E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #61
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
how do you only weigh 175? Are you 5'5?

Edit: Constructive time - you have NO muscle. Regardless of your goals you need to have your body in working order. You look like your diet is garbage, you lead a sedentary lifestyle, and haven't done anything athletic in years. Solly will help you out, just remember baby steps. I promise you won't turn into a bodybuilder guy. Also, that marathon dude you posted was more or less emaciated. Don't go for the extremes, go for healthy and practical.
AoG
can you stop by my thread and leave me some feedback?
i'd appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #62
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
well my scale sucks, so it might be 170. yes, skinny fat is a good definition. extra weight goes straight to the gut. right now i look about 4 months preggo. lol

when i was just running a lot i had some more definition, but didn't look a whole lot difference besides having a six pack instead of beer belly.
Just remember it takes a long time to see results, especially on the belly fat region (being older sucks).

I'm 34 and have been seriously lifting for about 8 months now while keeping a good diet, while I have seen great results in the strength department, without added cardio I didn't lose too much belly fat. I've just started to do some high intensity cardio and the results are slowly starting to show.

Being that you will be running will help but don't get discouraged when you dint see results over night, listen to Solly he knows his ****.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #63
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Ok lets see.

That setup is perfect for what I'll have you do. It hase everything you need. Most likely that bar is 45lbs but maybe 40. No big deal either way. It's good enough.

I usually have people do something like this for a warm up

20 burpees
20 air squats
20 push ups

then we go right into the workout and do Dynamic stretches which are the lifts with just less weight. You're starting at the bottom so just use the barbell to warm up. A few sets just to get the movements down.

Squat week 1 use just the barbell. i'm going to have you do 5x5, 5 reps and 5 sets for the first few weeks. Until things actually feel challenging.

So day one will look like this

Monday
Workout A
Squat 45lbs 5x5
Press 45lbs 5x5 (this is the same as squat on day one but remember that each week you'll be adding 15lbs to the squat. Press will be 10lbs per week and sometimes 5)
Row 45lbs
Barbell or dumbbell curls. Pick a weight you can do 3 sets of 10 reps
Seated Dips 3 high reps sets. If you can get 10-15 with no problem add a little weight on your lap
50 Sit ups
50 Mountain climbers (each leg. So both legs count as 1 rep)

Wednesday
Workout B
Squat 50lbs this day
Bench 65
Deadlift 55lbs 3x5 (1x5 when it gets heavy. This movement you increase 10lbs ever time)
Lat pull down machine you have. 5x5 at a weight that's light at first and increase each time you do it.

Friday
Workout A
Squat 55
Press 50
Row 50
seated dips just like day 1 Try to get more reps
3 max effort planks. Hold it as long as you can.

The next week you'll do BAB then ABA, BAB. I think you get that part.

Do your runs on the off days. Keep in mind some days the squats may affect the runs and the runs may affect the next day of squats.

This is the template. On Monday take some video for me of each movement. I want to make sure everything is good. Touch base as often as you want. Any questions are fine. I want to make sure you understand everything. Every so often I may throw a curve ball and switch things up for a day but I'll let you know.

You know what to eat. Make sure you get a good amount of protein in. Write or keep a food journal for me so we can go over it every few days.
looks good. i'm going to put the workout into a word or excel document, so it is easy to print out and can be appended to. this will be easy for me to print out and will also kind of keep a record of what i have done all in one document.

it might be a good template for you to use for others as well, so i'll PM my e-mail so we can revise it and go back and forth with it. i'll update here as well, but that will be my official log book.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #64
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Just remember it takes a long time to see results, especially on the belly fat region (being older sucks).

I'm 34 and have been seriously lifting for about 8 months now while keeping a good diet, while I have seen great results in the strength department, without added cardio I didn't lose too much belly fat. I've just started to do some high intensity cardio and the results are slowly starting to show.

Being that you will be running will help but don't get discouraged when you dint see results over night, listen to Solly he knows his ****.
thanks, man. yeah, running allowed me to eat whatever in the hell i wanted. it goes on much faster and easier than it comes off. especially the older you get. 34 here also.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #65
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I wanted to post this here, to show my own personal experience and how I've overcome my thought process of "if I lift heavy weights I'm going to turn into a massive bodybuilder".

This is me when I first started, I'm severely lacking in the body hair department in comparison lol but I feel the body composition is similar. This is about 4 years ago.

I was benching the bar, or 25 lb dumbbells for around 6-8 reps max. I weighed 174 lbs at 6'0.

This is me today, at 178 lbs, same height.

Bench - 205 lbs x 4
Deadlift - 305 lbs x 1,1,1,1,1 with 15 secs rest in between
Squat - 205 lbs x 8 - Below Parallel
OHP - 120 lbs x 5

If you follow my progress thread you can see it has been less than ideal, but the point I'm trying to make here is that despite lifting heavy and often and eating lots of food, I've replaced fat with muscle over the years and gotten much, much stronger. Yet I don't look all that different when you factor the increase in strength to how much bigger I got, body composition wise.

Don't be afraid to lift heavy and eat to support it, you will only love the results it brings. Life just becomes better in general!

