E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
US teens lag in global education rankings as Asian countries rise to the top

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...o-the-top?lite

Quote:
By Daniel Arkin, Staff Writer, NBC News

Students in the United States made scant headway on recent global achievement exams and slipped deeper in the international rankings amid fast-growing competition abroad, according to test results released Tuesday.

American teens scored below the international average in math and roughly average in science and reading, compared against dozens of other countries that participated in the 2012 Program for International Student Assessment (PISA), which was administered last fall.

Vietnam, which had its students take part in the exam for the first time, had a higher average score in math and science than the United States. Students in Shanghai — China's largest city with upwards of 20 million people — ranked best in the world, according to the test results. Students in East Asian countries and provinces came out on top, nabbing seven of the top 10 places across all three subjects.

U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan characterized the flat scores as a "picture of educational stagnation."

"We must invest in early education, raise academic standards, make college affordable, and do more to recruit and retain top-notch educators," Duncan said.

Roughly half a million students in 65 nations and educational systems representing 80 percent of the global economy took part in the 2012 edition of PISA, which is coordinated by the Paris-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, or OECD.

The numbers are even more sobering when compared among only the 34 OECD countries. The United States ranked 26th in math — trailing nations such as the Slovakia, Portugal and Russia. What’s more, American high school students dropped to 21st in science (from 17th in 2009) and slipped to 17th in reading (from 14th in 2009), according to the results.

“These numbers are very discouraging,” Eric A. Hanushek, an expert on educational policy and a Paul and Jean Hanna Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution of Stanford University, told NBC News. “They say that we have to work more seriously at trying to raise the performance that leads to these scores.”

The exam, which has been administered every three years to 15-year-olds, is designed to gauge how students use the material they have learned inside and outside the classroom to solve problems.

U.S. scores on the PISA have stayed relatively flat since testing began in 2000. And meanwhile, students in countries like Ireland and Poland have demonstrated marked improvement — even surpassing U.S. students, according to the results.

Top Talkers: Teenagers are making no progress on international achievement exams, the 2012 Program for International Student Assessment results show. Jon Meacham, Julie Pace and Mike Barnicle discuss.

"It's hard to get excited about standing still while others around you are improving, so I don't want to be too positive," Jack Buckley, commissioner of the National Center for Education Statistics, told the Associated Press.

Duncan said the results were at "odds with our aspiration to have the best-educated, most competitive work force in the world."

The scores are likely to reopen a long-simmering political debate about the state of education in America as economically ascendant nations like China eclipse U.S. students' performance.

American students historically have ranked low on international assessments, owing to a range of social and economic factors — from skyrocketing rates of child poverty to sheer population diversity. Nearly 6,100 American students participated in this round of testing.

"Socio-economic background has a significant impact on student performance in the United States, with some 15% of the variation in student performance explained by this, similar to the OECD average," according to a PISA summary of U.S. performance. "Although this impact has weakened over time, disadvantaged students show less engagement, drive, motivation and self-beliefs."

Shanghai students also dominated the PISA exam in 2009, according to the AP.

Tom Loveless, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, told the wire service that the educational system in that city is not equitable — and the students tested are progeny of the elite because they are the only ones permitted to attend municipal schools due to restrictions that, among other things, prohibit many migrant children.

"The Shanghai scores frankly to me are difficult to interpret," Loveless told the wire service. "They are almost meaningless."

Buckley told the AP that U.S. officials have not encountered any evidence of a "biased sample" of students administered the exam in Shanghai. He said if the whole country was included, it is unclear what the results would show.

Hanushek told NBC News that the performance of Asian teens says a great deal about the modern mindset of the Far East.

“These East Asian countries are hungry,” Hanushek said. “They have the view that improving their lives and improving their future depends on education.”

And the U.S., he added, has grown too accustomed to leading the world in knowledge that it may have lost its edge.

“We have the strongest economy in the world. But everybody is too complacent,” Hanushek said.

The test is premised on a 1,000-point scale. Here's a sampling of the leading findings:

— In math, the U.S. average score was 481. Average scores ranged from 368 in Peru to 613 in Shanghai. The global average was 494.

— In science, the U.S. average score was 497. Average scores ranged from 373 in Peru to 580 in Shanghai. The global average was 501.

— In reading, the U.S. average score was 498. Average scores ranged from 384 in Peru to 570 in Shanghai. The global average was 496.

Students from all states were tested. For the first time, three states — Massachusetts, Connecticut and Florida — elected to boost participation in PISA to get more state-specific data.

Average scores from Massachusetts rose above the international average in all three subject areas. Connecticut students scored on average near the global average in math and higher than the global average in science and reading. Florida students on average scored below the global average in math and science and near the global average in reading, according to the AP.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63
it's the black kids making the rest of the kids look bad.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
if we privatized all the schools, everything would be better.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
If parents gave a crap, everything would be better
Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
mistrzmiasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
If parents gave a crap, everything would be better
parents give a crap about teachers not doing their job and not their kids fvcking up. remember kids , it's never your fault, remember?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Asians are good at math????
Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
inorite?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
mistrzmiasta

surprisingly asians scored the lowest in driving.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
choxor

My Ride: JDM
And penile length.

One takeaway from this article is that Peru is dumb as hell.

Last edited by choxor; 01-03-2014 at 08:34 AM.
choxor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.2
Heyoooo

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
pakman3

My Ride: piece
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
parents give a crap about teachers not doing their job and not their kids fvcking up. remember kids , it's never your fault, remember?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Quote:
I'd rather have a nation of good drivers than a nation who scores high on theoretical tests, 'Murica!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
mistrzmiasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
I'd rather have a nation of good drivers than a nation who scores high on theoretical tests, 'Murica!
i'd rather have both.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #14
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
US teens lag in global education rankings as Asian countries rise to the top

Old article but I'm honestly not surprised by the results.

brown magic
awesomechinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
NOVAbimmer

asian kids might be good at math, but can they deadlift 300lbs? 'Murica

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...8aa_story.html

Quote:
Jake can deadlift 300 pounds. "Three hundred pounds is obviously double his body weight," says his trainer, Mike Sarni. His physical strength is matched by his mental toughness. "He doesn't feel he can be defeated. It is that inner strength that tells him, 'I can do this.' Usually, you only get that in older, more mature people."
Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #16
Double Vanos
Loves cookies

My Ride: 2013 VW GTi
Send a message via AIM to Double Vanos
Quote:
Quote:
And penile length.
Quote:

Well I guess we can't be the best in everything.

2011 135i 6 speed (Gone and missed)
Double Vanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #17
MotorWerkz

My Ride: very cheap Yugo
Send a message via AIM to MotorWerkz
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
#yolo #swag
Old 01-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #18
Ynot

My Ride: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
asian kids might be good at math, but can they deadlift 300lbs? 'Murica

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...8aa_story.html
Of course

No surprised here, move along. Asians are smart at math and science. Whites are great with school shootings, Blacks, people who annoys you and those kind of people. Mexicans, give me my damn burrito. This thread is now racist.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #19
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
dont really care

ever meet some of those smart kids in Asia? know what the culture is like surrounding education in Asia? prospective jobs for most college grads in Asia? No thanks...
Old 01-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #20
Dinan e36

My Ride: LEXUS IS350
Send a message via AIM to Dinan e36
White people mad.