E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #41
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
lol exactly that pic was blocked at work. So I just saw the ridiculousness of it all. I don't know how people think this happens when they don't want it to. It's kind of insulting to guys like that.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
it was obviously an exaggeration to show the differences. i want a cut look, not a rounded weightlifter look. i know it takes huge amounts of calories to put on a lot of bulk. look at olympic weightlifters versus boxers. that is the difference that i want.

there is a reason there are different workout routines. they do different things. same thing with running. if you came to me and wanted to improve your marathon time, i wouldn't have you out on the track doing speed work regularly.

if some of that difference is diet, fine, but don't tell me i can just do the same workout as anyone else and the way you diet will be the difference between having a bulkier look and a trim cut look.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #42
SeanC

My Ride: 330i

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #43
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
it was obviously an exaggeration to show the differences. i want a cut look, not a rounded weightlifter look. i know it takes huge amounts of calories to put on a lot of bulk. look at olympic weightlifters versus boxers. that is the difference that i want.

there is a reason there are different workout routines. they do different things. same thing with running. if you came to me and wanted to improve your marathon time, i wouldn't have you out on the track doing speed work regularly.

if some of that difference is diet, fine, but don't tell me i can just do the same workout as anyone else and the way you diet will be the difference between having a bulkier look and a trim cut look.
That's exactly what I'm telling you. If you want to disagree that's your call. You know why there are 1000 different routines? Because everyone over complicates things with bro science and thinks their way is the right way. There are reasons why there is a resurgence of the basics. People are getting their heads out of there asses and going back to what works.

Building muscle is as simple as hitting them heavy and often. People go nuts comparing all these different routines when they really do the same damn thing. It's not as cut and dry as running routines. When the routines really matter is when you're in the running for Mr. Olympia and trying to dominate with the symmetry of a folded piece of paper.

You came here for advice, I gave you the best advice I can based on experience and what I read all day long and you don't want to agree. In terms of size change, I've made 0 progress in months on my plans and great progress other months. I don't need to tell you what I did different do I? Even when my diet wasn't conducive to my goals I still got stronger. That's what I want you to do along with your running. I'm trying to make this easy for you. There is no need to go nuts with a plan consisting of 30 different movements per week. My plan has 5 movements plus a few accessory lifts and it's 3x per week which you want. It's a plan geared towards getting stronger and if you want to get bigger on it you have to eat like you want to. It will not just happen.

I have pics from when I started, after about a year with a normal diet, then the following year +22 lbs with a diet where I ate a ton. The first progress pic would be something you would aim for. Getting stronger, leaner, and being able to run. You seem to have a great work ethic and I think we could get you there pretty easily given some time.

That seemed like a sales pitch lol.

Last edited by DylloS; 12-18-2013 at 09:23 AM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #44
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Noobs ask about workout routines and OG's ask about diet. 80% diet 20% lifting.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #45
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
It's so true. It's amazing what it does. I've been slacking on my eating too. I walked into work with one tupperware and was like sh1t. I better get it together.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #46
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Yep!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #47
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

haha i wasn't disagreeing, i was just bringing up some points for discussion. i'm game for a more simple routine. i was was just surprised and questioning that isolation exercises were not needed.

ok, so fvck it. what do you charge to set up a routine for me with a few month coaching?

below i linked the exercises to videos. are they good guides or even the right ones?

Week one you do A on Monday B on Wed A on Friday
Week two you do BAB week 3 ABA, 4 BAB and so on

A: 3x5 squats
3x5 Over Head Press
1x5 Deadlifts

B: 3x5 Squats
3x5 Bench Press
5x3 Power Cleans (many sub barbell rows and chin ups) For your goals that would be fine. You could do 3x5 reps of each of those.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #48
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
It's so true. It's amazing what it does. I've been slacking on my eating too. I walked into work with one tupperware and was like sh1t. I better get it together.
Unless someone has been around athletics or a gym rat, one would assume lifting routines are the key ingredient. Lots of people think lifting is all they need and diet doesn't matter. Hell, good diets can change someones life mentally and physically.

lol @ one tupperware. I know that feel. Yesterday I forgot my 900 cal shake which I drink 2 hours pwo, realized it while driving to work, threw my whole damn day off lol. Swore up a storm on the ride in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Yep!
Yeah buddy
Old 12-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #49
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Training is sexy. Diet is not. You can also FEEL training, diet is one of those things that takes time to see results.

This is why I feel the focus gets put on training. But heavy, compound lifts will only serve to make you stronger / look better regardless of your physique goals.

It took me a few years to grasp this concept, so it is understood why you'd be hesitant.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #50
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
I must say the most I've learned since being active within this sub forum is diet related, it's amazing what it can do regarding results.

I've just recently realized that my workouts are suffering because my diet wasn't right.

A year ago I was guilty of thinking I could eat whatever I wanted because I went to the gym, sure that works when you are 17-18 or a genetic freak but if you want to see results the first step should be getting your diet worked out.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #51
DylloS

Quote:
haha i wasn't disagreeing, i was just bringing up some points for discussion. i'm game for a more simple routine. i was was just surprised and questioning that isolation exercises were not needed.

ok, so fvck it. what do you charge to set up a routine for me with a few month coaching?

below i linked the exercises to videos. are they good guides or even the right ones?

Week one you do A on Monday B on Wed A on Friday
Week two you do BAB week 3 ABA, 4 BAB and so on

A: 3x5 squats
3x5 Over Head Press
1x5 Deadlifts

B: 3x5 Squats
3x5 Bench Press
5x3 Power Cleans (many sub barbell rows and chin ups) For your goals that would be fine. You could do 3x5 reps of each of those.

Why don't we do this. Since I'm recently certified and want to help you lets just do it for a few months and then maybe come up with some low fee at the end. If you're not happy then you don't pay me. Easy as that. I plan on doing $30 an hour for 1-1 in person training in addition to the CF classes when I'm all set up but this will be a much better deal. Ask me any questions, text me, email, whatever. Track everything, and take video so I can see how your form is.

I honestly hate that guys form on almost every lift

squats, he's not low enough, cleans he does a reverse curl, press he's sitting, deads he's squatting the weight up.

Here are some better videos. These guys make some super quick easy videos. If you have more specific questions when we start just ask.

Search barbell shrugged and the movement. I love these videos because they're so simple. Maybe I'll make some myself for my page. I think that may be helpful for people.

Ok but anyway here's the plan I think you should do.

Right off the bat. Start this monday.

Start very light. If you have any experience with these lifts let me know your capabilities.

Monday
A:
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Dips 3x10 reps. If you can do 10 reps add weight, Hold a dumbbell between your legs, a belt that the gym may have.

Wednesday
B:
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Barbell Row 3x5
Chin ups 3x10. If you can do 3x10 add weight.

Friday
repeat monday

Week2
B
A
B

All you do is alternate weeks. I'm not the greatest distance running coach so you may want to come up with a plan on that. Depending on your body, there is a chance your legs will be sore. You will squat anyway.

Eat this type of diet
Meat, eggs, veggies, fruit, nuts, good oils (olive oil and coconut), avocados, potatoes, brown rice. You can probably get away with some breads and pastas but don't go crazy on them.

Take some pics of the front and back including legs. Blank out your face if you want. Any other questions let me know. PM me I'll give you my phone number and email address. I'm usually really quick to respond and now is the best time to do this as I'm not over whelmed with anyone else doing online training and can give you my full attention.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #52
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
OP just got back in the gym
Worries about getting too bulky while aiming to get to 150lbs

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #53
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Why don't we do this. Since I'm recently certified and want to help you lets just do it for a few months and then maybe come up with some low fee at the end. If you're not happy then you don't pay me. Easy as that. I plan on doing $30 an hour for 1-1 in person training in addition to the CF classes when I'm all set up but this will be a much better deal. Ask me any questions, text me, email, whatever. Track everything, and take video so I can see how your form is.

I honestly hate that guys form on almost every lift

squats, he's not low enough, cleans he does a reverse curl, press he's sitting, deads he's squatting the weight up.

Here are some better videos. These guys make some super quick easy videos. If you have more specific questions when we start just ask.

Search barbell shrugged and the movement. I love these videos because they're so simple. Maybe I'll make some myself for my page. I think that may be helpful for people.

Ok but anyway here's the plan I think you should do.

Right off the bat. Start this monday.

Start very light. If you have any experience with these lifts let me know your capabilities.

Monday
A:
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Dips 3x10 reps. If you can do 10 reps add weight, Hold a dumbbell between your legs, a belt that the gym may have.

Wednesday
B:
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Barbell Row 3x5
Chin ups 3x10. If you can do 3x10 add weight.

Friday
repeat monday

Week2
B
A
B

All you do is alternate weeks. I'm not the greatest distance running coach so you may want to come up with a plan on that. Depending on your body, there is a chance your legs will be sore. You will squat anyway.

Eat this type of diet
Meat, eggs, veggies, fruit, nuts, good oils (olive oil and coconut), avocados, potatoes, brown rice. You can probably get away with some breads and pastas but don't go crazy on them.

Take some pics of the front and back including legs. Blank out your face if you want. Any other questions let me know. PM me I'll give you my phone number and email address. I'm usually really quick to respond and now is the best time to do this as I'm not over whelmed with anyone else doing online training and can give you my full attention.
alright, it's a deal!

i'll PM you. we'll figure something out on payment. i'm a huge proponent of start ups and helping people realize their own dreams of having something of their own.

so monday i'll start the routine. thanks for the additional videos. until then, what can i do to figure out the starting weight i should use for each exercise? assume i'm starting from the unknown since it's been so long since i've lifted. also, my gym is in my basement and right now i don't have a chin up bar or a dip station.

i'm fine as far as planning my own running routine. I would like a routine for the ab/core days though and can either do them on lifting days (preferred) or can do with running if that is recommended.

looking forward to getting my ass kicked! i eat pretty well, but will need to make some adjustments there too.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #54
DylloS

Quote:
alright, it's a deal!

i'll PM you. we'll figure something out on payment. i'm a huge proponent of start ups and helping people realize their own dreams of having something of their own.

so monday i'll start the routine. thanks for the additional videos. until then, what can i do to figure out the starting weight i should use for each exercise? assume i'm starting from the unknown since it's been so long since i've lifted. also, my gym is in my basement and right now i don't have a chin up bar or a dip station.

i'm fine as far as planning my own running routine. I would like a routine for the ab/core days though and can either do them on lifting days (preferred) or can do with running if that is recommended.

looking forward to getting my ass kicked! i eat pretty well, but will need to make some adjustments there too.
Awesome, man. Thank you.

I'm glad it's at your house. That makes things easier, and you don't have to worry about equipment being used. If you can send me some pics/list of everything you have.

To sub the chin ups you can do barbell curls and for the dips you can do seated dips. Basically get on the edge of your bench and just lower yourself. Just like this. You can always toss a plate on your legs to make them harder.

Chin up/pull up bars are super cheap too. they attach pretty easily on the door frame too.

Why don't you go through some moves this weekend if you can. Use just the barbell and let me know how it feels. If you can start a little youtube channel specific to this and take some videos. Depending on your skill level I'm confident I can get you going with good/safe form with just 1-2 videos and some tips. You can make the youtube links private if you want so only you and I can see them. I should probably invest in a better computer so I can skype with people too.

For abs I like good old fashioned sit ups, Toes to bar/knees to elbow (you'll need to get the pull up bar), and planks. Also mountain climbers. You can youtube some stuff if you're curious.

Last edited by DylloS; 12-18-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #55
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

here is my setup at the moment in my basement. pretty basic home gym and i have a few dumbbells too. is the barbell with clips attached 45lbs? anything i should think about adding? should i wear a weight belt?

now. let's move on to seeing how fat i am. please remove any children or those with weak stomachs from the room.

like i said, i went from ~145 to 175. now that we got that out of the way.

last night i just did some test lifting with different weight amounts for the different exercises to help figure out where i should start with the weight. first question, what should my stretching/warmup consist of before starting routine?

here are my results from the lift. don't at the amounts. my 100lb wife is stronger than me i did 5 reps of each at those weights and wrote how it felt. easy meant i could do a lot more. hard i could do many more, harder i could do a few more, and strained i couldn't do many if any more.

squat: 45 easy, 65 hard, 75 harder, 85 strained
press: 45 hard, 50 harder, 55 harder, 60 strained
dead: 60 easy, 75 hard, 90 harder, could prob do more
bench: 95 easy,
row: 45 easy, 50 hard, 55 harder, 60 strain

now granted, it was just 5 at each weight and i didn't move through doing the 4 sets. so thoughts on what weight i should use to start each exercise and how i should change the weight for each set? the dead lift is just 1x5, so how hard should that be? need to figure out the ab routine as well.

what else do we need to discuss, figure out? ready to get going on Mon!
Old 12-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #56
DylloS

Quote:
here is my setup at the moment in my basement. pretty basic home gym and i have a few dumbbells too. is the barbell with clips attached 45lbs? anything i should think about adding? should i wear a weight belt?

now. let's move on to seeing how fat i am. please remove any children or those with weak stomachs from the room.

like i said, i went from ~145 to 175. now that we got that out of the way.

last night i just did some test lifting with different weight amounts for the different exercises to help figure out where i should start with the weight. first question, what should my stretching/warmup consist of before starting routine?

