E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #21
Mayo

My Ride: CBR600RR
Doesn't matter how smart the kids are in Asian countries - if they come up with a good idea they will come here to make it happen. With the dismal copyright laws in China only a moron would stay there to develop an innovative idea - it's a country of copy-cat factory owners and their 1.3 billion minions - ie. Chinese GDP per capita will never surpass $15k without the help of inflation.

Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #22
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: Ghey Mobile
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
This is why Silicon Valley is saturated with immigrants.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #23
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
America is lazy
Old 01-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #24
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
America is lazy
not the job creators.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #25
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
dont really care

ever meet some of those smart kids in Asia? know what the culture is like surrounding education in Asia? prospective jobs for most college grads in Asia? No thanks...
Except these Asian kids immigrate to the U.S. and become the workforce behind America's tech. While the majority of American youngsters meander meaninglessly doing low paying jobs.

All the sudden the demanding Asian education doesn't look so bad when it sets you up to be successful later on.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #26
GDubois

My Ride: is slow
People who annoy you

Congratulations.
GDubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #27
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
These results are hardly shocking. I cringe every time someone posts an incorrect version of 'their', they're, there, or says 'would of/should of'. If we can't teach students basic grade four English, we aren't likely to be able to teach them anything else.

North Americans are falling behind because teachers aren't allowed to fail poorly performing students any more. We are creating more illiterate graduates every day.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #28
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Except these Asian kids immigrate to the U.S. and become the workforce behind America's tech. While the majority of American youngsters meander meaninglessly doing low paying jobs.

All the sudden the demanding Asian education doesn't look so bad when it sets you up to be successful later on.
if they can immigrate yeah they may have better opportunities here, but that's only if they have the chance to. if you go back to asia, look at the number of college degree grads with no jobs. talk to any college student even in a technical degree, the consensus is the same: hard to find and low paying jobs even if they get a job in their technical field of choice.

and i'm happy i grew up here instead of in asia...no way i would survive in that kind of educational environment, i am way too ADD and have too many interests other than studying. and IMO the american way of learning (college education on, not talking about primary/secondary education) is more robust in some ways.

i haven't even mentioned how incredibly one-sided those students are who "succeed".

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 01-03-2014 at 04:01 PM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #29
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Are they teaching them social skills yet? No? Then we still rein.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #30
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
and i'm happy i grew up here instead of in asia...no way i would survive in that kind of educational environment, i am way too ADD and have too many interests other than studying. and IMO the american way of learning (college education on, not talking about primary/secondary education) is more robust in some ways
10/10 on the unintentional irony comedy scale

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #31
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
it's because kids have no personal responsibility, their parents are ****ing useless, and the system rewards failure.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #32
Dinan e36

My Ride: LEXUS IS350
Send a message via AIM to Dinan e36
Quote:
if they can immigrate yeah they may have better opportunities here, but that's only if they have the chance to. if you go back to asia, look at the number of college degree grads with no jobs. talk to any college student even in a technical degree, the consensus is the same: hard to find and low paying jobs even if they get a job in their technical field of choice.

and i'm happy i grew up here instead of in asia...no way i would survive in that kind of educational environment, i am way too ADD and have too many interests other than studying. and IMO the american way of learning (college education on, not talking about primary/secondary education) is more robust in some ways.

i haven't even mentioned how incredibly one-sided those students are who "succeed".
Do you know how big Asia is? Define 'american' way of learning and its 'robustness'?
Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #33
dreamdrivedrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan e36 View Post
Do you know how big Asia is? Define 'american' way of learning and its 'robustness'?

being able to learn and apply concepts in a manipulable and creative fashion rather than rote memorization & studying off Q banks

granted, my experience is based off family members & friends in taiwan, but the pressure/culture/system there is generalizable to a lot of asia. and yes i have more than a few family members who are in/have graduated from the top universities/HS/programs there (e.g. NTU medicine).

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 01-03-2014 at 04:44 PM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #34
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
US teens lag in global education rankings as Asian countries rise to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
Are they teaching them social skills yet? No? Then we still rein.
Irony

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #35
Dinan e36

Quote:

being able to learn and apply concepts in a manipulable and creative fashion rather than rote memorization & studying off Q banks

granted, my experience is based off family members & friends in taiwan, but the pressure/culture/system there is generalizable to a lot of asia. and yes i have more than a few family members who are in/have graduated from the top universities/HS/programs there (e.g. NTU medicine).
I think we found the issue in your logic.

Quote:
Please define this? Sounds hyper vague and non definitive.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #36
dreamdrivedrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan e36 View Post
I think we found the issue in your logic.

Please define this? Sounds hyper vague and non definitive.
maybe you are right, maybe not, either way im sure we'd love to hear your input.

it is vague because it is the result of a different style of teaching which shows up in many ways
Old 01-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #37
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Lets keep it that way, keeps plenty of jobs open for us mathies. That's right kids, go to school and get a business major plsthx
Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #38
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Until we get rid of grade inflation and encourage careers in math and science instead of encouraging people to go into management, we will continue to lag behind.....
Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #39
Dinan e36

Re: US teens lag in global education rankings as Asian countries rise to the top

Quote:
maybe you are right, maybe not, either way im sure we'd love to hear your input.

it is vague because it is the result of a different style of teaching which shows up in many ways
Why should I? The article explains the poor education that we have in the US pretty well. Numbers don't lie.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #40
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
US teens lag in global education rankings as Asian countries rise to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
if we privatized all the schools, everything would be better.
Actually yes, that would work quite well.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote