E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Aking23

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
E46 subframe repair

So i sorda bolted it on .... Thoughts?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1388248918.903798.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	540262

Seems legit?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aking23 View Post
Attachment 540262

Seems legit?

Ahh, no.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
e46jki44

My Ride: e46 325i sedan
Re: E46 subframe repair

Craigslist be like.....

.....subframe professionally reinforced

Sent from my SPH-D710 using BimmerApp mobile app
e46jki44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Totally fine! Just put some blue loctite on there to make sure it stays in place.

Looking to buy a base E30 3'er coupe in or near CT. PM me if you're selling.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
kryatov123

My Ride: Nike
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46jki44 View Post
Craigslist be like.....

.....subframe professionally reinforced

Sent from my SPH-D710 using BimmerApp mobile app

lol
kryatov123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Flop
gettin' after it

My Ride: '04 330Ci 6MT
Not sure if serious.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Cavi Mike

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Attachment 540262

Seems legit?

Ha, that's pretty funny. I actually plan on reinforcing through the trunk floor - but with a cage - not a really long bolt.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Aking23

E46 subframe repair

Lol never said it was meant to be professional, just a fix. So far all the issues i had with my car are gone. No more thump and it actually goes into gear smoother. Professional is like 4500 .This is like 30 bucks for the screws ,plate washers and bolts.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Fixed? LOL
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
Davconelectric

My Ride: 330
E46 subframe repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
Not sure if serious.
+1

Old 12-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Lol never said it was meant to be professional, just a fix. So far all the issues i had with my car are gone. No more thump and it actually goes into gear smoother. Professional is like 4500 .This is like 30 bucks for the screws ,plate washers and bolts.

well to be fair a $4500 fix is when they cut out, and weld in a whole new floor panel and it's better than new with warranty from BMW.

you really need to be sure that bolt you're now using is a high strength Grade bolt. it appears to be a cheap grade bolt.

but this is something i posted about like 7-8yrs ago. here is my thread on a shop doing this years ago.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=active
Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Stronger than the sardine can sheetmetal BMW put there.
How thick is that plate?
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
Aking23

E46 subframe repair

Its an aluminum bolt supposedly, and I'm not sure on the plate its pretty heavy iron though. I did it this way because my subframe was only torn from one of the four points, so instead of taking everything down for one mount i found this to be a better solution. Either way as much as it pains me, ill be looking into a g in the near future. Bmw may have great quality engines trannys and interior but this issue has really showed their "german engineering" to be A plus (sarcastically)

Old 12-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
fiveightandten

Wait....I thought this was a joke. That's seriously your subframe repair?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #15
Aking23

E46 subframe repair

As funny and amusing as it may sound, yes it is. I just wanted to share with my fellow fanatics to see if anyone has done it or tried this before.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #16
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
I think the OP is onto something here,........And I'm Not Joking.

First, everyone is really Assuming here; with very little information to base his or her assumption on. His aluminum bolts need to be thrown out & replaced with at least a grade 8 bolt, those steel mounting plates should be welded in, but in reality you could epoxy them in place. I'm not a fan of using epoxy for a repair like this, but many many E46F forum members have successfully done it that way.

This Brilliant but ultra simple fix relies on the fact that your Bimmer has very little to little subframe damage to begin with. Someone with a "torn-up" subframe can't get away with this type of simple fix.

This WILL work and I really endorse it, as long as you are starting with a subframe that's not badly damaged.

The picture below is the best / most comprehensive way to do this, the OP's version is the same thing in its simplest form.

OP, good work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0858.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	540369  

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #17
fiveightandten

Quote:
As funny and amusing as it may sound, yes it is. I just wanted to share with my fellow fanatics to see if anyone has done it or tried this before.

Does that stud go through to the bottom of the floor pan? If so, here are the issues with your "repair":

-The floor pan is double walled. You have put a plate on the outer/upper part of the metal, and not the actual surface that sees mechanical stress. Furthermore, the act of you tightening that nut down is putting constant mechanical stress on both the upper and lower pieces of metal.

-You have a big huge threaded stud sticking up in your trunk, preventing you from putting your carpet back in.

