E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW E36 Forum

General BMW E36 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E36 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Joeygee

My Ride: 2003 325xi e46
E36 2 jz ?

Hey guys hows it going i recently had the urge wanting sell my e46 and do a 2 jz swap in a e36 i was just wondering what everyones thoughts were about it

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Joeygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
kan2tan

My Ride: PecoPeco
IMO, idgaf what these people think when it comes to what I do with my car (mods, rice, etc). If i want my car to be pink with 22's that are pink as well to match my car and to make it look an m3 even though it's a slow pos, i would do it because I want it like that.

With that said, the only thing that matters (to me) is that I love this forum and the people's brains and their experience on fixing problems.

So... if you want to sell your car and get a 2jz e36 because you want it then do it.

Last edited by kan2tan; 12-17-2013 at 06:24 AM.
kan2tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
So you want to take out a twin-cam inline six just to put another one back in? Seems kinda pointless but whatever, your money.

Not sure what this kanban kid is going on about with his pink 22's though...
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
Serega91

My Ride: 00' 323i Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeygee View Post
Hey guys hows it going i recently had the urge wanting sell my e46 and do a 2 jz swap in a e36 i was just wondering what everyones thoughts were about it
I think there is some documentation on this swap but not much. If you have the experience and want a project, go for it. If your 325xi is your only car/your first car/your second car... dont bother. If you want a fast e36, get the e36 M3... It is quite an upgrade in terms of performance vs your current car. If you get bored with the stock power/torque, get a supercharger kit.

If I ever become rich, knowledgeable and manly enough I would like to attempt to do the opposite... Take a MKIV supra, toss the 2j out and swap in an S65/S85, a major PITA especially due to the electronics and maybe space. I would finish it off with an ///M badge on the trunklid of the MKIV.

Why would I would be willing to do this sh*t? Primarily because its different, and I would love to see the public reaction.

Last edited by Serega91; 12-17-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Serega91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
AudiEtr

My Ride: 330i
It will decimate all, with a little work and some overnight parts from Japan....
Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
kan2tan

My Ride: PecoPeco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
So you want to take out a twin-cam inline six just to put another one back in? Seems kinda pointless but whatever, your money.

Idk man. Been up all night trying to study but not really.

Just telling the OP do whatever he wants to so with his car.
kan2tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
but, but... Supra! Fast and Furious!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Are you going to put a picture of Paul Walker on the side?

Yes, it's been done.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
With these kinds of things...if you have to ask...
Old 12-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
theOCHO

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
I'd rather just scour the country for a Supra of that generation.

No leather/no cold weather package/no sports package
theOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Serega91

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOCHO View Post
I'd rather just scour the country for a Supra of that generation.
Those are expensive these days...over 40 grand for a good unmodified manual turbo MK4.

Plus it is not much car for the money... if your'e keeping it bone stock the e46 m3 we all know and love would outperform it, be more practical for everyday use, and probably be less of a PITA to keep it in decent condition (supra parts arent cheap, see member flightz71 on supraforums who owned both cars). All while costing two times less according to current market prices.

If you are modding it... chances are the resale value will plummet.

At the current price point its a good collector's car to enjoy, because it is a one-of-a-kind rare car, especially coming from Toyota with exotic looks and charisma.
Its also a good platform if you are into drag racing, but there are better platforms considering the MKIV's initial price point.
Its not that good of an all around car

So you buy the Supra only if you love the Supra, if you are drawn by its charisma ... to the point where you can justify the means of shelling out something on the order of the original MSRP for a car that is ~20 years old.

If you just want to get a neat cheap fast car with a 2jzgte it is better to buy an old lexus (eg IS/SC) and do the GTE swap

Last edited by Serega91; 12-17-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
JDUTHIE

My Ride: 2003 325xi
2jz swap mounts are only 200 dorra, easy swap, but like others said... if you have to ask then this is way above your head. (done the swap, so im speaking from experience)
JDUTHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
RossGuy
E46Fanatic

My Ride: FBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeygee View Post

RossGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Joeygee

My Ride: 2003 325xi e46
E36 2 jz ?

