E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #41
budfox4life

My Ride: intexcalc
Send a message via Yahoo to budfox4life
i currently work at a a "larger" private equity firm ($30B AUM) on their hedge fund side

previously worked at two of the largest international i-banks and prior to that the largest gse

your degree is almost entirely irrelevant - what internships have you done and what skills (programming or otherwise) do you have? do you have any connections to anyone in any firms you are interested in?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #42
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeyb View Post
and what do you do for a career?

nothing like stereotyping an entire industry

wtf does what i do have to do with the truth about wall st?

there's queers and pedafiles in church, i know this, but i'm not a priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex View Post
There is no BSing your way in to a trading career. That is no different than saying you could BS your way on to the starting lineup for a professional sports team.
really? sooooooooooooo

running a 4.5 40 is the same as working at a hedge fund your buddy runs?

lemme guess, you guys represent the brilliance of the trading world with these posts?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #43
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by budfox4life View Post
i currently work at a a "larger" private equity firm ($30B AUM) on their hedge fund side

previously worked at two of the largest international i-banks and prior to that the largest gse

your degree is almost entirely irrelevant - what internships have you done and what skills (programming or otherwise) do you have? do you have any connections to anyone in any firms you are interested in?
Definitely didn't think anyone in PE/HF was on this board. Looking to make the transition myself someday. How do you like it?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #44
budfox4life

My Ride: intexcalc
Send a message via Yahoo to budfox4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5933 View Post
Definitely didn't think anyone in PE/HF was on this board. Looking to make the transition myself someday. How do you like it?
I would never, in my life, ever consider going back to sell side.

I genuinely enjoy my job - I worked longer hours doing less challenging work when I was on sell side - Being part of a huge bank with 30-50k employees with countless levels of management and ridiculous controls and regulation that wasted countless hours is a world away from my current situation in a firm of 300 employees (nyc office).

The jump from ibank to pe firm was very scary at first - you are compensated because you are expected to perform at a very high level right out of the gate. I have seen a few employees come and go since I joined because they misrepresented their skill sets and couldn't bs long enough to actually learn what they claimed they knew (which I saw people successfully do all the time at big banks).

As long as you know your stuff, can execute at a high level, and are ready to take on challenges without huge support teams (like at the banks I was previously at), then you will succeed.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #45
Drex

My Ride: Cosmic Waves
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
really? sooooooooooooo

running a 4.5 40 is the same as working at a hedge fund your buddy runs?

lemme guess, you guys represent the brilliance of the trading world with these posts?
Why so harsh? I merely make the analogy to state that the proof is in the pudding. You cannot fake a .300 batting average just like you cannot fake the ability to consistently extract money from the markets like an ATM.

It's not about brilliance. It's not about ego. In fact, it is the exact opposite of ego. If you bring your ego to your trading desk you may as well just give your money away. Trading is about self control, emotional intelligence and proper risk management. You do not trade against the market, nor against other traders, you trade against yourself.
Drex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #46
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex View Post
Why so harsh? I merely make the analogy to state that the proof is in the pudding. You cannot fake a .300 batting average just like you cannot fake the ability to consistently extract money from the markets like an ATM.

It's not about brilliance. It's not about ego. In fact, it is the exact opposite of ego. If you bring your ego to your trading desk you may as well just give your money away. Trading is about self control, emotional intelligence and proper risk management. You do not trade against the market, nor against other traders, you trade against yourself.
yeah, but you bet against other traders

ya know, credit default swaps?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #47
bimmerCi

My Ride: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
yeah, but you bet against other traders

ya know, credit default swaps?
bimmerCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #48
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Just trade bitcoins from your own home man.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #49
boatshoe

My Ride: '03 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5933 View Post
Leveraged finance analyst working in NYC here. Without getting into too much detail with this post, here are a few points I want to make:

-Learn exactly what you want to do "on wall street" since it really sounds like you do not know the first thing about what careers there are in finance (no offense)

-Understand this will be an uphill battle. Unless you are willing to put in hours of preparation for interviews and even more hours into networking, don't even bother. Even then your chances are still pretty small

-I do not know what vision of finance you have but for the most part, there is nothing glamorous or cool about it. No one gives a **** you're a trader or investment banker, despite what you may think

Feel free to ask any questions you may have but definitely do some more research first.
You're right: I know almost nothing about it. I keep getting these glimpses of people around me (in school, people my finance friends know, even movies) having a bunch of positions on Wall St. that keep catching my interest. A lot of things make it seem like its the fastest way to the top but I know statistically its not. Of course I plan to be an engineer but I'm just weighing the options. I have a loooot to learn before I make any moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
why don't all the E46F engineers go engineer themselves into an estate instead of posting here.
Sick bro.

