E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #41
Davew
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
Aj strongly suggests against it...I know they are conservative, BUT WITH REALLY GOOD REASON...they seem to have a really good idea of what the engines can take before bad things happen
Was a question more so of curiosity, i don't think I would be game without a forged bottom end.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #42
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
IF you were looking to build an engine and didn't care about the engine currently in the car...(old, worn out, whatever)..then try the smaller pulley on the old engine and see what happens
Old 12-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #43
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post
ESS do a USB- obd adapter now, they sent it with the kit, I emailed them a copy of my dme software, and they sent a new modified file back, 16 minutes later, the car was running like a dream.
Hi, did you have the email and name of who you send you DME OEM map? I asking this because they told me that I need to send the DME... but if I can send only my DME OEM map, would be great!!!!!

regards,

jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #44
Davew
OEM ///Member

330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
IF you were looking to build an engine and didn't care about the engine currently in the car...(old, worn out, whatever)..then try the smaller pulley on the old engine and see what happens
I think it would end in me walking to work till I could raise the money for a new bottom end lol

I have 150,000 on the clock, but an interesting thought, maybe in the last weeks before I rebuild it I might machine a few different pulleys and test them. My biggest problem is going to be a custom tune with different pulleys.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #45
Davew
OEM ///Member

330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
Hi, did you have the email and name of who you send you DME OEM map? I asking this because they told me that I need to send the DME... but if I can send only my DME OEM map, would be great!!!!!

regards,

Did your kit have the cable?

Old 12-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #46
Davew
OEM ///Member

330ci ess ts2+

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1388377312.375378.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	540491

This is the cable, picture from ess website.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #47
jdjg

330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
Did your kit have the cable?

dont have the kit , I need to wait I think two more weeks....
but I asking Roman (ess tuning) for that cable and he told me, for the SC map, I need to send my DME... I do nit get it, if they have the USB cable, why I need to send my DME????, they only gonna upload the map, why I cant upload this map in my home using tat cable????

Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #48
Davew
OEM ///Member

330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
dont have the kit , I need to wait I think two more weeks....
but I asking Roman (ess tuning) for that cable and he told me, for the SC map, I need to send my DME... I do nit get it, if they have the USB cable, why I need to send my DME????, they only gonna upload the map, why I cant upload this map in my home using tat cable????

May be because of the dme? Mines ms43, would have been a real long wait for mine if I didn't have the cable, Australia to Norway and back.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #49
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:

My thoughts of getting the quaife are only because there are no clutches to fry with such low gearing, obviously you have overcome this by adding additional clutches, though I am still thinking for road use only, I may be better off with the quaife. Thoughts?

I run the Quaife in a 3.15 diff, I can't speak highly enough about this combo for street use. Simply stated the Quaife is great as a DD street driven Bimmer. Tracking is a different story.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #50
jdjg

330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
May be because of the dme? Mines ms43, would have been a real long wait for mine if I didn't have the cable, Australia to Norway and back.

well I also have the MS43.....
so can you told me the name of the guy who you talk in ESS?

regards

Old 12-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #51
Davew
OEM ///Member

330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
well I also have the MS43.....
so can you told me the name of the guy who you talk in ESS?

regards

Asbjorn is who I dealt with regarding my ESS TS, I think you will find there is a good reason they want your dme, also the cable is an additional cost/ option on the kit. If this wasn't my daily driver, I would have sent them my dme, I did my build over a 3 day weekend and drove the car to work on the 4th day. Time was critical. I think I read a post where with the cable flash their can be cold start issues, whereas if it is flashed by them, this doesn't occur, but I may be wrong/ misread, it was some time ago that I read a random post.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #52
Davew
OEM ///Member

330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I run the Quaife in a 3.15 diff, I can't speak highly enough about this combo for street use. Simply stated the Quaife is great as a DD street driven Bimmer. Tracking is a different story.
Thanks for your reply Rob43,

Can I ask where it fails on the track, heat? I am trying to learn all I can from your combined experience

Also, the link to the uuc clutch in my previous post, is that the one that you use?

Last edited by Davew; 12-29-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #53
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Great thread.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !

Last edited by SK330ci; 12-29-2013 at 11:56 PM.
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #54
Davew
OEM ///Member

330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post
Great thread.
Glad you are enjoying it!

Great that these guys are sharing their knowledge with those (me in particular, lol) that are not as versed with the performance aspects of e46's

Old 12-30-2013, 01:02 AM   #55
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Thanks for your reply Rob43,

Can I ask where it fails on the track, heat? I am trying to learn all I can from your combined experience If you're tracking occasionally, it works "pretty" good. What happens on the track is this: As you become a better driver you'll be able to push your Bimmer harder & thus your lap times will get better, this is where the Quaife will show its weakness. It NEEDS both wheels on the pavement at all times, but on the track your inner rear wheel will lift just enough that it becomes light enough for the motor to spin that "lifted rear inner tire". So when your coming through a tighter turn & you get on the power, this wheel spin equals No actual forward movement. For that tenth or two tenths of a second you feel like you're standing still. That's why most serious racers run a "built" clutch style diff. On the street you'll NEVER run into this situation, the Quaife is what I call "set & forget", meaning that once installed it works like the stock diff requiring little to no maintenance. So for me it works incredibly well on the street.

Also, the link to the uuc clutch in my previous post, is that the one that you use? No, it's a twin disc "Organic" (Link below). The pedal feel IS about 50% firmer than stock, and it takes a little practice to get your clutch release modulation just right. But it will hold ANYTHING you can throw at it power wise.

I forgot to mention that unlike most LSD's, the Quaife is dead silent while DD it, so it won't bother you from a noise prospective.

UUC, "Twin Disk Flywheel/Clutch package for E46 3-series 5-speed models
Street-friendly clutch performance for extreme-power BMWs"
Twin Organic: 850hp, 640ft-lb applications.
Model, UUC-TD-B1-E46-5-PO
http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/twin-...els-p1275.aspx

Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #56
Davew
OEM ///Member

330ci ess ts2+

Thanks for that Rob43,
I had no idea the quaife did that. Excellent to know. I can't see myself ever tracking the car, so as you said, for street reliability etc, I think I will go the quaife.

Dave

Clutch:
I may have to contact uuc to see if they have this for the 6 speed, and if it will work with ssg.

Last edited by Davew; 12-30-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #57
t651

My Ride: BMW
Same sentiments here on the Quaife. As a street diff its nearly perfect. Its quiet and extremely civilised.

On very tight tracks (or tarmac rally as we do) it shows its weaknesses with the zero torque condition (one wheel not having any drive)
We've run into problems lifting wheels or putting a wheel in the gravel.

We ended up replacing it with a Cusco plated diff. Its a necessary evil as its not at all civlised (read savage) and requires special gear oil to get the most out of it.

If I had my time again, I'd seriously consider a Wavetrac Torsen diff. Same as Quaife but doesn't suffer the zero torque condition.
t651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #58
Davew
OEM ///Member

330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by t651 View Post
Same sentiments here on the Quaife. As a street diff its nearly perfect. Its quiet and extremely civilised.

On very tight tracks (or tarmac rally as we do) it shows its weaknesses with the zero torque condition (one wheel not having any drive)
We've run into problems lifting wheels or putting a wheel in the gravel.

We ended up replacing it with a Cusco plated diff. Its a necessary evil as its not at all civlised (read savage) and requires special gear oil to get the most out of it.

If I had my time again, I'd seriously consider a Wavetrac Torsen diff. Same as Quaife but doesn't suffer the zero torque condition.
The wave trac does look good, have you had any experience with it. Looked up there website and will seriously consider this option!

Old 12-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #59
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
I had the link copied and ready to paste on my phone when I saw Rob beat me to it lol. Excellent writeup of the ups and downs regarding Quaife diffs (and similarly constructed units).

I will see what pictures I have when I get home (following funeral, lots of stuff to take care of :/), don't know if I have any of the pulley. I didn't document my build anywhere (regret that now), but with three home servers, one dedicated to media and stocked with 8x 3TB drives off an LSI card, I will have some digging to do!
The car's in storage for winter, as even with the best winter tires I've found, it'd be too easy to introduce a tree to the M-Tech II (and with the amount of Vorsteiner products on the car, which are no longer produced, I wouldn't be able to repair it to a condition acceptable to me). Even summertime with Pilot Super Sports sized 255/30R19 and 275/30R19, traction can be a fickle thing.

One thing I can provide while "mobile" is a parts list, which as anyone who has done a fair bit of work can tell you gets scorched into your brain (I forget where I place my keys on a daily basis, but I can rattle off the specs of my 328Ci or M3 without even thinking lol).

I hate to admit that I have not spent a lot of time on my 328 lately, but have instead been very much focused on pushing the S54 as much as possible while remaining NA (chassis/brakes/suspension/wheels are always done 100pct before I touch a motor).
Was not able to get out on the track but for two events last summer due to health issues, so I am probably going toend up over exerting myself trying to make up for lost time this coming season.

I have been trying to keep the 328Ci as Street friendly as possible, meaning no stripped interior or the like. In fact, I can't even bring myself to remove the audio (7" double DIN touchscreen head unit, 2 McIntosh lightweight amps, all factory speakers replaced with Focal Utopia/kit7 components)! The rear seat removal, and install of an Alcantara wrapped bench in its place, is the biggest concession I have made thus far (plus the gauges, and front seats, I suppose). I know that I could knock another 170-220lbs off the car, maybe more, and get her under 3k pounds, but I am seriously considering buying an E30 S50B32 swap or my friend's Euro 98 M3 for a truly track focused build (as in, trailer queen).
Then again, prices on the Z4M Coupes are getting very reasonable, and I have always loved driving them, not to mention having two cars w the same motor would greatly simplify the whole parts hoarding thing.
Anyone know what kind of weight the Z4M Coupes can get to, reasonably (as in, without a team budget)?

Anyway, sorry for the derail, but if you want a parts list, I can write that up for you without a problem.

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #60
t651

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
The wave trac does look good, have you had any experience with it. Looked up there website and will seriously consider this option!
I've personally not had any. I believe a 135i here races with one. I've not heard any complaints from them on it.
The only reason we've not swapped from the Cusco to the Wavetrac is the investment already spent. Can't exactly bin a $1800 LSD center!

The direct steering (lack of push) that comes from a Torsen diff is great.
Just that the Quaife really let us down when we needed positive drive out of corners.

Likely you'll never find its limits out on the road.

Torsen + no zero torque condition is a winner in my book.
t651 is offline   Reply With Quote