here are my results from the lift. don't at the amounts. my 100lb wife is stronger than me i did 5 reps of each at those weights and wrote how it felt. easy meant i could do a lot more. hard i could do many more, harder i could do a few more, and strained i couldn't do many if any more.

squat: 45 easy, 65 hard, 75 harder, 85 strained
press: 45 hard, 50 harder, 55 harder, 60 strained
dead: 60 easy, 75 hard, 90 harder, could prob do more
bench: 95 easy,
row: 45 easy, 50 hard, 55 harder, 60 strain

now granted, it was just 5 at each weight and i didn't move through doing the 4 sets. so thoughts on what weight i should use to start each exercise and how i should change the weight for each set? the dead lift is just 1x5, so how hard should that be? need to figure out the ab routine as well.

what else do we need to discuss, figure out? ready to get going on Mon!
Ok lets see.

That setup is perfect for what I'll have you do. It hase everything you need. Most likely that bar is 45lbs but maybe 40. No big deal either way. It's good enough.

I usually have people do something like this for a warm up

20 burpees
20 air squats
20 push ups

then we go right into the workout and do Dynamic stretches which are the lifts with just less weight. You're starting at the bottom so just use the barbell to warm up. A few sets just to get the movements down.

Squat week 1 use just the barbell. i'm going to have you do 5x5, 5 reps and 5 sets for the first few weeks. Until things actually feel challenging.

So day one will look like this

Monday
Workout A
Squat 45lbs 5x5
Press 45lbs 5x5 (this is the same as squat on day one but remember that each week you'll be adding 15lbs to the squat. Press will be 10lbs per week and sometimes 5)
Row 45lbs
Barbell or dumbbell curls. Pick a weight you can do 3 sets of 10 reps
Seated Dips 3 high reps sets. If you can get 10-15 with no problem add a little weight on your lap
50 Sit ups
50 Mountain climbers (each leg. So both legs count as 1 rep)

Wednesday
Workout B
Squat 50lbs this day
Bench 65
Deadlift 55lbs 3x5 (1x5 when it gets heavy. This movement you increase 10lbs ever time)
Lat pull down machine you have. 5x5 at a weight that's light at first and increase each time you do it.

Friday
Workout A
Squat 55
Press 50
Row 50
seated dips just like day 1 Try to get more reps
3 max effort planks. Hold it as long as you can.

The next week you'll do BAB then ABA, BAB. I think you get that part.

Do your runs on the off days. Keep in mind some days the squats may affect the runs and the runs may affect the next day of squats.

This is the template. On Monday take some video for me of each movement. I want to make sure everything is good. Touch base as often as you want. Any questions are fine. I want to make sure you understand everything. Every so often I may throw a curve ball and switch things up for a day but I'll let you know.

You know what to eat. Make sure you get a good amount of protein in. Write or keep a food journal for me so we can go over it every few days.

Last edited by DylloS; 12-19-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #57
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
how do you only weigh 175? Are you 5'5?

Edit: Constructive time - you have NO muscle. Regardless of your goals you need to have your body in working order. You look like your diet is garbage, you lead a sedentary lifestyle, and haven't done anything athletic in years. Solly will help you out, just remember baby steps. I promise you won't turn into a bodybuilder guy. Also, that marathon dude you posted was more or less emaciated. Don't go for the extremes, go for healthy and practical.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 12-19-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #58
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
he said he is 5'10 and skinny fat, given his numbers. his body composition reminds me of what I looked like when I first started out, and had similar numbers.

that being said, he has lots of potential and I'm excited to see how this turns out
Old 12-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #59
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
he said he is 5'10 and skinny fat, given his numbers. his body composition reminds me of what I looked like when I first started out, and had similar numbers.

that being said, he has lots of potential and I'm excited to see how this turns out
Lots of potential. He's starting low so I think I can get him to definitely look better, be much leaner, and decently strong.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #60
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post

Edit: Constructive time - you have NO muscle. Regardless of your goals you need to have your body in working order. You look like your diet is garbage, you lead a sedentary lifestyle, and haven't done anything athletic in years. Solly will help you out, just remember baby steps. I promise you won't turn into a bodybuilder guy. Also, that marathon dude you posted was more or less emaciated. Don't go for the extremes, go for healthy and practical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post

well my scale sucks, so it might be 170. yes, skinny fat is a good definition. extra weight goes straight to the gut. right now i look about 4 months preggo. lol

when i was just running a lot i had some more definition, but didn't look a whole lot difference besides having a six pack instead of beer belly.