E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
sony a7

anyone else into this camera? I had the chance to play with one yesterday and well..bye bye 5d..I hope to pick one up in a few months, I mean the size of this thing and the pictures it produces is pretty insane.

I tried out the nikon df because I was originally considering it and it just didn't feel right for me. This camera though made me want to pick up photography again asap.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
5D replacement? Is it seriously that good? What about lenses, surely there aren't as many as Canon offers.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
malina

My Ride: stock ZHP
Breezy, check out this board for user input: http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/emount-f...e_forum59.html
There's just a few native lenses (FE mount) available so far that don't offer anything better that's already available from Canon, Nikon or even Sony Alpha. Good thing about this camera is that you can adapt any lens available out there.
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
triton3k

My Ride: 2007 Acura TL Type-S
Send a message via AIM to triton3k Send a message via Yahoo to triton3k
I tried it out about 2 weeks ago and while its a great camera the lens selection kills it for me. Once Sony can get their lenses up to par then maybe I'll think of getting one. But the weight and size are great for a full frame camera.
triton3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
3quarterI

My Ride: 2010 Honda Insight
did a lot of research on this and picked up an a7 body last weekend. haven't got a lens yet but you can buy adaptors so you can put canon, nikon, leica, sony etc lenses on it. i think my first lens will be the native 35mm zeiss prime.
3quarterI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
^ Look forward to seeing some of your work from it.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
I was *This* close to getting one instead of the M240 I grabbed. The lens selection is the best in the world when you consider you can use it with every Zeiss and Leica lens out there. The only limitation is the A7r isn't so pleased with wide angle Leica's (which cost an assload anyways), they say you want to stay away from anything under 28mm with it. But the A7, which is just as good as the A7r for most anything, doesn't seem to mind it. If Leica lenses are too rich for your blood, Zeiss stuff is arguably as good, but for considerably less. Even Voigtlander makes lenses that're still superior to most of Canon's offerings, but for equal cost.

I still consider getting one as a camera for bringing into really risky situations.

And before anyone says you need ABF (autobitch focus) on your camera I say you haven't seen how quick and precise the focus peaking is on the A7. I tooled around with a pre-release one and it really makes you hnnnnngg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
5D replacement? Is it seriously that good? What about lenses, surely there aren't as many as Canon offers.
It wipes the floor with the 5D,
http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sony-...us-competition

It uses the same sensor as the D800 (which is actually made by sony for Nikon), and it's generally accepted the D800/e has the best sensor on the market.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/1...drew-paquette/
Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
ik47

My Ride: bmw m3 e46
sony a7

Hopefully u talking about the original 5d not mark iii .if u think the a7 or r7 better then 5d mark 3 . Then you have no clue about photography . The iso noise is way way way way better in 5d then in a7 and much better then r7 . The more megapixels the more noise .

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ik47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik47 View Post
Hopefully u talking about the original 5d not mark iii .if u think the a7 or r7 better then 5d mark 3 . Then you have no clue about photography . The iso noise is way way way way better in 5d then in a7 and much better then r7 . The more megapixels the more noise .

I'm not talking about the mark iii, I'm talking about the 5d2. Try not to make assumptions, and post more intelligently.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
I was *This* close to getting one instead of the M240 I grabbed. The lens selection is the best in the world when you consider you can use it with every Zeiss and Leica lens out there. The only limitation is the A7r isn't so pleased with wide angle Leica's (which cost an assload anyways), they say you want to stay away from anything under 28mm with it. But the A7, which is just as good as the A7r for most anything, doesn't seem to mind it. If Leica lenses are too rich for your blood, Zeiss stuff is arguably as good, but for considerably less. Even Voigtlander makes lenses that're still superior to most of Canon's offerings, but for equal cost.

I still consider getting one as a camera for bringing into really risky situations.

And before anyone says you need ABF (autobitch focus) on your camera I say you haven't seen how quick and precise the focus peaking is on the A7. I tooled around with a pre-release one and it really makes you hnnnnngg.

It wipes the floor with the 5D,
http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sony-...us-competition

It uses the same sensor as the D800 (which is actually made by sony for Nikon), and it's generally accepted the D800/e has the best sensor on the market.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/1...drew-paquette/
Exactly, I love the fact that you can use virtually any lens with this system. I am looking into going the zeiss route when funds allow, for right now I'm going to be taking a break from photography until I can pick this thing up.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ik47 View Post

How about you not be such a nitwit and click on the link which has a direct comparison of the A7 and the 5D Mk.III, including noise performance.

So how about you read and think a little instead of making a baseless claim. There's this thing called technology, and it helps you do things like have high resolution AND excellent high ISO performance.

Sadly I think canon just got too hurt from the tsunami a while back, it hurt them financially quite a bit, and they've been lacking ever since. I think they've been putting their efforts in to the cinema world now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
Exactly, I love the fact that you can use virtually any lens with this system. I am looking into going the zeiss route when funds allow, for right now I'm going to be taking a break from photography until I can pick this thing up.
If you've got a whole bunch of L lenses, you could definitely let them go for about what most of the Zeiss's are going for.

I love the 50 1.5 C sonnar (flickr pool) it's great value at $1200 (I'm sure even cheaper used), they just have some focus shift which makes them less useful for a rangefinder guy like me. The Zeiss 50 2 Planar is also fantastic (flickr pool, steve huff review) and an even better value at $859.00 And for going wide angle, there's the biogon 35/2 (steve huff review, flickr pool), also not bad at $1087.00.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
wtf. I need to play with one. I still haven't gotten my hands on a MKIII, just a MKII a friend of mine has and it was pretty much amazing. For the A7 to be THAT much better than the MKIII is really saying something, especially at that price point.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
3quarterI

My Zeiss 35mm came in today! I'm going to Austin this weekend so hopefully I'll have some decent shots to share and let you know my initial reviews of the body/lens combo. My only complaints thus far has to do with battery life (I knew it was going to be bad but I was still surprised how fast it drained) and I don't like how the battery is charged (very short cable from the wall to the camera, no separate battery charger). The size of the combo is perfect though

a7 & 35mm f2.8 by dmc210, on Flickr
Old 01-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
Breezy

how short a battery life are we talking here?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
328iGuy
SensFan

My Ride: 2012 Audi Q7 S-Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3quarterI View Post
My Zeiss 35mm came in today! I'm going to Austin this weekend so hopefully I'll have some decent shots to share and let you know my initial reviews of the body/lens combo. My only complaints thus far has to do with battery life (I knew it was going to be bad but I was still surprised how fast it drained) and I don't like how the battery is charged (very short cable from the wall to the camera, no separate battery charger). The size of the combo is perfect though

a7 & 35mm f2.8 by dmc210, on Flickr
Have to say for Zeiss that is one ugly a$$ peice of glass!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #16
3quarterI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iGuy View Post
Have to say for Zeiss that is one ugly a$$ peice of glass!
Lol that is the lens hood, without the hood it looks like a regular lens

Sent from my HTCONE using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #17
ik47

My Ride: bmw m3 e46
To k2pilot. You don't have to post all this bs about specs of sony and canon . Because there is ton of proof that over all ,in terms of durability ,quality and lens selections . 5d mark iii wins . Its even funny that you are arguing . Ask any real photographer and he will tell you what camera would be the best . I mean dude its even two different classes of cameras ! But any way believe it or not, I'm a sony fan my self i have sony nex7 and just sold my a77 . The sony has a great technology and yes in most cases they are way ahead of canon . But they really need to step up with their quality in terms of weather sealing and lens selection and actual in camera software .

ik47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #18
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Any samples you guys have taken with it?

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:05 AM   #19
3quarterI

_DSC0102 by dmc210, on Flickr

_DSC0090 by dmc210, on Flickr

_DSC0096 by dmc210, on Flickr
Old 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #20
HellFish

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
I'll admit I don't know everything about the Sony, but I do love that with Canon and Nikon, you have a solid range of lenses behind it. I know you can buy Zeiss lenses for the Sony which are obviously great quality, but I love my red rings I have loved my 5D3 ever since I bought it, but maybe my opinion would change if I shot with the Sony. I do like the feeling of a big camera when I am on a mission for a certain image though. I bought a Sony RX100 II for a point and shoot with DSLR quality. We'll see how it does.

I'll be curious to see how this all plays out.

According to this review, the Canon has better noise performance at high ISO.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/So...II_noise.shtml

Another review - I thought their comparison to the 5D3 was well thought out.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/So.../verdict.shtml

Last edited by HellFish; 01-29-2014 at 11:10 AM.
HellFish is offline   Reply With Quote