E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #81
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
Now I know this crypto **** is bullshit. I'm still making money so I'm not complaining.
Vinnie Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #82
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Bitcoin is here to stay, there's no denying that. If Doge can find its niche it'll be around for more casual transactions.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #83
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Yea i talked to my dad yesterday and he's heard of it too. I was surprised. He mainly watches tech podcasts on his Roku or listens to them on an ipod. Revision3, TwiT, etc.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #84
Drex

My Ride: Cosmic Waves
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I'm beginning to think this could actually go somewhere now. I was talking with my cousin earlier and mentioned I started mining a few weeks ago. He asked if I was mining Bitcoin and I said no, but similar, the two big ones are bitcoin and litecoin, I'm mining a smaller one. He says "Well there's a third, right? It starts with a D", and he knows absolutely nothing about the crypto market. All he reads are financial and investment sites so the fact that he not only has heard of it, but has read about it enough that it came to mind tells me that Doge is getting a lot of exposure. I'm really interested to see what happens in the next month after the block reward is halved and things stabilize a bit.
I work with guys that day trade on wall street and I know some have joked about Doge, but the fact is that they know about it, and some of the guys are already actively trading bitcoins.

The internet was a communications revolution spanning the globe. Perhaps these currencies may end up being their own kind of revolution.
Drex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #85
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex View Post
I work with guys that day trade on wall street and I know some have joked about Doge, but the fact is that they know about it, and some of the guys are already actively trading bitcoins.

The internet was a communications revolution spanning the globe. Perhaps these currencies may end up being their own kind of revolution.
Without a doubt. Decentralized currency is a very big thing, there's no denying it. And Doge has promise because of the super low transaction fees and ultra-quick transaction time.

flickher

Old 01-20-2014, 03:10 AM   #86
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Yeah I'm thinking about starting to accept bitcoin at my restaurant soon. Credit card fees are a b!tch.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #87
cowmoo32
drunken science

http://dogesled.dogecointousd.com/
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/...ecoins-to-send

This is going to be HUGE; Doge is about to be a household name.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 01-20-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #88
jeffro3000

Quote:

It's tempting me to mine doge and hold it to see if the value continues to go up. It's almost double what it was a couple days ago lol. Maybe that's what i'll do when I get my AMD card.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #89
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Old 01-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #90
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
so mining is a lot like cookie clicker and dr. meth, right?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #91
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:

So should I be buying up a sh!t load of dogecoin right now?

I don't have a card to mine nor do I want to really have the expense of the card or the energy to mine and it seems fairly cost effective to do this...
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #92
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
So should I be buying up a sh!t load of dogecoin right now?

I don't have a card to mine nor do I want to really have the expense of the card or the energy to mine and it seems fairly cost effective to do this...
If you do, for the love of god buy and hold. If the majority of people hold onto the the coin for at least the next month (long story short, no more mining for a quick buck after the 14th) then the value will stabilize. I'm worried that it's growing too fast, but it also got a TON of exposure today so the increase in value is reflecting that. More people are buying in and more are mining, so the value has gone up. As long as we don't see massive selloffs we'll be good and it could actually have some sustained value.

flickher

Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #93
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
Quote:
If you do, for the love of god buy and hold. If the majority of people hold onto the the coin for at least the next month (long story short, no more mining for a quick buck after the 14th) then the value will stabilize. I'm worried that it's growing too fast, but it also got a TON of exposure today so the increase in value is reflecting that. More people are buying in and more are mining, so the value has gone up. As long as we don't see massive selloffs we'll be good and it could actually have some sustained value.
I'm gonna be mining as of tonight. Do you think it will still be worth mining doge past the 14th or go to something else?
Vinnie Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #94
jeffro3000

Is the 14th when the block reward is halved?

I think it just doubled again

Last edited by jeffro3000; 01-20-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #95
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Is the 14th when the block reward is halved?

I think it just doubled again
Yeah, and it will keep people from pumping and dumping because it won't be worth their time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Vega View Post
I'm gonna be mining as of tonight. Do you think it will still be worth mining doge past the 14th or go to something else?
Only if you're in it for the long haul. If you want to get in to make a quick buck then you'll be wasting your time.

This explains the bubble we saw last night. China got their greedy little hands in the exchanges.

flickher

Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #96
SamDoe1

Quote:
So being new to this whole bitcoin/dogecoin/whatevercoin ordeal, where does one go to buy dogecoins? I figure I'll put in $20 and see what happens. That should be enough for several thousand dogecoins and if the value ends up going even half as high as bitcoin, I'll be happy.

Also, how long does it take to mine for these things? My computer isn't particularly powerful, would it even be worth my time to set up for it?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #97
jeffro3000

Quote:
So being new to this whole bitcoin/dogecoin/whatevercoin ordeal, where does one go to buy dogecoins? I figure I'll put in $20 and see what happens. That should be enough for several thousand dogecoins and if the value ends up going even half as high as bitcoin, I'll be happy.

Also, how long does it take to mine for these things? My computer isn't particularly powerful, would it even be worth my time to set up for it?
What video card do you have?

This will give you a ballpark estimate:
https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison

You could get $20 worth in 1 day right now with about 900 or 1000kh/s I think

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by jeffro3000; 01-21-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #98
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
If I knew this thing was actually gona take off I would of made an serious thread title lol

Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #99
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:

You'll have to buy BTC and exchange them for DOGE. Unfortunately there still isn't a DOGE/USD exhcange.
https://www.cryptsy.com/markets/view/132

And mining is a function of your GPU, CPU mining is pointless. You could probably use one of your work machines and get a decent hash rate though... You can look up the hash rates of various cards and www.coinwarz.com will tell you how many you can mine in a day with a given hash rate. I'm on an R9 280x averaging 750kh/s (for perspective, my i5 OC'd to 4.5Ghz gets ~70kh/s) and I'm getting ~8k/day now. Before it got popular I was mining 20k+/day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
If I knew this thing was actually gona take off I would of made an serious thread title lol

I'm glad you made it when you did. I would have never started mining otherwise.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 01-21-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #100
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
What video card do you have?

This will give you a ballpark estimate:
https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison

You could get $20 worth in 1 day right now with about 900 or 1000kh/s I think

I have no video card right now haha and not really looking to invest too heavily in this by buying one. All I have is a Core i5 cpu with integrated graphics. Hence why I just want to buy up $20 worth of stuff now and see if it blows up. I understand that I could make much more money off of mining or investing more, but I could lose a hell of a lot more off of it.