Quote:

Fitting username. At this point, I have literally nothing. And I'd imagine the smartest thing I can do by far is spend my internship(s) before I graduate in engineering positions, so I don't know if/how it would work out. I guess I just plan on blasting my resume to firms just in case. Again, I'm not counting on it, just trying to learn about it and see if I could feasibly make it happen.

Last edited by boatshoe; 12-29-2013 at 11:46 PM.
boatshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #50
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
If you want to make it to the top, statistically speaking, you have a better chance at becoming a CEO than any other major based on studies conducted around CEO backgrounds. Hence why I posted that 22% figure. Good luck. Will definitely be a long, long, long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
"They". Again with this idea that white people are a singular organism with a single will.

Individuals make choices and take actions. Sometimes their race informs their choices and actions, sometimes it does not.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #51
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
Sick bro.
As sick as when you're going to work on Wall Street bro.

Wait, you're never going to work on Wall Street.

Stick to the movies, chump.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #52
boatshoe

My Ride: '03 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
As sick as when you're going to work on Wall Street bro.

Wait, you're never going to work on Wall Street.

Stick to the movies, chump.
Why don't you tell everybody what you do for a living.

And don't tell me what I won't do.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #53
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
I think v8 5 sells masonry supplies and riding lawn mowers online IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
"They". Again with this idea that white people are a singular organism with a single will.

Individuals make choices and take actions. Sometimes their race informs their choices and actions, sometimes it does not.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:00 AM   #54
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Why don't you tell everybody what you do for a living.

And don't tell me what I won't do.

I'm giving you a reality check here. You won't ever work on Wall Street.

So stick to the movies kid.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #55
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
You're right: I know almost nothing about it. I keep getting these glimpses of people around me (in school, people my finance friends know, even movies) having a bunch of positions on Wall St. that keep catching my interest. A lot of things make it seem like its the fastest way to the top but I know statistically its not. Of course I plan to be an engineer but I'm just weighing the options. I have a loooot to learn before I make any moves.

Fitting username. At this point, I have literally nothing. And I'd imagine the smartest thing I can do by far is spend my internship(s) before I graduate in engineering positions, so I don't know if/how it would work out. I guess I just plan on blasting my resume to firms just in case. Again, I'm not counting on it, just trying to learn about it and see if I could feasibly make it happen.
You are the reason why people like me have to make resume screening software. Because you and people like you apply to jobs that you have absolutely no business applying to.

Just because companies like Facebook and Google make the web so easy to use doesn't mean you should use it to easily send your resume out into the wilderness.

You'll find that when it comes to these types of jobs, your results are equivalent to the amount of effort you put into it relative to other people. The amount of effort you're willing to put in is zero compared to the people who will actually go on to work in high finance.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #56
slowturbo

My Ride: 2011 328xi
At this point in time, I agree with others that it will be extremely difficult for you to get a job in finance without any real connections. I do some recruiting for my team (we do credit analysis and model capital structures) and always look for candidates who have demonstrated previous interest in finance through internships, coursework, and extracurricular activities rather than someone who just decided it sounds cool.

My advice, try to get a good job leveraging your skillset. If in a few years down the line you want to shift into finance, you can probably go back to school for an MBA (I wouldn't recomment anything less than top 20) to make the career shift you want.

Past:
-2011 328xi/2002 325i/2007 335i Turbo tuned/2004 A4 1.8T GIAC 1+

Last edited by slowturbo; 12-30-2013 at 07:24 AM.
slowturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #57
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
I would never, in my life, ever consider going back to sell side.

I genuinely enjoy my job - I worked longer hours doing less challenging work when I was on sell side - Being part of a huge bank with 30-50k employees with countless levels of management and ridiculous controls and regulation that wasted countless hours is a world away from my current situation in a firm of 300 employees (nyc office).

The jump from ibank to pe firm was very scary at first - you are compensated because you are expected to perform at a very high level right out of the gate. I have seen a few employees come and go since I joined because they misrepresented their skill sets and couldn't bs long enough to actually learn what they claimed they knew (which I saw people successfully do all the time at big banks).

As long as you know your stuff, can execute at a high level, and are ready to take on challenges without huge support teams (like at the banks I was previously at), then you will succeed.
Awesome. Thanks for the response. Now just have to figure out how to get my foot in the door! I'm assuming since you are on the HF side you don't have an MBA?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #58
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:

What sectors do you focus on?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #59
Fergo

My Ride: S52 E30(dead)08 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
What sectors do you focus on?
My bet is anacott steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
v10 was awesome new m5 is just fast dosent have a soul just 2 easy to make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #60
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
My bet is anacott steel
ha, such code