E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
217. re-transformation

So, over the last 2 years I transformed from a marathon running fitness machine of 5'10" 145lbs to a 175lb blob.

I got married, moved into a new house, fixed up and rented my other two houses, and have been busy as hell with work, but things have settled down and I need to make working out a priority.

Used to be only into running and some light lifting. I'd like to get a better balance going of running and lifting. I have a home gym in my basement. I'll post pics at some point and need advice on what other equipment I should have. Will probably add a pull up bar and dip stand.

Found this workout posted by dabears http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...g-workout.html and it seems like a good one. thoughts on this routine? what should my starting weight be for the lifting? i am weak as **** right now

Plan to run 3-4 times a week, but will prob increase that. I'm a morning runner, but will probably lift in the evenings. How long of a lifting session should I do? Any other thoughts? I need to have a good log to record my running and lifting. Thinking of getting a wall calendar to log runs and a white board to keep track of weights on exercises.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
We want fappable pics....

Oh and welcome. Let us (not so much me, but some others for sure!) guide you and give you that motivation to keep at it!

My .02, instead of the white board, just get a sturdy notebook to keep track. 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, etc it's nice to see progress, gains, weak areas, etc.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.

Last edited by MpoweredM; 12-16-2013 at 03:34 PM.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
I started with that routine, modified it a bit according to my needs (3 days a week instead of 6, incorporated abs and cardio into lifting days). I started at about 180lbs (5'8''). Works pretty good, but cardio is overrated (and might even have disadvantages) when on a cut IMO. Lift heavy, create the necessary deficit, and get at least 1.5g of protein per body weight.

Lifting heavy and no cardio will minimize muscle loss, and you'll be shredding fat mostly. I used to constantly increase the weights and got 315lbs deadlift at 155lbs body weight after I quit cardio. It may be necessary dropping down to sub 15% bf percentages, but if I was in your shoes, I'd focus on strength, and the rest will follow suit.

Don't get me wrong, I started with the cardio as well, but most gains I've seen so far has been lifting heavy while cutting. I am now close to 170, and even though my strength is improving, my rate of progress was better with no cardio while on a cut.

edit: +1 on fappable pics.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8

Last edited by SeanC; 12-16-2013 at 03:41 PM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
We want fappable pics....

Oh and welcome. Let us (not so much me, but some others for sure!) guide you and give you that motivation to keep at it!

My .02, instead of the white board, just get a sturdy notebook to keep track. 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, etc it's nice to see progress, gains, weak areas, etc.
thanks

the white board i wanted as just a quick reference to see the most recent numbers. i'll probably also have a notepad as a historical log.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I started with that routine, modified it a bit according to my needs (3 days a week instead of 6, incorporated abs and cardio into lifting days). I started at about 180lbs (5'8''). Works pretty good, but cardio is overrated (and might even have disadvantages) when on a cut IMO. Lift heavy, create the necessary deficit, and get at least 1.5g of protein per body weight.

Lifting heavy and no cardio will minimize muscle loss, and you'll be shredding fat mostly. I used to constantly increase the weights and got 315lbs deadlift at 155lbs body weight after I quit cardio. It may be necessary dropping down to sub 15% bf percentages, but if I was in your shoes, I'd focus on strength, and the rest will follow suit.

Don't get me wrong, I started with the cardio as well, but most gains I've seen so far has been lifting heavy while cutting. I am now close to 170, and even though my strength is improving, my rate of progress was better with no cardio while on a cut.

edit: +1 on fappable pics.
i'm not too worried about the weight loss. i know i can get into the 140's no problem. i'm looking to achieve a high fitness level, not bulk up by any means. I want to get back into competitive running, so i'll definitely be doing a lot of cardio. looking to have more of a boxer's body than a weight lifter's.

looks like that routine has abs and cardio on same day, 3x a week. is that enough abs? should i just do that on my running days? what exercises do you recommend to regularly include in an ab routine from their list?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
217Bimmer

i'll see about fappable pics tonight.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
i'm not too worried about the weight loss. i know i can get into the 140's no problem. i'm looking to achieve a high fitness level, not bulk up by any means. I want to get back into competitive running, so i'll definitely be doing a lot of cardio. looking to have more of a boxer's body than a weight lifter's.

looks like that routine has abs and cardio on same day, 3x a week. is that enough abs? should i just do that on my running days? what exercises do you recommend to regularly include in an ab routine from their list?
That's so skinny don't you think?

I think you're fine with this program but there's are other options. Have you thought about Starting Strength and running on off days?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
That's so skinny don't you think?

I think you're fine with this program but there's are other options. Have you thought about Starting Strength and running on off days?
yes, since i am just getting back into things my plan is to lift m, w, f and run on off days with sat or sun rest.

when i was running >50 miles a week i was down to 139-143lbs. don't think i'll get back up to that mileage, so i don't know where my weight will level out. people did say i looked too skinny at that weight, but i was healthy, just running a lot. less miles and lifting might be around 155 or so.

anything specific with that program i should think about changing? or just follow it for now and see how it goes?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
DylloS

Quote:
yes, since i am just getting back into things my plan is to lift m, w, f and run on off days with sat or sun rest.

when i was running >50 miles a week i was down to 139-143lbs. don't think i'll get back up to that mileage, so i don't know where my weight will level out. people did say i looked too skinny at that weight, but i was healthy, just running a lot. less miles and lifting might be around 155 or so.

anything specific with that program i should think about changing? or just follow it for now and see how it goes?
Follow it exactly how it says. I can go into details if you have questions. Just remember. Start wayyy under what you think you can lift. You want to get used to everything again and improve for a few weeks before things start getting heavy. I think I started with like 65lb squats. You add 15lbs each week so it goes quick. After 2 months or so I'd add chin ups, pull ups, dips, pull ups.

Power Cleans are awesome so I'd suggest learning them. Your gym may not allow dropped bars so maybe keep it light to start.

Let me know if you have any questions at all.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:

I think from what you're trying to achieve, 3x of ab work per week is plenty IMO. As dyllos said, follow it as it says, and if you can't train 6 days, you may condense cardio and ab into lifting days as I did.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
rover220

My Ride: Golf MK VI GT
Try to focus on more than just your abs though, you want to strengthen your whole core imho
rover220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
217Bimmer

workout went pretty well last night. i think i am going to need more dumbbells though. probably an adjustable pair of 5-50lb. also need a mat for abs/core stuff, and a preacher bar. the bowflex selecttech looks pretty sweet! any thoughts?

Quote:
Follow it exactly how it says. I can go into details if you have questions. Just remember. Start wayyy under what you think you can lift. You want to get used to everything again and improve for a few weeks before things start getting heavy. I think I started with like 65lb squats. You add 15lbs each week so it goes quick. After 2 months or so I'd add chin ups, pull ups, dips, pull ups.

Power Cleans are awesome so I'd suggest learning them. Your gym may not allow dropped bars so maybe keep it light to start.

Let me know if you have any questions at all.
why wait to add chin ups, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover220 View Post
Try to focus on more than just your abs though, you want to strengthen your whole core imho
agree. any recommendations for core exercises?

ok and here's a perhaps dumb question. take the routine below for example:

Exercise Sets Reps
Dumbbell Bench Press 4 8, 8, 6, 6
Incline Bench Press 4 8, 8, 6, 6
Cable Crossovers 4 8
Triceps
Exercise Sets Reps
Close Grip Bench Press 3 8
Lying Tricep Extension 3 8
Rope Pulldowns 3 8

what order do i do the sets and reps? how do i space out the rep sets? do i rotate? how long between reps? and sets? what do i do between reps? do i change the weight for each rep? or set?

Last edited by 217Bimmer; 12-17-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
DylloS

Quote:
workout went pretty well last night. i think i am going to need more dumbbells though. probably an adjustable pair of 5-50lb. also need a mat for abs/core stuff, and a preacher bar.

why wait to add chin ups, etc?

agree. any recommendations for core exercises?

ok and here's a perhaps dumb question. take the routine below for example:

Exercise Sets Reps
Dumbbell Bench Press 4 8, 8, 6, 6
Incline Bench Press 4 8, 8, 6, 6
Cable Crossovers 4 8
Triceps
Exercise Sets Reps
Close Grip Bench Press 3 8
Lying Tricep Extension 3 8
Rope Pulldowns 3 8

what order do i do the sets and reps? how do i space out the rep sets? do i rotate? how long between reps? and sets? what do i do between reps? do i change the weight for each rep? or set?
If you're going to do Starting Strength you get the basics down first then add the extra volume.

If you're doing the other workout you do each movement in its entirety.

bench 8 reps, rest about 45-1minute then 8 reps 6 reps 6 reps.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
217Bimmer

ok so i do bench 8, 8, 6, 6 and then move on to incline? or do i do the other 3 sets of bench before moving on to the next exercise?
Old 12-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
DylloS

Quote:
ok so i do bench 8, 8, 6, 6 and then move on to incline? or do i do the other 3 sets of bench before moving on to the next exercise?
you go down the list.

So if it's something like this

Flat bench
Incline
Cables

tri extensions
close grip bench

You'll do all the sets of flat, then all incline, then all cables, then move to tris..

I'm curious though. Why not starting strength. It's a quick workout and 3 times a week. Most body building style splits are 4-5 days.

Last edited by DylloS; 12-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #16
217Bimmer

Quote:
you go down the list.

So if it's something like this

Flat bench
Incline
Cables

tri extensions
close grip bench

You'll do all the sets of flat, then all incline, then all cables, then move to tris..

I'm curious though. Why not starting strength. It's a quick workout and 3 times a week. Most body building style splits are 4-5 days.
ok, got it. thanks!

can you post a link to that workout? i had just seen the one by dabears and i needed something to jump right in and get going. i'm open to anything.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Re: 217. re-transformation

I know that workouts good but I think you should do starting strength or stronglifts and nail down the compound lifts

Sent from my SGH-I337M using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
DylloS

Quote:
ok, got it. thanks!

can you post a link to that workout? i had just seen the one by dabears and i needed something to jump right in and get going. i'm open to anything.
Starting Strength is this

Week one you do A on Monday B on Wed A on Friday
Week two you do BAB week 3 ABA, 4 BAB and so on

A: 3x5 squats
3x5 Over Head Press
1x5 Deadlifts

B: 3x5 Squats
3x5 Bench Press
5x3 Power Cleans (many sub barbell rows and chin ups) For your goals that would be fine. You could do 3x5 reps of each of those.

That's it. Do this for a few weeks then add dips to day A.

You can Run on Tuesdays, and Thursdays and rest sat and sun or do some more runs. Eat lots of clean cals and you're good to go.

Just one thing. When it says 3x5 that means after your warm up sets. So for example on a squat you will do some air squats, do just the barbell, and gradually work up to your working set over the next few sets.

I do something like this
air squat, barbell, 135, 185, 205, workset 3x5 reps.

Any other questions just ask.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
217Bimmer

so no isolation exercises for now like curls or tri extensions, etc?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
DylloS

Quote:
so no isolation exercises for now like curls or tri extensions, etc?
Nope. Many people say you don't need it. I think it will help a bit but not need to center your workouts around it. If you want to do a bit then feel free. Just don't think you need 3 different exercises for each. One heavy set each should be good.

Last edited by DylloS; 12-17-2013 at 11:52 AM.