E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
volcom772

My Ride: e36 325is+e92 M3
possible opg or rms leak

ok i cleaned up the underside and degreased everything. now this is the leak im left with. It really likes to drip when parked with engine down hill, I mean like a silver dollar puddle in about 20 minutes. also in the past few months I have replaced ofhg and vanos oil pipe. also had a major vacum leak from vcg because the po or po's mechanic forgot to put one of the nuts back on the cover so maybe now the system has the proper pressure it is forcing the oil out from the leak more?????? I was thinking ccv could be busted and leaking but it doesnt feel wet and also i looked at the dipstick oring and no leak there either. I suppose i could drop the tranny and know for sure where the leak is coming from but just wanted to see what everyone here thinks.

this is a 325xi touring manual with 215k on it so i guess it could be anything.

3rd pic this is the center where the transmission meets engine it comes from the Left side of the car and pools on one of the 2 oil pan screws on the rear. it is dry infront of this area the only other part that looks a little wet is further up on the oil pan but on the RHS which is slanted down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4148.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	539309   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4149.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	539310   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4150.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	539311  

Last edited by volcom772; 12-18-2013 at 11:15 PM.
volcom772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
sfcjetjr

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
possible opg or rms leak

Mine looked the same so did OFH seal and oil pan gasket. Thankfully was not rear main. But those too cleared up all oil leaks underneath at the exact same spots.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
sfcjetjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
JDUTHIE

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Pan gasket... Have fun
JDUTHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
volcom772

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUTHIE View Post
Pan gasket... Have fun
ya i think i would rather a rear main.

If i have to yank all this stuff im thinking of buying a lower mile m54b30 and doing a swap. anybody have experiance with that, i think i can just flash my dme with ncsexpert but im worries about smoging it after if the dme has a different vin number or somehting.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Tighten the pan bolts before you try and change out the gasket. Sometimes they loosen up and can just use a little tightening to snug them back up. Make sure you use a torque wrench when you do this and be careful to not strip anything out.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 12-20-2013 at 09:23 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
JDUTHIE

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Smog will be fine... The techs there arent that bright lol. It would be cheaper to just to the gasket, but the ammount of work thats involved, if you can afford the b30 then might aswell while your in there..
JDUTHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
volcom772

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Tighten the pan bolts before you try and change out the gasket. Sometimes they loosen up and can just use a little tightening to snug them back up. Make sure you use a torque wrench when you do this and be careful to not strip anything out.
got under the car with an in/lb torque wrench tightened the bolts up got to the last few and wouldnt you know it but one was already stripped by the PO or PO mechanic. luckily (i guess) its on the passenger side just rear of where the axel goes through the pan. so should i just timecert the hole and put a fresh bolt in? could i do this through the oil pan or should i remove everything re tap and replace?? this is kind of starting to turn into worst case scenario for me.

anybody out there ever tap one of these holes with the motor still in the car?? advice would be appreciated