-It's on the driver's side. If i'm remembering correctly, the engine rotates clockwise, making torque under wheel resistance push UP on the driver's side floor pan. You can confirm this by looking at BMW's procedure for the structural foam repair, which I believe was only spec'd to be injected on the driver's side (to counteract compressive force). Clearly the metal will see force in both directions, but the majority of the force it sees will be pushing your plate up, not pulling it down.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #18
jayb328i

Quote:
Its an aluminum bolt supposedly, and I'm not sure on the plate its pretty heavy iron though. I did it this way because my subframe was only torn from one of the four points, so instead of taking everything down for one mount i found this to be a better solution. Either way as much as it pains me, ill be looking into a g in the near future. Bmw may have great quality engines trannys and interior but this issue has really showed their "german engineering" to be A plus (sarcastically)

As someone who has gone through the subframe repair, I did allot of research and reading on this. BMW did make a mistake on the subframes for the E46 starting with 1999 (and BMW seems to indicate through 2002 or 3). But although they do not admit it, I think they must have done some redesign to strengthen the subframe in 2002 or 3, but the problems clearly continued to exist beyond those years for all E46's. BMW had a program in place to pay for the repair--ending in 2010. The cost of that repair was about $4500 per car. Based on readings, I understand that the E36 had problems with subframe on the front, and BMW thought they would correct that for the E46 in the original design (1999?) by putting a stronger front end on the E46 (compared to the E36). It is my understanding what that did was shifted ALL the stress from the front to the rear of the E46. Almost never hear of a E46 having front end subframe problem. After much research, there is no question for me, that welding is the better way to go, and is the required way if you have a crack. Epoxy method is a weaker method, and will not work on any major (observable) crack on a permanent basis. The problem is that some cracks are hairline and not easily observable---and those are questionable if the epoxy will work, but definitely not as good as welding. In both cases, a custom plate needs to be made if a crack is discovered and the subframe kit (Turner) does not have the exact plate to cover the area of the rip (crac)---which is doubtful. There are something like 8 plates in the Turner Kit--with two of them welded into the truck area --where it is common to crack also. The only way to do this properly and get to all the underside points is to drop out the exhaust system, gas tank (safety), and the rest of it. Otherwise it is not exposed to where you need to get to. Those who lean toward Epoxy is because it is easier, faster, cheaper, and possibly a DIY. But Epoxy will not work it the rip (crack) is apparent--if you have not seen it, it will be anywhere from a few inches to 6 inches long, many times large enough to get your finger almost into,and multiple cracks are not uncommon, requiring cutting a custom plate. Epoxy is a weak fix for that. BMW does not publish information on this, but it appears that with time, the stress builds up on the E46--and I think at least the majority (maybe much more) will encounter this problem. The rips usually occur first on the left side, and many times go to the trunk rear area. To fix the one rip is like doing nothing, the some of the other 6 or 8 stress points are weakened and will rip--maybe most of them. It takes a professional at least 10 to 12 hours of work to do everything, using the welding method. I would not consider the weaker Epoxy method since you need to drop everything out to get to the area needed. However, in fairness to the Epoxy method--it appears to me that if you catch the problem BEFORE stress cracks (meaning hairline cracks/rips) that fix may work. The hairline cracks are very difficult to see--sometimes almost impossible, until they open completely (in several months). But again, that is the weaker of the fix alternatives. These are my observations based on detailed research and understanding what went wrong with so many of the E46 (and previous E36). Lastly, the subframe crack is more normal for those who track/race their E46 or other BMW's, it is has always been common to reinforce it--it you are putting that type of stress on the car. (The E46 was not designed for that type of use).
Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Trip660

My Ride: 1999 323i
I agree with you on all this. Also the op should be aware that if that mount tore out through the bottom there is tremendous downward force being exerted there. The metal under his fix plate is less than .060 thick and only one layer. Honestly will that hold? No
Trip660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
jayb328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip660 View Post
I agree with you on all this. Also the op should be aware that if that mount tore out through the bottom there is tremendous downward force being exerted there. The metal under his fix plate is less than .060 thick and only one layer. Honestly will that hold? No
And lets not forget that if the metal has cracked at one location---the other stress points on the subframe have been OVERstressed carrying an additional load ---and are all weakened (just waiting to break through, or a hidden hair-line crack has formed). Fixing the one site that is "broken", ripped, is not a fix at all. It is playing with time.