Never done a swap that and i really want to do one i dont understand all the negativity when all i was asking for was peoples thoughts and yes i know supra parts are not cheap i want something that is different from everybody else an im over my head because i dont much about this swap i thought these forums were to get information and help from other owners seems to me that everyone criticizes instead of giving knowledge so thanks fellow bmw owners you helped alot sike

Joeygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
nwzj24

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci
E36 2 jz ?

Supras are ricey af. If you put a 2jz engine in a bmw then you're a dousche.

nwzj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
Cavi Mike
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Did he really just say "sike?"

Oh man...
Old 12-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
Serega91

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwzj24 View Post
Supras are ricey af.
No.
I take it you have never seen a clean supra (of any generation).
The MKIV "homemade turbos" that go for 10-15 grand... yes they are about as much garbage as a 323ci with M3 scoops, badge, CF hood, hella-fail and nastydip.
Pristine MKIV's with factory gte's and turbos going for 50K, no.
It all depends on what the owner(s)/tuners did to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwzj24 View Post
If you put a 2jz engine in a bmw then you're a dousche.
And no. Depends on the execution of the swap.... which could end up to be poor in OP's case (due to lack of previous experience in doing such things). OP, provided you buy an E36, will it be your only car? And why do you want to do a 2JZ swap? Is it just for the sake of saying "2jz, no shit!" at random car meets? The M52BXX that comes standard in the E36 is good for moderate boost...while with high boost even Supra turbo owners recommend upgrading internals.

So I would say no... putting myself in OP's place I wouldnt do the swap.
I am not saying you (OP) shouldnt do it, maybe you are a much more mechanically inclined, talented, and motivated person than I am, and unlike me can get your ass off this forum and into the garage....
Because I cant judge a person over the internet based on a few posts, Im just giving my perspective.

I do however like the idea of getting an E36 M3. If you are looking for a "performance upgrade" to your automotive lifestyle, the E36 M3 is a great choice

Last edited by Serega91; 12-21-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
Cavi Mike
Banned User

MKIV Supras are for mad JDM tyte yo fanboys. The motor is the only thing good about that car.

Huge ghey wing that doesn't actually give downforce, the huge front overhang, it single-handedly invented the rice craze.

Last edited by Cavi Mike; 12-21-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
fiv216

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Quote:

The new one would have a turbo, depending on what model e36 probably about 100 more hp stock. Better aftermarket support & it'd be alot easier to make power out of. If OP has the money & wants it why not? The only problem with the 2JZ & engines like it (RB26DETT etc. ) is the JDM kids in combination with there rarity stateside has driven the price up to were you're paying for the name.
fiv216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #20
wanganstyle

My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
MKIV Supras are for mad JDM tyte yo fanboys. The motor is the only thing good about that car.

Huge ghey wing that doesn't actually give downforce, the huge front overhang, it single-handedly invented the rice craze.
there is much more BMW rice around here nowadays

Supra MK4 is great for WANGAN. When the playtime begins at 140mph; the 2J engine is basically a giant honda engine when tuned to make peak power; silly high RPM's are great for things like TX mile (was there 2009 there with a mad JDM TIZZITE Right hand drive single turbo MK4 supoopera)

The 2JZ engine is simple and easy to work on without setup tools; It's also a belt driven engine with very inexpensive consumable items; this is why broke drifters and those in 3rd world countries love it so much.

For the price of a vanos timing tool set and Self adjusting clutch tool of a e46 non-M you can purchase half the parts to rebuild a 2JZ from naked block; for third world / hack mechanics and drifters this is an easy answer.

A BMW NA6 + turbo can do similar but its costly to reconfigure the entire animal; E46 + 2jz swap is actually popular - arguably easier to install the 2J into a E46 than a E36; the engine bay has more space in the 46.

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote