E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #41
Gatriel
Gr Di'
 
Gatriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 437
My Ride: KL38444
I admit that I "riced" out my first car -- a 1995 G20.

I wanted the G20t so badly, with the sport seats, all black interior, the more aggressive suspension system, the spoiler. I remember how I scavenged car-part.com looking for just the right combination of parts. I spent close to $3,000 doing aesthetic modifications to the car without doing the "have to" stuff like motor mounts, transmission oil, spark plugs, an engine purge, etc., etc.,

After thousands of dollars invested in the car, the transmission threw a gear which started bouncing around inside the transmission casing, which then landed in the exact right spot -- seizing the transmission at 60 miles an hours. It locked the wheels for a second or two until the sheer inertia of the car snapped whatever linkage inside the transmission was locking them. However, in that couple seconds something happened inside the very reliable SR20DE and it threw a rod and that was it.

I came to a conclusion after that, with the money I spent on the car's mods, I could have sold it stock, and gotten the e36 I wanted so badly at the time.

Regrettably I didn't learn from my mistake, and later swapped a Lincoln MKZ interior into a Ford Fusion. When the transmission started failing, like an idiot I swapped that car for a prepaid lease. Thereafter I got an e60, which I just sold yesterday, which was a maintenance nightmare, and an e46 which was the most reliable little car I ever got my hands on.

All this to say -- having a 10 year old car that looks and drives like a brand new car is infinitely more impressive than a 10 year old car that looks like a 10 year old car + various spray-painted panels and other such nonsense. If you take the car to a BMW dealer "as is" they will more or less tell you to GTFO. If you show up with a car that is a decade old, and looks and drives like it just left their lot yesterday, not only will you have their respect, but you have a car that to all enthusiasts is "awesome" -- and not one that you have to acquire a taste for.

That being said -- I do like the way your car looks, even with the red wheels and accent parts. I would encourage you to start swapping out stuff you have to before spending any more money on "toys."

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-05-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #42
TheColdE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 140
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
I couldn't have said it any better than this.

People should have enough common sense to know that spray painting everything on their BMW isn't going to get them great comments on a BMW enthusiast forum. If you don't want to hear the replies, then don't put pictures up. To be honest there is nothing informative about threads like these and all they do is get people all in an uproar and arguing about what is right and what is wrong. I wonder if there are forums for people that take cars and "pimp them out" or whatever the hell you call it. That would be great for some of you guys. At this point most of the BMWs here aren't a BMW anymore anyway so there should be a place for car guys to go and show off their hacked up cars. No matter what the make of the car all would be welcome. That way the "true BMW enthusiasts" don't have to look at our beloved cars all chopped up, slammed down, pimped out, painted up, and stanced out.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
well if you dont like it then dont look it or ask a mod to delete it. I dont mind the criticism i get from other people, everyone has their own opinion, but youre an ass hole and you been an ass hole on my previous thread aswell, if you dont like it then dont look at it.
__________________

Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk Lid | Mtech II Front Bumper | K&N CAI | JL Audio 10" Sub | Smoked Led Tails | Eonon Head Unit | M Stitched Boots and Armrest | Led Angel Eyes | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 27% Tint All Around
TheColdE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #43
VishTheFish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winterpeg,Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 818
My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
if you go on the honda forums I bet they'll love this. I hope you aren't planning on trying to sell this.....
__________________

** Removed - Tim330i **
VishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #44
///Rome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island
Posts: 72
My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Did you really just call red rattle-can interior tasteful? Yeah, you definitely need to buy a Civic.
Lol oops. Didnt really watch all pics just kinda skimmed to see end result. Yea spray paint interior is :thumbdown: . The engine bay is a little much carbon fiber would be easier on the eyes. Red rims aren't too bad. Just for the purpose of standing out. @ OP, Cleaning up the headlights & mtech bumper lol you had said u vinyled the interior tho not spray painted it? Personally wouldn't do it but if u like it thats what counts, just hope u find a buyer who likes it aswell when ur ready to sell it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

02 325Cic (Daily driven W.I.P)
06 Z4 (FS)
08 530xi (FS)

Last edited by ///Rome; 02-05-2014 at 10:21 PM.
///Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #45
///Rome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island
Posts: 72
My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
I couldn't have said it any better than this.

People should have enough common sense to know that spray painting everything on their BMW isn't going to get them great comments on a BMW enthusiast forum. If you don't want to hear the replies, then don't put pictures up. To be honest there is nothing informative about threads like these and all they do is get people all in an uproar and arguing about what is right and what is wrong. I wonder if there are forums for people that take cars and "pimp them out" or whatever the hell you call it. That would be great for some of you guys. At this point most of the BMWs here aren't a BMW anymore anyway so there should be a place for car guys to go and show off their hacked up cars. No matter what the make of the car all would be welcome. That way the "true BMW enthusiasts" don't have to look at our beloved cars all chopped up, slammed down, pimped out, painted up, and stanced out.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Lol damn you must be old. Stance is not rice or "pimping" out your car. Stance is simply lowering a vehicle to remove or have as little wheel gap as possible and then line up the wheel so that they are flush with the fenders. When you camber thats when you rice lol. Keeping a car clean, not exactly OEM, most have simple lips or swapped bumper covers. Thats my generations view of tasteful mods. You're still stuck in the same year your e46 was made lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

02 325Cic (Daily driven W.I.P)
06 Z4 (FS)
08 530xi (FS)

Last edited by ///Rome; 02-05-2014 at 10:27 PM.
///Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #46
Gatriel
Gr Di'
 
Gatriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 437
My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Rome View Post
Lol damn you must be old. Stance is not rice or "pimping" out your car. Stance is simply lowering a vehicle to remove or have as little wheel gap as possible and then line up the wheel so that they are flush with the fenders. When u camber thats when u rice lol. Keeping a car clean, not exactly OEM, most have simple lips or swapped bumper covers. Thats my generations view of tasteful mods. You're still stuck in the same year your e46 was made lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
lol When u talk like a moron. lol U lose all credibility. lol
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #47
///Rome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island
Posts: 72
My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
lol When u talk like a moron. lol U lose all credibility. lol
Because i used "u" instead of "you"? Im replying from my phone lol ****. Want that spelled out aswell??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

02 325Cic (Daily driven W.I.P)
06 Z4 (FS)
08 530xi (FS)
///Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #48
mjpgolf1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cleveland Oh
Posts: 1,727
My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Rome View Post
Lol damn you must be old. Stance is not rice or "pimping" out your car. Stance is simply lowering a vehicle to remove or have as little wheel gap as possible and then line up the wheel so that they are flush with the fenders. When u camber thats when u rice lol. Keeping a car clean, not exactly OEM, most have simple lips or swapped bumper covers. Thats my generations view of tasteful mods. You're still stuck in the same year your e46 was made lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
I'm only 36 years old but I can't keep up with all you kids are doing to these cars, nor do I care to. I'm a purist and I have exquisite taste in fine automobiles. I'm all for improving a car if it needs it, however my idea of improving isn't severely altering a wonderful suspension setup to make the car "look cool". Nor is it taking a rattle can to a beautiful car. Of course there are different opinions on here so I wouldn't expect everyone to have the same taste as me, but in a few more years you guys will look back and say "man, I can't believe I used to do that to my cars". The E46 is special, you all may not know this yet but it is very special. I have some very expensive and exotic sports cars and right next to them sits an old E46. It is every bit as worthy as they are and gets driven over them on many occasions. So for someone like myself to watch these cars get ruined is just painful. Its like trying to protect a family member when they are in trouble, its hard not to jump in and say something to try and stop it.

OP I'm sorry if I offended you or made you think I'm an a hole. I will try and have been trying lately to bite my tongue more, sometimes its just hard. My apologies to you. In the end its your car and I have no say in what you do.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #49
Gatriel
Gr Di'
 
Gatriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 437
My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Rome View Post
Because i used "u" instead of "you"? Im replying from my phone lol ****. Want that spelled out aswell??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
lol ****. Yes, spell it out for me. lol ****
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #50
TheColdE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 140
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Rome View Post
Lol oops. Didnt really watch all pics just kinda skimmed to see end result. Yea spray paint interior is :thumbdown: . The engine bay is a little much carbon fiber would be easier on the eyes. Red rims aren't too bad. Just for the purpose of standing out. @ OP, Cleaning up the headlights & mtech bumper lol you had said u vinyled the interior tho not spray painted it? Personally wouldn't do it but if u like it thats what counts, just hope u find a buyer who likes it aswell when ur ready to sell it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
Ill be honest i dont like the engine bay i think im going to go back to stock there. it was just an idea and it didnt turn out too great. When did i say i had vinyled interior? And yeah the headlights are still pretty bad ive sanded them about three times, i think its time to get new ones but i hate to pay $140 for two pieces of plastic.
__________________

Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk Lid | Mtech II Front Bumper | K&N CAI | JL Audio 10" Sub | Smoked Led Tails | Eonon Head Unit | M Stitched Boots and Armrest | Led Angel Eyes | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 27% Tint All Around
TheColdE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #51
TheColdE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 140
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpersav View Post
if you go on the honda forums I bet they'll love this. I hope you aren't planning on trying to sell this.....
they liked it on bimmerfest so... i wasnt planning on coming back here but it just blew up tonight and i got a bunch of emails.
__________________

Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk Lid | Mtech II Front Bumper | K&N CAI | JL Audio 10" Sub | Smoked Led Tails | Eonon Head Unit | M Stitched Boots and Armrest | Led Angel Eyes | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 27% Tint All Around
TheColdE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #52
TheColdE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 140
My Ride: 2003 325i
Heres an update though,
I got a carbon fiber csl trunk lid from ecs tuning. and yes i put in the inner taillights and trim i just took this picture before that.
Before

After
__________________

Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk Lid | Mtech II Front Bumper | K&N CAI | JL Audio 10" Sub | Smoked Led Tails | Eonon Head Unit | M Stitched Boots and Armrest | Led Angel Eyes | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 27% Tint All Around
TheColdE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #53
///Rome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island
Posts: 72
My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColdE46 View Post
When did i say i had vinyled interior?
you said something about vinyl and fabric. Not sure though. The engine bay is plasti dip aswell? CSL trunk looks great btw

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

02 325Cic (Daily driven W.I.P)
06 Z4 (FS)
08 530xi (FS)

Last edited by ///Rome; 02-05-2014 at 11:05 PM.
///Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #54
TheColdE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 140
My Ride: 2003 325i
and for anyone wondering why i did the interior, i was going after this http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=454035
but i had used vinyl and fabric paint before and it was easier and cheaper than dying so i did it. Its been almost a year and its still perfect, you wouldn't even know it was sprayed.
__________________

Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk Lid | Mtech II Front Bumper | K&N CAI | JL Audio 10" Sub | Smoked Led Tails | Eonon Head Unit | M Stitched Boots and Armrest | Led Angel Eyes | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 27% Tint All Around
TheColdE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #55
TheColdE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 140
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Rome View Post
you said something about vinyl and fabric. Not sure though. The engine bay is plasti dip aswell? CSL trunk looks great btw

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
no its duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray haha. its pretty amazing stuff actually, i used it to redo my faded rear deck. and no the engine bay is permanent spray but its only three pieces that i could easily replace. and thanks!
__________________

Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk Lid | Mtech II Front Bumper | K&N CAI | JL Audio 10" Sub | Smoked Led Tails | Eonon Head Unit | M Stitched Boots and Armrest | Led Angel Eyes | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 27% Tint All Around

Last edited by TheColdE46; 02-05-2014 at 11:07 PM.
TheColdE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #56
///Rome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island
Posts: 72
My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColdE46 View Post
no its duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray haha. its pretty amazing stuff actually, i used it to redo my faded rear deck. and no the engine bay is permanent spray but its only three pieces that i could easily replace. and thanks!


Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
Was hoping to find out how well plasti dip holds up in the engine bay given all that heat it'll be exposed to.
__________________

02 325Cic (Daily driven W.I.P)
06 Z4 (FS)
08 530xi (FS)
///Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #57
TheColdE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 140
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Rome View Post
Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
Was hoping to find out how well plasti dip holds up in the engine bay given all that heat it'll be exposed to.
Well i was reading a thread on dipyourcar.com about how plastidip would hold up on brake calipers and people tried it and said it held up okay. So if it can withstand the heat of brakes i bet it would be fine in the engine bay.
__________________

Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk Lid | Mtech II Front Bumper | K&N CAI | JL Audio 10" Sub | Smoked Led Tails | Eonon Head Unit | M Stitched Boots and Armrest | Led Angel Eyes | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 27% Tint All Around
TheColdE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #58
HLG600
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NNJ
Posts: 1,722
My Ride: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColdE46 View Post
I dont mind the criticism i get from other people, everyone has their own opinion, but youre an ass hole and you been an ass hole on my previous thread aswell, if you dont like it then dont look at it.
I don't always agree with mjpgolf1, but he doesn't seem like an asshole. That's rather harsh and uncalled for, OP.

As for the car, I'm split on it. Some things look sharp, like the M Tech front and euro plate, but the wheels just look off to me. If the modding bug has bit, why not focus on upgrading your front seats and steering wheel? Those two alone will significantly improve your enjoyment of driving the car.

Last edited by HLG600; 02-05-2014 at 11:39 PM.
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:15 AM   #59
TheColdE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 140
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLG600 View Post
I don't always agree with mjpgolf1, but he doesn't seem like an asshole. That's rather harsh and uncalled for, OP.

As for the car, I'm split on it. Some things look sharp, like the M Tech front and euro plate, but the wheels just look off to me. If the modding bug has bit, why not focus on upgrading your front seats and steering wheel? Those two alone will significantly improve your enjoyment of driving the car.
Hes taken criticism too far many times and not just on this thread and it just got annoying. im sorry if that seemed harsh, maybe it was, but i was fed up with it. again im fine with criticism but his comments take it above criticism.

As for the wheels, im honestly not happy with either set. The ones you see in my sig i have on not because i necessarily want to but they have good tires for the snow and they dont look too bad. The red ones are probably going back to black or maybe gunmetal grey. Also im looking at the sport steering wheel, but im waiting for the right one to come along for the right price. Ive seen people getting them in good condition with an airbag for less than $100!
__________________

Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk Lid | Mtech II Front Bumper | K&N CAI | JL Audio 10" Sub | Smoked Led Tails | Eonon Head Unit | M Stitched Boots and Armrest | Led Angel Eyes | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 27% Tint All Around

Last edited by TheColdE46; 02-06-2014 at 12:18 AM.
TheColdE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:20 AM   #60
TheColdE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 140
My Ride: 2003 325i
And for anyone who thinks the car is too ricey, etc, check back in a few weeks, im going to change some stuff because ill admit some things sounded better in my head.
__________________

Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk Lid | Mtech II Front Bumper | K&N CAI | JL Audio 10" Sub | Smoked Led Tails | Eonon Head Unit | M Stitched Boots and Armrest | Led Angel Eyes | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 27% Tint All Around
TheColdE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use