E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
New members check-in, introduce yourselves, and post a picture of your BMW here!

Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
MANNYac

My Ride: 2003 325i
New guy Dallas TX

I was out of a BMW and now back in an e46. This time around I plan to do most of the work myself, so I am excited to have all this info at my fingertips.
MANNYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Harry330

My Ride: 330Ci
Harry330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
MANNYac

Harry, saw you just joined too!
Old 12-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
taveet330i

My Ride: Jet Black 2002 330i
Re: New guy Dallas TX

What model, year, specs, mantainance history, pics...
I'm from dallas too (plano). We have a page in the southwest subforum, weekly meets. And make sure you find our member mango, see his sig, and do it all.

Welcome to the forum

[bimmerapp]

Old 12-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
MANNYac

taveet - I just got this car and posted on the general thread this. Sorry for length, but its comforting to hear people that want to help and reach out. I'll read everything here to do it myself but good to know someone trustworthy here in dallas in case its too big for me.

"Hey guys, new here, I just had one of the worst car buying experiences with a very stupid guy.
I found 2003 325i Auto, 4D, 140K, for $4K. 9/10 interior 8/10 exterior on CL, clean title, carfax said it was in minor front collision but repaired. Did a pre-purchase inspection engine/tranny were great minus some maintenance stuff:

- Oil level sensor
- Valve cover and oil pan gasket
- Front Breaks
- P/S hoses to cooler and pump
- Expansion tank
- Temperature sensor

We do the deal and a week later he texts me telling me he forgot to sign the front. (My mistake, I didn't catch it) I jokingly tell him I will sign it for him (he was a jokester during the selling process), apparently didn't get the sarcasm. He got his lawyer involved. Long story short, he wanted $200 to sign the front of the title!!!

I drove down to the DMV this morning and told them what was going on. They said the front does NOT need to be signed, just the back that deals with the title transfer. When I told him I had transferred the title, he proceeded to disclose what was wrong with the car which he did not do before:

- Frame damage from the front collision
- Rubber bushings for the motor mounts
- Back popping noise when breaking - says he can feel it on break, but I do not. I am afraid it's the sub frame damage.

Me and a buddy were going to do all the maintenance that was found on the pre-purchase inspection, but just curious why none of the other stuff was caught. Or it might be he is just bitter he did not make those extra $200. It seems its extra stuff I need to do to the car.

I will do all the research on this forum for all this stuff, but I guess I just wanted somewhere to vent since I am still in shock this happened. "
Old 12-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
taveet330i

God damn that literally sucks. All the title needs is to be signed on the back. I wonder if you can take legal action against him, for misrepresentation

[bimmerapp]

Old 12-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
MANNYac

Thought about it. My co-worker's uncle is a lawyer that deals with these type of things but I honestly just wanted to be done with him. I drove the car hard today and felt none of the popping he's talking about so that's good news.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
taveet330i

I'd still get the subframe checked though

[bimmerapp]

Old 12-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
take it to www.ultimatebimmerservice.com in Carrollton and meet with the owner Brent. They only work on BMW and the prices are fair. When you get there you'll see what I mean, they are the best.

Rear diff bushing is common problem, let them do bushings as it is very difficult with out the proper special tools.

Motor mounts are not to bad there are only two but there are also two trans mounts that are a little harder to get to without a lift.

They don't do alignments but send them down the street to a bodyshop. That's the best place to go as they are better qualified to disgnose a frame problem.

good luck
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
MANNYac

I'm finally able to get back on here after the holidays. I created my garage. I hope I did it right, most of the work after the warranty expired was done at ultimate bimmer service. I might have them do the oil pan gasket and the mounts since I know they are major jobs.

Also the power steering hoses that were labeled as bad from the original pre-purchase inspection might not be bad, I found this on the power steering reservoir after I cleaned to see where it was leaking from. I am sure that is not per OEM spec and where all the mess is coming from. Seems to be some rubber patch and the ATF is brown.