E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 05:11 AM   #81
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Jesus Christ.
Nleksan, can we actually see any detailed pictures of this super duper car you always talk about? I have not seen one piece of evidence that any of these parts are on on your car, not to mention Dyno graphs even though you claim to have all that proven wheel horsepower. All I see are consistent rants about you and your car (novels for that case) explaining garbage after garbage, 1-upping everything someone has to say, and on top of that letting the whole world know you're life stories on why this and that. It's annoying.

I'm usually the most passive person when it comes to avoiding things, but I'm getting sick and tired of hearing your bullsh!t. You tell Adam that you're running a dry sump because it's a race car, but then go on to saying it's also street fiendly.

Please for god sakes post pictures of your 325, m3 , and the magical 328. Then we can start taking things seriously around here and I'll shut up.

Jeez I can't believe I'm saying all this.
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #82
Davew

My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan_select View Post
Good advice from Nleksan - if only you knew someone with a Zionsville Radiator Dave... LOL. (private joke / cheap advert for my E46 non M3 brand new Zionsville "Competition" spec radiator with aluminium expansion tank and electric fan). Also pleased to see he recommends the OS Giken LSD!

Stoked to see you getting into your build with such gusto! PEI330 has been immensely helpful to me (being a complete novice) always happy to give his time to provide advice and someone who you can trust as an expert with the M54. Congrats on your project so far Dave - Cheers, Brendan.
Thanks Brendan,

Can I trial your zionsville radiator that is posted here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=997696

(Plus discount for plug)

And then buy it as a second hand item , at a second hand price???

I plan to direct air to help cool the charger itself, just planning the best route, in which case I will eventually upgrade the oem rad and thermo. I have been giving this a lot of thought along with the intake. Our summers in Australia can get quite hot, and there doesn't seem to be much airflow especially at the top rear of the charger area.

It's a shame the aftermarket carbon fibre bonnets aren't vented further back, or with additional venting designed to cover the multiple sc kits available.

Dave

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-03-2014, 05:35 AM   #83
Davew

330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
Jesus Christ.
Nleksan, can we actually see any detailed pictures of this super duper car you always talk about? I have not seen one piece of evidence that any of these parts are on on your car, not to mention Dyno graphs even though you claim to have all that proven wheel horsepower. All I see are consistent rants about you and your car (novels for that case) explaining garbage after garbage, 1-upping everything someone has to say, and on top of that letting the whole world know you're life stories on why this and that. It's annoying.

I'm usually the most passive person when it comes to avoiding things, but I'm getting sick and tired of hearing your bullsh!t. You tell Adam that you're running a dry sump because it's a race car, but then go on to saying it's also street fiendly.

Please for god sakes post pictures of your 325, m3 , and the magical 328. Then we can start taking things seriously around here and I'll shut up.

Very clean and tidy 330 there secono330ci,

Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #84
Davconelectric

My Ride: 330
330ci ess ts2+

Quote:
Jesus Christ.

Haha you tell him

Old 01-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #85
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post
Picture please

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
You should see his other "5 door"!

Made me want to go out and buy one...
Thanks Adam

Quote:
Jesus Christ.

funny thing, I said pretty much the same thing to my wife the other day
Old 01-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #86
330i ZHP

Quote:
Picture please

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...139&highlight=
Old 01-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #87
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
I apologize if you feel that I'm trying to one up you, or anyone else. I have simply been trying to help a membermake a ssimilar decision to one I myself made, and the reasons behind those decisions. I stated in a prior post that I am, and have been, out of town, first for my grandmother's funeral and now for the significant amount of legal and estate issues, thus I have been posting from my phone, and the "novel" length posts are a way to get my mind off the stress.
Again, sorry if my advice or experience is unwanted.

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #88
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
I apologize if you feel that I'm trying to one up you, or anyone else. I have simply been trying to help a membermake a ssimilar decision to one I myself made, and the reasons behind those decisions. I stated in a prior post that I am, and have been, out of town, first for my grandmother's funeral and now for the significant amount of legal and estate issues, thus I have been posting from my phone, and the "novel" length posts are a way to get my mind off the stress.

My "simple" guess on this is people aren't use to you, and you're being treated kinda like a FNG.

Don't let it get you down, I know from your writings that you know & understand what you're talking about.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #89
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
I appreciate that, and I understand it, it can just be a little frustrating when you have been a member since 06 and come backaafter a leave of absence to basically an entirely different place.

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #90
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Quote:
Listen, I'll drop it. I've been around here a long enough to know your posts have helped others. It's a forum, so don't feel like you're advice is unwanted. All I meant was if you have a car like that, it would be most beneficial to share it with the community whether it be photos, videos, or what not.

Last edited by secono330ci; 01-04-2014 at 02:12 PM.
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #91
330i ZHP

I appreciate the information as well - and my comment to my wife was along the lines of feeling "one upped"...but that just means you and I researched and went in similar routes with our decisions.

Adam for FI/engine builder president and moderator

Last edited by 330i ZHP; 01-04-2014 at 02:43 PM.
330i ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #92
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Don't let other people's reactions change your own enthusiasm for what you enjoy. You obviously do it for your own enjoyment, I get that. But it would be nice eye candy to have some pictures at a future date.

My condolences to you and your family. Estate issues can be very stressful....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
I appreciate the information as well - and my comment to my wife was along the lines of feeling "one upped"...but that just means you and I researched and went in similar routes with our decisions.

Adam for FI/engine builder president and moderator
I'm guilty of doing the "one up" thing too.

I don't know if it's me you are referring to Stu...but I'm just an average enthusiast like yourself. I even have done the stay-at-home thing for periods with my son when he was younger.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #93
330i ZHP

I cannot wait to get him building models and in the garage learning tools...I guess I have awhile since he is only 2 months
Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #94
330i ZHP

one upping can also be seen as pioneering - thus I can learn from you - that is why I want to see pics and learn more from nlekson
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #95
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
one upping can also be seen as pioneering - thus I can learn from you - that is why I want to see pics and learn more from nlekson
No kidding!

There are VERY FEW M54s with dry sumps.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #96
Davew

330ci ess ts2+

Agreed with last comments, as I have said previously, there are several members posting in this thread with extreme knowledge and experience with the E46, I would really appreciate this to continue

The more knowledge you guys offer, the better decisions others and myself can make. I am a firm believer of getting multiple views, questioning why, and then deciding what's suits my build. All input is considered

330i ZHP, awesome X5!!! Thanks for posting, I had a read through your build

Did a bit of research on both rods I was considering, both appear to be near identical steel alloy composition, very much the same forging processes. Will dig a little deeper on weights, etc, and also both come balanced within the same spec. Been a little side tracked with work

Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 AM   #97
Davew

I have copied this across from my build thread, got stuck into the car over the weekend:

Put a new water pump in the car today, thanks Brendan,

I had the front apart to do the pump, then checked inpa for any faults, and my vanos fault was back yet again. The vanos has had new seals, piston seals, and solenoids.

I got thinking back to the night I finished the car. I didn't have the ts2+ software loaded, or the 8.5 pulley. The car was really savage in comparison. I had always put it down to "just getting used to the power", or the new tune "smoothing things out". I decided to do some investigating.

Stripped the engine cover, inspected cams, re torqued all items, then figured what the hell, take the vanos off, pin the crank, and check the cam timing.

Alignment of everything was perfect, except the exhaust cam.

It appears with the uprated valve springs, the cam had slipped (double valve springs).

I stripped the cam sprockets off, bit of loctite here and there, re torqued and aligned, banged it all back together, and found that savageness that had been there the first night , and more

The key here seems to be the improved vacuum, the bypass actuation is nothing like it has been, down low and mid is incredible.

End quote

The fact also that the exhaust valves are now opening and closing at the right time seems also to be helping

I have booked another dyno run for Wednesday, conditions here are going to be hot, but I really want to see if this was present on the last two dyno runs. The exhaust cam was about 7-9 degrees out anti clockwise, when looking from the front of the car back, and was throwing a mechanical vanos fault. I had discounted any cam timing problems previously, as I took my time, and had it spot on. I hadn't considered the cam being able to slip. On the other hand, if the car dynos the same, I will know it happened between runs, which I doubt greatly based on the feel of the car now.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #98
brendan_select

My Ride: E46 330
Quote:
Thanks Brendan,

Can I trial your zionsville radiator that is posted here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=997696

(Plus discount for plug)

And then buy it as a second hand item , at a second hand price???

I plan to direct air to help cool the charger itself, just planning the best route, in which case I will eventually upgrade the oem rad and thermo. I have been giving this a lot of thought along with the intake. Our summers in Australia can get quite hot, and there doesn't seem to be much airflow especially at the top rear of the charger area.

It's a shame the aftermarket carbon fibre bonnets aren't vented further back, or with additional venting designed to cover the multiple sc kits available.

Dave

Sure Dave - can do. Consider it yours to trial and hence sold LOL.

Australia sure can get hot we have just had 5 consecutive days over 40 degrees c / 104 f in Melbourne (like walking into an oven). Pleased to say we had a cool change last night and temp is back to a livable 20 odd degrees c.
brendan_select is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #99
brendan_select

Quote:
I have copied this across from my build thread, got stuck into the car over the weekend:

Put a new water pump in the car today, thanks Brendan,

I had the front apart to do the pump, then checked inpa for any faults, and my vanos fault was back yet again. The vanos has had new seals, piston seals, and solenoids.

I got thinking back to the night I finished the car. I didn't have the ts2+ software loaded, or the 8.5 pulley. The car was really savage in comparison. I had always put it down to "just getting used to the power", or the new tune "smoothing things out". I decided to do some investigating.

Stripped the engine cover, inspected cams, re torqued all items, then figured what the hell, take the vanos off, pin the crank, and check the cam timing.

Alignment of everything was perfect, except the exhaust cam.

It appears with the uprated valve springs, the cam had slipped (double valve springs).

I stripped the cam sprockets off, bit of loctite here and there, re torqued and aligned, banged it all back together, and found that savageness that had been there the first night , and more

The key here seems to be the improved vacuum, the bypass actuation is nothing like it has been, down low and mid is incredible.

End quote

The fact also that the exhaust valves are now opening and closing at the right time seems also to be helping

I have booked another dyno run for Wednesday, conditions here are going to be hot, but I really want to see if this was present on the last two dyno runs. The exhaust cam was about 7-9 degrees out anti clockwise, when looking from the front of the car back, and was throwing a mechanical vanos fault. I had discounted any cam timing problems previously, as I took my time, and had it spot on. I hadn't considered the cam being able to slip. On the other hand, if the car dynos the same, I will know it happened between runs, which I doubt greatly based on the feel of the car now.

Respect for diggin' into the engine during the bonkas heat wave - I am so stoked for you to have found this little issue. The first dyno run output was not what I had expected (even putting aside you still have exhaust work to do). Cant wait to hear what she yields when the whether is back to normal!
Old 02-03-2014, 02:05 AM   #100
brendan_select

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan_select View Post
Respect for diggin' into the engine during the bonkas heat wave - I am so stoked for you to have found this little issue. The first dyno run output was not what I had expected (even putting aside you still have exhaust work to do). Cant wait to hear what she yields when the whether is back to normal!
In for update!