E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.50 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
jM2.me

My Ride: BMW
What is wrong with my wheels?

I can't figure out what is wrong with wheels on my car, and this thread made me question wheels even more.

Wheels on my car
Front 19x8.5 ET35 with 225/35/19
Height: (225*0.35)*2 + 483 = 641mm
Rear 19.9.5 ET35 with 255/30/19
Height: (255*0.3)*2 + 483 = 637mm

Wheels on LudwigPT's ex-E46
Front 19x9.5 ET32 with 225/35/19
Rear 19x10 ET22 with 225/35/19
Height: (225*0.35)*2 + 483 = 641mm

Now look at wheel well space on his e46 and on mine.

Both of the cars, his and mine, have M3 rear quarter panels, and I don't understand how my car has more wheel well space to fill, heightwise, than his.
The only two possible explanations are lower drop or rear panels were done differently, which I doubt would affect wheel well space.

My problem with my wheels is that wheel well is not filled leaving a gap, even with spacers.
Pretty sure I can go with 255/40/19 in rear and have 0 rubbing problem.

Last edited by jM2.me; 01-05-2014 at 10:45 AM.
jM2.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Bigger tire
Different Offsets
Wider Wheel
Spacers
Lower
Camber

And doesn't have the stupid M gills on his sedan. Stahp it.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Danfromomaha

My Ride: 2002 325i
What is wrong with my wheels?

You're asking why you have space between the fender and the tire, correct?
I don't know much about wheels, but won't offset have something to do with it? I mean, there a 13 offset difference between your rears and his rears...he is also running a bit wider wheel, but not by much. I would say offset is your troublemaker here.

If you're asking why you have finger-space between the top of your wheel and the fender, then I would suspect a drop on ludWigs car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Solidjake; 01-05-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Danfromomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Wheels too big.
Tires too thin.
Car too low/handling greatly reduced and compromised.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
jM2.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
Bigger tire
Fronts are the same, and sidewall on my rears is millimeters lower.

Quote:
Different Offsets
Wider Wheel
Spacers
I have 20mm spacers (should of went with 15mm), which theoretically lowers offset to 15mm. Compare 10" ET22 and 9.5" ET15 and you get 13mm more inner clearance and 9.5" extends 1mm further.

Quote:
Lower
Camber
Could be either one, but looking at spacing between sideskirt and ground, it doesn't look like there is much difference. Although camber could be the reason.

Quote:
And doesn't have the stupid M gills on his sedan. Stahp it.
Ohh snap, you got me. Don't worry I don't plan on lowering the value of your m3 by putting M3 badges on my car.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son

^that m3 value is already not good IMO. torn subframe, butchered front bumper fitment, and replaced OE xenon with $20 chop suey DDM HID

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Chaplian

My Ride: M56 SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jM2.me View Post

That'll do it in the back. There's a big difference, even if it's "only" millimeters lower.
Chaplian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
ChrisRedmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jM2.me View Post

I have 20mm spacers (should of went with 15mm), which theoretically lowers offset to 15mm. Compare 10" ET22 and 9.5" ET15 and you get 13mm more inner clearance and 9.5" extends 1mm further.

Could be either one, but looking at spacing between sideskirt and ground, it doesn't look like there is much difference. Although camber could be the reason.

Ohh snap, you got me. Don't worry I don't plan on lowering the value of your m3 by putting M3 badges on my car.

No. You may have the same size tires but his is on a wider wheel. Giving him the stretched stancebro look. Just because you are pushing the wheel outwards does not give you the concave look like his car has. The camber will have a lot to do with it.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
They're too chrome. Ditch the chrome thing and go with whatever that color is every alloy wheel uses.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
ChrisRedmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
^that m3 value is already not good IMO. torn subframe, butchered front bumper fitment, and replaced OE xenon with $20 chop suey DDM HID

Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
Zell

Considering what happens when most young people finance an E46, I'd say ChrisRedmon is a pretty darn good success story. 'spect

Last edited by Zell; 01-05-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #12
ChrisRedmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Considering what happens when most young people finance an E46, I'd say ChrisRedmon is a pretty darn good success story. 'spect

But seriously OP, if you want that look. Find out what suspension and alignment specs he was dialed in at. You will never truly get that look without those wheel offsets though. Goodluck

Old 01-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
Mango
A full five stars, son

I forgot that that car is also financed

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
ChrisRedmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I forgot that that car is also financed
Dude seriously? I forgot how outrageously persistent you are in an attempt to make someone look foolish. I apologize on his behalf OP for ruining your thread like he does so many others. I have >2000$ left, Mango. Thats nothing. What is your problem? I am young building my credit. Please, go outside. See the sun. Get a girlfriend. Or some lotion. Just please..... tone down the super patriot A++ sport Supercalifragilisticexpialidociousness for the sake of everyone maintaining their sanity.

The fact that you haven't been banned blows my mind. But at the same time, you probably need this website way more than it needs you.

Last edited by ChrisRedmon; 01-05-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
Mango
A full five stars, son

huh? im not talkin about you. there was someone in another thread not too long ago. geeze

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #16
jM2.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
They're too chrome. Ditch the chrome thing and go with whatever that color is every alloy wheel uses.
I wouldn't say that they are chrome, but more like machined aluminum
For what it's worth, I got them for cheap price, and they were like brand new, not a single curb rash. A year later I still have not a single clue what's the brand or the style, and I have seen them only on e9x once. They fit e9x better than e46.

But back on topic, do you have any input regarding the wheel well space?

Quote:
No. You may have the same size tires but his is on a wider wheel. Giving him the stretched stancebro look. Just because you are pushing the wheel outwards does not give you the concave look like his car has. The camber will have a lot to do with it.
I still don't understand how stretched tires on wider wheels can fill out wheel well so much. Camber, yes I do see how that might change the look, so I am going to see if OP posts camber specs.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Quote:
The only two possible explanations are lower drop or rear panels were done differently, which I doubt would affect wheel well space.
There you have it. If you don't have the same drop it would obviously affect this. Do you have the exact suspension setup on both cars?
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #18
ChrisRedmon

Well the wider wheel is self explanatory. When you stretch the tire it allows you to run that much more negative camber and be that much lower without rubbing. He is also probably running spacers. His set up obviously took a lot of measurements and guess & testing. First get his specs

Old 01-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #19
Zell

tbh wheels aren't my thing, I don't know dick about offsets and all that. If I am looking at wheels I look up the offset on my car and try to find the same :p it's just not something I've researched really at all. I just look more at style and color.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #20
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
SO for starters, let's look at the back. Your wheels are .5" narrower. If both wheels were the same offset, that's .25" you're losing right there, which is roughly 6mm. But here's the real difference - your wheels are +35mm and his are +22mm. That's 13mm. Your wheels are a total of 19mm in farther than his wheels. Either you can't do math or you don't know how offsets work. The lower the number (or more negative), the farther the wheel sticks out.

And your cars are clearly not the same ride height. Not even close. Your car looks like a monster truck compared to his.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote