Spring Perches - ECS Tow Hook
YYCZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #29
YYCZHP

Wheel and Tire Question

If your seriously concerned though check out this thread

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...edometer-error

5% tint all around - Tinted Tail Lights - Muffler Delete -Asa Ar1 - CF CS Splitters - 6000k Predator Orion v2 Angel Eyes - 8500k DRL - Aux Input - Racing Dynamics CF Intake - Racing Dynamics Front & Rear Strut Brace - Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses - Cf Style BMW Harness Pads - Cf ACS Trunk Lip - Cf Engine Covers - Cf Roundels - Cf Hamann Fog Light Covers - Lower Spring Perches - ECS Tow Hook
Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #30
imDerpz

Wheel and Tire Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTosi View Post
Honestly dude it's negligible. My dads Tacoma has 33's from the stock 27" tire size. At highways speed 110km/h or 70mph it's off by 8km/h or 5mph.

Yeah I'm not too worried about 2 or
3 off because I'm pretty sure my car is
Already off by about that much. I had heard about the speedo corrector but I think their pretty expensive so we will see its worth it to buy.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #31
YYCZHP

Wheel and Tire Question

Quote:
Yeah I'm not too worried about 2 or
3 off because I'm pretty sure my car is
Already off by about that much. I had heard about the speedo corrector but I think their pretty expensive so we will see its worth it to buy.

It's $180

Old 12-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
bee-em-dougle-u

BTW, imDerpz, there's a thread on lowering the XI models on the XI forum right now. The car (and new wheels) will look a TON better if your drop it a little (and align it afterward). I'm not a fan of extreme lowering, as I like to retain the car's functionality.

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting

Last edited by bee-em-dougle-u; 12-12-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #33
dreiundzwanzig

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Thanks for that. Why would my rear tore pressure be higher then front though if they are all same size?

Yes they can be different, even if the tires are the same size.

BMW factory specs the rear tire pressure to be slightly higher than the front, as it reduces oversteer. (Mitigating oversteer and a preference towards understeer is preferred by some manufacturers as it can be considered easier to control by the average driver.)
Old 12-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #34
imDerpz

Wheel and Tire Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreiundzwanzig View Post
Yes they can be different, even if the tires are the same size.

BMW factory specs the rear tire pressure to be slightly higher than the front, as it reduces oversteer. (Mitigating oversteer and a preference towards understeer is preferred by some manufacturers as it can be considered easier to control by the average driver.)
I would think that increasing the tire pressure which decreases surface area would lead to more oversteer due to the less surface area

Tags
speedometer, tire, vb3, vmr, wheel