Last edited by dabears; 12-19-2013 at 02:37 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #66
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
thanks, man. yeah, running allowed me to eat whatever in the hell i wanted. it goes on much faster and easier than it comes off. especially the older you get. 34 here also.
Yeah used to run in high school, would eat 5000 calories a day and still have a six pack, I carried that thought process into adulthood (I can eat whatever I want because I work out) that's not how it works, diet is more important than running or lifting.

And by the way I've been going to the gym on and off my whole life, but just recently started taking it seriously.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #67
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
looking good dabears, but you started out light years ahead of 217 in the genetics department.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #68
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I wanted to post this here, to show my own personal experience and how I've overcome my thought process of "if I lift heavy weights I'm going to turn into a massive bodybuilder".

This is me when I first started, I'm severely lacking in the body hair department in comparison lol but I feel the body composition is similar. This is about 4 years ago.

I was benching the bar, or 25 lb dumbbells for around 6-8 reps max. I weighed 174 lbs at 6'0.

This is me today, at 178 lbs, same height.

Bench - 205 lbs x 4
Deadlift - 305 lbs x 1,1,1,1,1 with 15 secs rest in between
Squat - 205 lbs x 8 - Below Parallel
OHP - 120 lbs x 5

If you follow my progress thread you can see it has been less than ideal, but the point I'm trying to make here is that despite lifting heavy and often and eating lots of food, I've replaced fat with muscle over the years and gotten much, much stronger. Yet I don't look all that different when you factor the increase in strength to how much bigger I got, body composition wise.

Don't be afraid to lift heavy and eat to support it, you will only love the results it brings. Life just becomes better in general!
great job!

i understand that those pictures i posted are the extremes, but my dilemma was wondering if there was a big difference in doing low weight, high rep, isolated training as opposed to compound strength training with high weight and low rep. what i think i am hearing is that the main difference will be in caloric intake/diet and cardio as opposed to the type of weight training regimen. i don't think anyone in here is running even over 15 miles per week and a majority seem to be packing in the cals and eating more.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #69
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
You are correct, biggest difference is diet/cardio. Working out is working out, when it comes down to it (outside of marathon training and stuff like that).

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #70
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post

thank you

Quote:
looks good. i'm going to put the workout into a word or excel document, so it is easy to print out and can be appended to. this will be easy for me to print out and will also kind of keep a record of what i have done all in one document.

it might be a good template for you to use for others as well, so i'll PM my e-mail so we can revise it and go back and forth with it. i'll update here as well, but that will be my official log book.
Awesome. Looking forward to it. Now off to the company xmas party. i'm sitting here reading everything and everyone is yelling for me to leave. This is more fun.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #71
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
You need to create a deficit in your diet or you'll never lose weight regardless of what kind of training you do.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #72
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
217. re-transformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
You need to create a deficit in your diet or you'll never lose weight regardless of what kind of training you do.
Thank Sean lol

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #73
SeanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Thank Sean lol

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
You're welcome.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #74
217Bimmer

Quote:
same caloric intake with an increase in activity will = weight loss
Old 12-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #75
SeanC

Quote:
same caloric intake with an increase in activity will = weight loss
That'll work, too. As long as you know your current maintenance caloric intake. For starters, it's your weight * 12.

Last edited by SeanC; 12-19-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #76
217Bimmer

Quote:
That'll work, too. As long as you know your current maintenance caloric intake. For starters, it's your weight * 12.
with a starting activity level of 0 i should see some results

i need to take a look at my diet, but i think i eat pretty decent on average. probably cutting some carbs
Old 01-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #77
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Solly directed me here. What distance are you looking to run?

Sorry if it was posted and I missed it

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.

Last edited by coco savage; 01-03-2014 at 12:06 PM.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #78
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
Solly directed me here. What distance are you looking to run?

Sorry if it was posted and I missed it
i'm a slacker and need to update this thread. luckily i am lazier about updating the thread rather than working out. i've been keeping up with working out and will update.

as for running. i'm basically starting from ground zero. probably run 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes. goal is to run a springtime half marathon. like to build up to ~30mi a week maybe with 4-5 runs a week. i've run 8 marathons, but not sure i want to get back to that. they take a lot out of me and aren't usually as fun as the half and shorter.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #79
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
whatever you do, don't do what I did. Never ran in my life, did a couple 3-4k jogs and then did my 10K. I finished in 52 minutes which I thought was good considering a very hilly course / no experience, but I got plantar fasciatiis. I was also wearing minimus shoes because I didn't want to buy good ones. Lesson learned...
Old 01-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #80
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Re: 217. re-transformation

Quote:
i'm a slacker and need to update this thread. luckily i am lazier about updating the thread rather than working out. i've been keeping up with working out and will update.

as for running. i'm basically starting from ground zero. probably run 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes. goal is to run a springtime half marathon. like to build up to ~30mi a week maybe with 4-5 runs a week. i've run 8 marathons, but not sure i want to get back to that. they take a lot out of me and aren't usually as fun as the half and shorter.
Ah, so you've got an idea of what to run. Maybe find like xx# of weeks half marathon plan to get you to stay on track?

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote