E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #41
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
If my attempts to strengthen my grip don't work over the next few weeks I may go the strap route, I feel my DLs suffer because of grip strength. Once I get above 350 in working sets my lack of grip strength becomes a factor. Doesn't help that I have problematic left elbow/forearm, hopefully the COC will also help with that.

Anyone use elbow sleeves?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #42
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Sean, have you tried the chalk?
Ordered some today along with straps and a CoC #1. I am sure chalk with solve the issue with friction, but my main point with straps is to prevent tendonitis in my forearm and increase longevity. I also happen to believe that straps will help my overall strength by allowing me to lift heavier, that includes grip strength as well. So I view the situation as a win-win one.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #43
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Ordered some today along with straps and a CoC #1. I am sure chalk with solve the issue with friction, but my main point with straps is to prevent tendonitis in my forearm and increase longevity. I also happen to believe that straps will help my overall strength by allowing me to lift heavier, that includes grip strength as well. So I view the situation as a win-win one.
Good luck with the 1, the .5 is an eye opener, 10 with my right hand is easy, not so much with the left hand.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #44
SeanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Good luck with the 1, the .5 is an eye opener, 10 with my right hand is easy, not so much with the left hand.
I don't plan on touching it anytime soon. Still have a long way to go with the T. Just needed a third item to get the free shipping.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:31 AM   #45
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
I don't agree with this at all. Yea we should all make sure our grip is great but if you can train almost your entire body with a lift and the one thing stopping that is your grip, I say use the straps. Just make sure you're doing everything I'm your power to get that grip strength up while using the straps. Regularly check your grip to see if improvements are happening.

Your body doesn't know it's unbalanced which I don't even think this is a good example of being unbalanced. It's not like he's pressing and the right arm is throwing the weight up faster than the left. Think of this. You really need to train for a run and you don't have shoes and the black top is too hot to run on. Do you say ehh I'll train my feet to deal with it or do you go out and get some shoes now?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Well yes, your body will always notice when it's unbalanced. But why not teach it right the first time? Yeah you can pull another 60lbs with straps, but what does that do when you want to stray away from them? Probably more likely to end up hurt pulling weight when you can't.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:35 AM   #46
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
I'm not a doctor but I don't see how straps would help with forearm tendonitis. Straps will probably aggravate it more. It pulls almost right on them.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:23 AM   #47
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
I don't agree with this at all. Yea we should all make sure our grip is great but if you can train almost your entire body with a lift and the one thing stopping that is your grip, I say use the straps. Just make sure you're doing everything I'm your power to get that grip strength up while using the straps. Regularly check your grip to see if improvements are happening.

Your body doesn't know it's unbalanced which I don't even think this is a good example of being unbalanced. It's not like he's pressing and the right arm is throwing the weight up faster than the left. Think of this. You really need to train for a run and you don't have shoes and the black top is too hot to run on. Do you say ehh I'll train my feet to deal with it or do you go out and get some shoes now?

Either i worded that badly or you misunderstood my point. Let me try again.

The body should maintain a proper balance throughout as you continue to train and get stronger. The issue you're having with not super heavy weight being so hard to hold is an imbalance in the development of the muscles throughout the body. The back and supporting muscles are strong (good job ) but the forearm and grip strength have been neglected and are weak. Rather than putting a band-aid on the problem (ie wrist straps) more attention should be put into solving the problem (strengthening the forearms, wrists and grip strength) which will bring the body into a proper balance.

If your core is too weak to uphold the weight you can squat, you don't get an abdominal sleeve to temporarily fix that issue, you train your core and stabilizing muscles until your body is balanced and at a point of, what i would call "muscular self sufficiency".

This is no different than a strong upper body and weak legs. Or big arms and an underdeveloped chest . Make sense?

As to the tendonitis and elbow issue, i used to struggle with the same thing until i started training forearms regularly. After about a month or 2 the issues receded, my grip became stronger and things balanced better.
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:53 AM   #48
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
I understand what you mean but like I said, if the one thing holding him back from really killing his deadlifts are grip, he is fine to use straps. If it takes a month for his grip to "catch up" that's one month lost on heavy deadlifts. There are very few examples where this would make sense other than this particular situation.

Last edited by DylloS; 01-09-2014 at 04:55 AM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #49
SeanC

There are so many things I could say why and in which ways straps can help, but I am not here to convince you all. Everybody has their own ideas. I like you guy's idealist attitude though. Keep it up!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #50
DylloS

Quote:
There are so many things I could say why and in which ways straps can help, but I am not here to convince you all. Everybody has their own ideas. I like you guy's idealist attitude though. Keep it up!
I think in this case you're right.

You have a chance to crush your entire back, shoulders, glutes, hams, quads and the one thing making that happen is a strap. Go for it.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #51
SeanC

Quote:

You have a chance to crush your entire back, shoulders, glutes, hams, quads and the one thing making that happen is a strap. Go for it.
Thanks man, appreciate it.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #52
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Well yes, your body will always notice when it's unbalanced. But why not teach it right the first time? Yeah you can pull another 60lbs with straps, but what does that do when you want to stray away from them? Probably more likely to end up hurt pulling weight when you can't.

I don't know. I'm not at the point where grip is an issue and I don't think I'll use them for some of the reasons you mentioned but I can see why some would.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #53
bgsmith

Quote:

This is how I feel, but I've never really addressed my grip, if after a few weeks with the COC I'm still having grip issues I may revisit the idea of straps.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #54
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Straps have their place, to a certain degree... Having said that, grip strength and training should always be made a priority imo.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #55
Sensi09

My Ride: __
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
If my attempts to strengthen my grip don't work over the next few weeks I may go the strap route, I feel my DLs suffer because of grip strength. Once I get above 350 in working sets my lack of grip strength becomes a factor. Doesn't help that I have problematic left elbow/forearm, hopefully the COC will also help with that.

Anyone use elbow sleeves?
Heavy dumbbell rows have helped with my grip. Read an article that suggested it and it actually worked.

Might do 2-3 sets of a heavier weight where I might have to cheat a bit, but then move down for stricter form for a few more sets.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_.../kroc_rows_101

Oh and try regular double overhand until you get to your working sets.

Last edited by Sensi09; 01-09-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #56
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
Heavy dumbbell rows have helped with my grip. Read an article that suggested it and it actually worked.

Might do 2-3 sets of a heavier weight where I might have to cheat a bit, but then move down for stricter form for a few more sets.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_.../kroc_rows_101

Oh and try regular double overhand until you get to your working sets.
I just started adding DB rows into my workouts, and I use overhand grip on all DLs under 315.

I'm sure I'll see improvements as I am finally addressing the problem.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #57
DylloS

What's your guys options on mixed gripped heavy shrugs. Did the the other day since grip was an issue. Mixed felt great. I thought it would favor one side but it didn't seem to and I just kept swapping which hand was underhand each set.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #58
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
What's your guys options on mixed gripped heavy shrugs. Did the the other day since grip was an issue. Mixed felt great. I thought it would favor one side but it didn't seem to and I just kept swapping which hand was underhand each set.

I used mixed grip on heavy shrugs forever. I loved it but my problem was that I use the same mixed hand grip every single time and I believe my left trap became more developed than my right side after so long (5-6 months) of it. So recently since basic I've stopped doing that and trying to level back out.

Edit: Just purchased a 4.6lb tub of ON's Pro Complex. My favorite protein and have 40$ left on a gift card. What next?

Last edited by bostonsc4; 01-09-2014 at 09:24 PM.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #59
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
I used mixed grip on heavy shrugs forever. I loved it but my problem was that I use the same mixed hand grip every single time and I believe my left trap became more developed than my right side after so long (5-6 months) of it. So recently since basic I've stopped doing that and trying to level back out.

Edit: Just purchased a 4.6lb tub of ON's Pro Complex. My favorite protein and have 40$ left on a gift card. What next?
Is it a supplement gift card or something you can spend anywhere?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #60
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:

As long as you alternate your grip it shouldn't be an issue. That's the way i did it when i started focusing on trap development. I'm really not a big fan of bb shrugs anymore though. I don't feel i can position the weight properly to really hit the muscle like i can other ways.
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote