E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
boatshoe

My Ride: '03 330xi
Who works on Wall St.?

I'll be graduating soon with a Mechanical Engineering degree, with a new-found interest in a Wall St. job, at least for a few years after I get out of college before I go off and use my degree. I know there are certain positions on wall street where your degree isn't that relevant, and ones that actually like to hire engineers because of their math qualifications and skills/mindset. I've heard of engineers getting hired as analysts all the way to getting hired as brokers.

What positions are these and what's my best shot?

Last edited by boatshoe; 12-28-2013 at 08:30 PM.
boatshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
I've thought about Wall Street a time or two. Some of my fraternity brothers are working up there for the banks. They seem to enjoy the lifestyle.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Ask anyone in Ohio / a Southern state. They all manage hedge funds worth hundreds of millions, trade stocks for a living, everything paid off, and don't work under atleast 4 bosses.

This is E46F, boss zone.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
You just watched Wolf on Wall Street, didn't you
Old 12-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
The movie got you that excited? I could be wrong, but I would imagine you'd be hard pressed to find a job in finance. I've seriously looked into quantitative finance as a possible master's but even with a minor in math and a physics BS I wouldn't be much of a candidate; they're looking for math & applied math majors because the mathematics used is very abstract. If you could find a job, I would think it would be closer to something computer-science related in the financial sector. I have a friend who's doing coding/financial work with Amazon and he has a mechanical degree from MIT.

Look into quantitative finance & ecomonic engineering. If you want to read up on the math behind it, chaos theory/fractal geometry/random walks all play a role. The Black Scholes equation is essentially what ruined our economy but still used for financial modeling and it's insanely interesting. A Random Walk Down Wall Street is good, as is The Myth of the Rational Market; both deal with modeling the market from a random walk approach and the latter pretty much tells you that you can never truly predict the market because humans are irrational. And last but not least, Ito Calculus is the calculus heavily used in quant. Imagine a function that is eveywhere continuous but nowhere differentiable and you'll get a feel for what it's dealing with.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 12-28-2013 at 09:37 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
You just watched Wolf on Wall Street, didn't you
Thought the same thing. Either that or Boiler Room.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
This is E46F, boss zone.
Or make sure you talk to class of 2011 dropouts that work in brick stores. They're so good at finances and everything else in life. Why else would anyone work in dat mad Florida brix industry yo

Last edited by Zell; 12-28-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
boatshoe

Who works on Wall St.?

Hahaha its not because of Wolf of Wall street or Boiler Room, although I have seen pretty much every Wall St movie. It was actually Margin Call a while back that got me on the idea...the main guy was an aerospace engi. But ive been checking some stats about major firms and something like 10% of employees were engineers.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
Hahaha its not because of Wolf of Wall street or Boiler Room, although I have seen pretty much every Wall St movie. It was actually Margin Call a while back that got me on the idea...the main guy was an aerospace engi. But ive been checking some stats about major firms and something like 10% of employees were engineers.

Guys with PhDs in math/physics/engineering are the indirect reason our economy took a dump in 2008. The derivatives market didn't exist until they got their hands on the stock market.

flickher

Old 12-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
bimmerfan08

Quote:

22% of CEOs have an engineering background...
Old 12-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Guys with PhDs in math/physics/engineering are the indirect reason our economy took a dump in 2008. The derivatives market didn't exist until they got their hands on the stock market.
What are you making up on the internet now?

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Working on Wall Street is a fraud's job. A bunch of insanely hard working strivers trying to turn a dollar into a dollar ten quicker than everybody else on the Street. It's impossible for the majority to do that. You can do that on your own time and do something useful with your mech e degree.

Besides, all the resumes in high finance are impeccable. Unless you have a high GPA with your degree from a prestigious university and good internships, forget about it. You've already missed the boat to the ground floor. Trying to break in now requires a bunch of hustle and grit, things that I assume you just don't have, since most people don't have them.

Low finance is all about telling financially illiterate people why your company's high fee mutual funds are better than other company's high fee mutual funds. That's a job I wouldn't want to wish on anyone.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
What are you making up on the internet now?
Gtfo class of 2011. Big boys talk here.

Go back to your brix, faggot

Last edited by Zell; 12-28-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
boatshoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
Working on Wall Street is a fraud's job. A bunch of insanely hard working strivers trying to turn a dollar into a dollar ten quicker than everybody else on the Street. It's impossible for the majority to do that. You can do that on your own time and do something useful with your mech e degree.

Besides, all the resumes in high finance are impeccable. Unless you have a high GPA with your degree from a prestigious university and good internships, forget about it. You've already missed the boat to the ground floor. Trying to break in now requires a bunch of hustle and grit, things that I assume you just don't have, since most people don't have them.

Low finance is all about telling financially illiterate people why your company's high fee mutual funds are better than other company's high fee mutual funds. That's a job I wouldn't want to wish on anyone.
Thats fair and I agree. I was just wondering if there were any particularly great positions that it would be easy for an engineer to just walk into.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
saace7

My Ride: is for chicks
Quote:
Thats fair and I agree. I was just wondering if there were any particularly great positions that it would be easy for an engineer to just walk into.
If only life was that easy right?

08 135i - red leather w/ sport pkg
04 zhp - a tree killed it. RIP 7/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
BMW does not make a "super car". They make some super cars, but not a "super car".
saace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #16
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post

rapier, just curious what you do for a career? Good piece of advice and you tend to know finance/economics better than most.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Absolutely not. I went to a talk on quantitative finance recently and the whole experience was more sobering than I had hoped. I've read about engineering & physics students getting hired on because they're good with math, but the reality is it just doesn't happen enough to actually pursue it. Granted, I learned a lot and the talk was great, but my hopes of going into finance were pretty much gone by the end of it.

flickher

Old 12-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
boatshoe

Quote:
Absolutely not. I went to a talk on quantitative finance recently and the whole experience was more sobering than I had hoped. I've read about engineering & physics students getting hired on because they're good with math, but the reality is it just doesn't happen enough to actually pursue it. Granted, I learned a lot and the talk was great, but my hopes of going into finance were pretty much gone by the end of it.
Thanks for this and your post above...I'll definitely look into it but I'm definitely not counting on it.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
cowmoo32
drunken science

I still fully plan on blasting my resume out when I'm done, why not? I've got nothing to lose and if something sticks I'll run with it. Do the same, see what happens.

flickher

Old 12-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #20
boatshoe

Quote:
I still fully plan on blasting my resume out when I'm done, why not? I've got nothing to lose and if something sticks I'll run with it. Do the same, see what happens.
Exactly my plan. People get on Wall St. with fvcking art history degrees. Not saying its common, but its possible.

I'd be 100% interested in working in IB or trading for a little while, but theres no chance I'll major in Finance or any sort of business. If it happens with my degree, it'll happen, but I'd much rather have an MEng degree for when it doesn't work out.

Last edited by boatshoe; 12-28-2013 at 10:17 PM.
boatshoe is offline   Reply With Quote