E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Phrygian

My Ride: 2000 323i
Subframe Reinforcement and Bushings

Used subframes seem to be fairly inexpensive, so I'm considering buying one to save time by prepping it in advance before I drop the rear end out of my car. Does anyone with experience doing this job know how much time this might save?

Last edited by Phrygian; 01-05-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Phrygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Flop

My Ride: '04 330Ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
Used subframes seem to be fairly inexpensive, so I'm considering buying one to save time by prepping it in advance before I drop the rear end out of my car. Does anyone with experience doing this job know how much time this might save?
I just did both the subframe and diff bushings. They come out easier than you think. The hardest one to do is the large rear diff bushing. You will need a puller, a STRONG puller.

I have pics of removing my bushings in my build thread.

Probably took me 3-4 hrs to remove the old bushings, and another hour to press in the new ones.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Phrygian

Nice build thread. I'll probably be sticking to rubber, unless someone can convince me otherwise. I'm not really looking for performance, just a solid daily driver. I just recently did my front end and kept it stock, although I'm kind of regretting not going with sport springs and struts while I had the opportunity.

Last edited by Phrygian; 01-05-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Flop

Quote:
Nice build thread. I'll probably be sticking to rubber, unless someone can convince me otherwise. I'm not really looking for performance, just a solid daily driver. I just recently did my front end and kept it stock, although I'm kind of regretting not going with sport springs and struts while I had the opportunity.
Going to poly subframe bushings will not increase any NVH. See the thread below for an enthusiasts review of AKG's poly 90a subframe bushings.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=411517

Going to poly diff bushings, however, WILL increase NVH (mainly increased gear noise).
Old 01-06-2014, 01:52 AM   #5
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
I have PowerFlex subframe bushings in one car, AKG 75D in another, and zero problems with either. The latter are stiffer, but theformer are ffor my DD and fit the need perfectly.
I went with TMS semi-solid diff mounts/bushings, and very happy.

One benefit of swapping in a new one is that you can do the work without being pressured by time.
If I were you, I would get it powder coated, a nice black. It would look nice, but also prevent rust.

Are you doing weld in plates? If so, it's worth it to get the full chassis kit from TMS, which really tightens up the car. It was still cheaper than buying individual components, for me, even though I wasn't going to use the rear control arm reinforcements (installed TMS adj RCA's at the same time).

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
Phrygian

The plates will be arc welded. I have a friend that can help me with that.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Phrygian

I've got a subframe and OEM/Meyle HD diff bushings on the way. Now, after much reading, I'm considering going with Powerflex 70A subframe bushings. I only want to do this job once.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
nleksan

Go with AKG 75D for subframe and differential. While I've had zero problems with PF, I believe that the Quality Control may have declined of late, and with the newest bushings from them on any of my cars at around 2yrs (oldest 5yrs), I can't guarantee the current batches are as good. AKG I have used within the last few months, just before mid Fall, and the consistency is as good as ever.

I also believe that having a consistent durometer rating across all heavily loaded suspension (ie subframe) parts, as wellas drivetrain parts, wwould be better than significant variations between mounts. I am a biochemical engineer, not mechanical, so far froman eexpert, it isjjust what makes sense to me.

- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
Old 01-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
Go with AKG 75D for subframe and differential. While I've had zero problems with PF, I believe that the Quality Control may have declined of late, and with the newest bushings from them on any of my cars at around 2yrs (oldest 5yrs), I can't guarantee the current batches are as good. AKG I have used within the last few months, just before mid Fall, and the consistency is as good as ever.

I also believe that having a consistent durometer rating across all heavily loaded suspension (ie subframe) parts, as wellas drivetrain parts, wwould be better than significant variations between mounts. I am a biochemical engineer, not mechanical, so far froman eexpert, it isjjust what makes sense to me.
75D diff bushings will be pretty noisy. I have the 90a AKG bushings and am considering swapping at least the front mounts back to OEM. 75D might as well be solid aluminum.

My recommendation would be solid subframe bushings coupled with OEM diff bushings. Best of both worlds without the added NVH. No sense in "matching" durometers.

Last edited by Flop; 01-17-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #10
Phrygian

As I said, I have already ordered OEM front diff bushings and a Meyle HD rear.

nleksan, what makes you question the quality of the Powerflex bushings? I'm having a hard enough time justifying roughly $215 on what is simply some plastic and a little bit of aluminum. I'm not paying $250 for the AKGs. I'm actually considering the Revshift subframe bushings which are $189.99.

My subframe arrived today. I started a new project thread here.

Last edited by Phrygian; 01-18-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
nleksan

I personally have had ZERO problems with ANY Powerflex products, I have just noticed an uptick in bashing them. Thought it best to share.

GARAGE:
Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #12
Flop

Quote:
As I said, I have already ordered OEM front diff bushings and a Meyle HD rear.

nleksan, what makes you question the quality of the Powerflex bushings? I'm having a hard enough time justifying roughly $215 on what is simply some plastic and a little bit of aluminum. I'm not paying $250 for the AKGs. I'm actually considering the Revshift subframe bushings which are $189.99.

My subframe arrived today. I started a new project thread here.
Those revshift bushings look fine. Pretty good deal too. Get the 95a ones
Old 01-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #13
Phrygian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
Those revshift bushings look fine. Pretty good deal too. Get the 95a ones
The 95As in my lowly little 323i with non-sport suspension?

I searched for some examples of the Revshift subframe bushings in E46s, but I haven't found any. There are lots of posts about the flexdisc/guibo though. Maybe I'll be a guinea pig.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #14
Flop

Quote:
The 95As in my lowly little 323i with non-sport suspension?

I searched for some examples of the Revshift subframe bushings in E46s, but I haven't found any. There are lots of posts about the flexdisc/guibo though. Maybe I'll be a guinea pig.
I bet you won't notice a difference between the 95a and the 80a ones. Both are much firmer than stock. The reason I'd recommend you go with the 95a ones is that you stated you don't want to ever have to replace them again. 95a will be less prone to wearing out.

Anyway, either one would be good. And the community would sure appreciate you giving them a try, too! :thumb up: Subframe bushings are pretty hard to screw up... just a round slug of polyurethane with an aluminum center. I wouldn't be worried about them not fitting.

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #15
Phrygian

I ordered the Revshift bushings today ... the green ones
Old 01-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #16
Flop

Quote:
I ordered the Revshift bushings today ... the green ones
Good man.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
Phrygian

I ordered the Revshift bushings on the 23rd. The only thing I've received so far is a payment confirmation. As of this evening, no bushings, no e-mail or indication they have shipped, no tracking number, and no response to the e-mail I sent them over the weekend asking for a status on the order.

Update: The bushings were shipped 1/7 and I received them on 1/11.

Last edited by Phrygian; 02-12-2014 at 10:50 AM.